Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edvic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Moderator notes:
This thread is intended to be the "official" thread for all 15" tire discussion.

15" wheels and tires information:
Original bias ply tire size:
15" wheels - 6.40x15 tires - closest radial is 175R15 - most people use 205/75R15 or some of the more recently available 195R15 tires

The original 15" tire size was, according to the VW shop manual:
3/4 ton (small nut) models came with a 6.40-15 tire, having a diameter of 27.16", +/- .24".

Wheel size is 15"x4.5" wide

========================================
Original post:

I've got a 63 camper (panel conversion and my first splitty) that came with the 1500 option, but now has a 1600 dp. The 1500 cc option had the large drums. Its got the gear reduction boxes, a 3.88 rp, and 15 inch wheels.

I've read and read tire posts so I wouldn't have to ask, but the more I learn, the less sure I am. Here's what I need -- where do I buy sidewall reinforced radials with a load range of C that will fit the stock 15" wheels, and run as close to stock as possible. My mechanic is pushing for lower profile (read passenger) than what I've located so far. I've only had luck finding 215/75R15s that are SR and reasonable in price (tiresavings.com). I think he's concerned about those larger tires and the 3.88, but I really don't want the passenger tires he suggested -- I've read all the posts on that.

Those Cooper 195 R15s sound perfect, but will they fit? If not, is anyone aware of 205/75/15s that are SR? Any suggestions would be appreciated -- and please tell me where to find em. It would be great to find something under $100/tire. Thanks
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I just bought a set (Thanks to this board telling the Big Blue Piece Of S**T it was going to be in a picture at Terrville)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyways called Corker They said so sad to bad... Went online searching and found Continental Vanco8 195 70 r15. They have a load rating of 1984lbs per tire. Seem good but haven't put miles on them. Tire rack is backordered with a unknown time when they will get them. Got mine from Town Fair Tire (local chain).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Edvic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, obviously I saw that cooper post. damn. I thought I'd finally found a good tire. didn't he offer to buy them from ya? hope nothin nasty happened. I'll start looking for your suggestion.

by the way, do you see any issues with your tire fitting in a wheel well with gear reduction and the larger drums? any issue with a 3.88? I'm new to splittys so if a question sounds dumb, it is. thanks for the reply
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with the wheel arch. The drum /reduction boxes won't interfer with sock rims (unless you put bus rims on a bug then you hit the swing plate).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to drive with the new tires today and I'm pleased. Now to load it up..............................
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires -- size and where to get em Reply with quote

Hi Edvic,
For the 1955-early 1964 bus you want a 205/75R15 tire. That is as close to stock diameter as possible without going to a bias tire from places like Coker. For the bus you NEED 1525 Lbs. or higher tire weight rating, this specification is molded into the tire sidewall.
We are running a P205/75R15 tire on our front axle that is a "Trail A/P Pathfinder" weight rated 1598 Lbs.. We get our tires from local "Discount Tire" shop because they are the only ones here in town who have the wide five adapter to balance the tires.
If you have a late 1962-early 1964 bus with ribbed rear wheel wells you can run bigger tires in the rear if you need more MPH at lower RPM. We have tried 215/75s and even 235/75s back there.
The Cooper 195/80R15s do look interesting for a rear tire especially if one is running the earlier 1955-early 1962 flat lower rear wheel wells.
In some instances depending on where your spare stows away the 205/75s will not fit in the spare position. Mayhaps the Cooper tire would in some of these situations. Due to spare position fit, we have a wimpy 165SR15 bug (1200 weight rated) tire on a bus rim for a short range only spare in our 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion.
Going from the bug tires to a properly weight rated bus tire was like night and day for visability! No more involuntary automatically changing lanes in side winds or when a semi passed us!
Eric&Barb

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edvic I just put 205-75-15 Cooper Treadsetter SE tires on my 61 standard. They are rated at 1598 lbs and made a world of difference in the handling. The speedo is very close to being dead on, will have to get a 165-15 for a spare as Eric and Barb. said.
Edvic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice -- really. I was torn between 205/75/15s and the Cooper 195/R15 Discoverer. I ordered the Discoverer this weekend before I read the last three replies (I thought the thread was done). We'll see. The thing I like about the Discoverer is that's its a C load range 6 ply, and its a tad taller than a 205/75/15. Its the closest tire to stock I could find that was 6 ply. Thanks again!
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of 195/75/15 goodyear wranglers on my 59 23 Window. Great tires, LT rated.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of these for a 14" wheel. Does anyone know who's bus this is? (so I can shoot them a PM)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Load Range C, 6 ply, 15 inch tires needed Reply with quote

Ok. This is a very specific question, limited to my search for a load range C, 6 ply-reinforced sidewall tire for 15 inch rims. Mightymouse, I've probably read all of your endorsements of bias ply tires and I have no problem with them - but for my camper I want radials.

I owned a camper with 195/75 R15 Cooper Discoverer's discussed above (in fact, I'm Edvic - I don't remember why I started a new username - must've had login issues or something). I've now owned 4 buses. Only one of them had the Load Range C 6-ply tires. There is no comparison to other tires as far as cornering and tighter ride. Keep in mind that there are tires that can carry up to 1600 lbs each, but that do not have reinforced sidewalls.

In fact, I already have tires rated at 1598 each on my camper, but they are 3 ply and feel like I'm driving around on marshmallows compared to those Cooper Discoverers. I have searched for 205/75 R15 and 195/75 R15 (including the Coopers above) with no luck other than a set of trailer tires at Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.js...33&y=8

Does anyone have suggestions for a load range C 6 ply tire in either of these two sizes? I'm interested in these sizes, because they are close to stock. These are going on a 60 Westy.

For a discussion of the problems with weight ratings on passenger rated tires with heavier vehicles, see:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am picking up tomorrow new tires for my blue kombi.
Ordered a set of LT rated tires from Bridgestone, 195R15, mounted on stock rims.
I measured them on the shop and are 690mm OD, as close as you can get from the original, very similar thread as the bias plys. Will post photos...
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like the 215 75 15 size tire. Has anyone hit the highway with this size tire? How did your bus do?
Camping is cheaper than therapy.

Last edited by 61TXghia on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
I still like the 215 75 15 size tire. Has anyone hit the highway with this size tire? How did your bos do?

Im running 215/75/15s on my bus with big nut reductions and a 412 r&p with 0.82 4th. Gained 5mph over the original small nut boxes so she cruises nicely at 60mph and gives great mpg.

Not sure what bos is.
brese73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: 205 60 15 Reply with quote

anybody ever try 205 60 15 on a bus?
tev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
61TXghia wrote:
I still like the 215 75 15 size tire. Has anyone hit the highway with this size tire? How did your bos do?

Im running 215/75/15s on my bus with big nut reductions and a 412 r&p with 0.82 4th. Gained 5mph over the original small nut boxes so she cruises nicely at 60mph and gives great mpg.

Not sure what bos is.

Here's what I've found - this set will be going on a 60 SO23. It's my understanding that stock tire height was right at 27", right? But what I'm more concerned about is width on a 60.

First, here's a chart for bias ply vs. modern tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.html

This one is 215/70 R15 load range D. It's 27" tall, but is it too wide? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=C...;tab=Specs

Here's a 195/70 R15, load range D: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=C...;tab=Specs

I like the 195/70, because I'm worried about power up hills. Tire rack estimates width at 5-6."

Advice?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most shops will not mount any of the 195/205/215 in 50/60/65/70/75 sizes on stock bus rims as they are only 4.5 inches wide. No warranty either based on maker recommendations.

I had to buy the tires seperately and mount them myself. If you go to any of the big box places you will be out of luck AND they wont be able to balance them either.

I recommend balancing beads and take them to your local corner owner run shop to have them mounted if you cannot do it yourself.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tev wrote:

This one is 215/70 R15 load range D. It's 27" tall, but is it too