Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zacrash65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

That's super helpful! I appreciate it.
I'm sure I'll have to contend with old stuff settling - but having a launch point to start from is mucho bueno!
FandFVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alright guys.. here is how you lower your bus.

Trade me your stock height late-split set up and done. 😬

I’ve got an adjustable WagensWest beam with disc drop spindles, offset and notched spring plates. Trans pops out of 4th gear sometimes so that may need some addressing. Tires included as I won’t need them once I’m back at stock height.

Last edited by FandFVintage on Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

FandFVintage wrote:

Trade me your stock height late-split set up and done. 😬

I’ve got an adjustable WagensWest beam with disc drop spindles, offset and notched spring plates with IRS. Trans pops out of 4th gear. Tires included as I won’t need them once I’m back at stock height.

Place a "want to trade" ad in the classified section on here. You will get most of what you need.
Splitsundial
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Vintagespeed wrote:
when lowered just one spline with RGB's, would a sealed oil bearing be advised? Do I need to notch the spring plate?

I'd like to keep my stock tranny with RGB and just have a mild drop, so not two splines or flipped RGB's.

Any advise?

I had no issues on my reduction box lowered bus, and it was my daily driver for years. I did not notch the plates, Bearings were standard

What are the tire and wheels specs? What was front lowered on?
FeveredMind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I posted these images in my build thread but I thought I would post them here too to see if the lowering geniuses here can help.

Can anyone tell me if this will work for lowering my bus? I believe so. It appears to be a late beetle IRS case, but modified to SA with what looks like a long casings, so probably 68 and up axles, correct?

Also, any idea what those brakes might be? The drums are 5 lug.

Last edited by FeveredMind on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Definitely long axle tubes and end castings. Likely from a 68 bug. Can't tell for sure on the drums, but they are either Thing drums, or early type 3, or modified early bus. Lets see a photo of the drum face, and better yet, pull one off and show us the brakes and the inside of the drum.
FeveredMind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Definitely long axle tubes and end castings. Likely from a 68 bug. Can't tell for sure on the drums, but they are either Thing drums, or early type 3, or modified early bus. Lets see a photo of the drum face, and better yet, pull one off and show us the brakes and the inside of the drum.

Once the trans arrives at my house, I'll definitely take a few more. This trans was given to me from the kind gent with the cherry picker, so can't beat that. My dad is driving it down to me next week.
FeveredMind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

So the trans just arrived and I’m going to have to wait until tomorrow to try and get the drums off but until then here are two pictures that may help decipher what we are working with here. Those drums are definitely not “stock”.

Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

It looks like the earlier style type 3. Later type 3 were 4 lug with a separate hub/drum setup. Either can be used on your axles, but the 4 lug would require adapters to run wide 5’s. Your drums have had studs installed. The type 3 gives you bigger diameter brakes than the type 1 that would have been stock on that axle. For rebuild parts, check here:
https://vwispwest.com/
Some type 3 are getting harder to find, but the good news in this case is late Super Beetle FRONT wheel cylinders and hardware kits are the same as type 3 rear (cheaper and easier to get). The shoes are not.
FeveredMind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Krustybus wrote:
It looks like the earlier style type 3. Later type 3 were 4 lug with a separate hub/drum setup. Either can be used on your axles, but the 4 lug would require adapters to run wide 5’s. Your drums have had studs installed. The type 3 gives you bigger diameter brakes than the type 1 that would have been stock on that axle. For rebuild parts, check here:
https://vwispwest.com/
Some type 3 are getting harder to find, but the good news in this case is late Super Beetle FRONT wheel cylinders and hardware kits are the same as type 3 rear (cheaper and easier to get). The shoes are not.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping these brakes were type 3. I like the idea of the added stopping power.

I did notice the studs as well. Ill have to get the drum off to see if those can be removed. I don't mind trying to track down some new drums.

If I pick up wide 5 replacement drums, do I still need to run a spacer for spring plate clearance on 15" stock bus wheels? I have read through the thread and this still puzzles me a bit.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Sorry, can’t answer that question. I’ve only used early (no spacer or adaptor) and late (just adapter) with aftermarket wheels.
Be aware that with the larger diameter drum and lowered height, it can be challenging to get the tires on and off.
Also, I was able to get 5 lug drums at ISP, but that was last October.
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I have a 61 bus, can I swap the axels on the stock transmission to be able to lower the bus using 68 bug axels and tubes?

Or would it be an easier task to just replace the entire trans with a 68 bug trans/motor? I want to keep the matching numbers trans and motor installed, just need to know what I’m up against. Would also like to get rid of the gear reduction on the bus as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

The gears in the reduction boxes reverse the direction of axle rotation. Simply swapping out axles will leave you with 4 reverse gears and 1 forward. You can pull the trans apart and flip the ring gear to the other side. You may want to consider swapping in a complete type 1 trans and putting your numbers matching unit in storage in the event you want to go back stock. You would need a bus nosecone and hockey stick for the type 1 swap.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

BATComm1 wrote:
Anybody installed a Vintage VDub IRS conversion kit...I have one I bought several years back before my cancer fight started, just getting back to installing and have spring plate issues...cant get any answers out of them or return phone calls...

The adjustable spring plates seem to have bigger ends, by this I mean the ends that go into the torsion bar housing with the rubber mounts, they are larger in diameter and will not just push into the housing like the stock plates do..even using a little help from a dead blow and some poly lube, if I do get them to go in using the plate cover and the bolts when I take the cover off the plate will literally "pop" out of the housing.... any advise??

Has this been solved? Vintage VDUB is the only complete kit I can find.

https://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/irs-conversion-kit-transmission-split-window-bus-56-67/

Adam47374
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

So having my transaxle rebuilt, with gear reduction boxes. The shop asked if I wanted to go straight axel instead. If I planned on lowering it, now is the time, and they have the correct tubes and axels...

So if I go that way, from what I'm seeing I need to modify the trailing arms, and then add dropped spindles on the front, for a total of a 3.5" drop. What year rear brakes would I use from a type 3 to get wide 5? Can I run the stock size tires (even on just the rear), or is that not going to happen? Later I would like to get some 17" wheels, will that change anything?

Can I lower the front some other cheap way for the short term, then next winter go to the dropped spindles?

Just trying to get an idea how much extra this is going to run me, don't plan on hauling anything in this bus, so weight isn't an issue. However I'm not trying to spend too much money doing this, since I'm also getting my bug back on the road at the same time.. It's killing the budget already as is.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

If drop spindles don't seem inexpensive enough for you to do this now, don't lower your bus.

Drop spindles are pretty cheap, and lowering your bus can be a simple thing. But if saving money is more important that building your lowered bus properly, then keep it stock and have that trans rebuilt with stock RGB setup.
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

If I'm using offset spring plates with long axle and long tubes do I use the 311 501 311 A bearing cap?

Thanks in Advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pacblue63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Like to kno what i will need to run 17” brms on my 1962 singlecab
Currently have front flipped spindles rear is stock big nut trans w/rgb’s
Any info is helpful
Thank you Samba members
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

IF you run 17's, you are likely to end up with Rubber Band style tires.
You will sacrifice any decent ride.
Any lowered Bus, I would recommend OIL Adjustable Koni's at 4 corners.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
BATComm1 wrote:
Anybody installed a Vintage VDub IRS conversion kit...I have one I bought several years back before my cancer fight started, just getting back to installing and have spring plate issues...cant get any answers out of them or return phone calls...

The adjustable spring plates seem to have bigger ends, by this I mean the ends that go into the torsion bar housing with the rubber mounts, they are larger in diameter and will not just push into the housing like the stock plates do..even using a little help from a dead blow and some poly lube, if I do get them to go in using the plate cover and the bolts when I take the cover off the plate will literally "pop" out of the housing.... any advise??

Has this been solved? Vintage VDUB is the only complete kit I can find.

https://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/irs-conversion-kit-transmission-split-window-bus-56-67/

I don't believe this advertiser is allowed to sell here any longer. Terrible rep, questionable workmanship, etc. You would be better off to delete that post
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 98 of 100

Jump to: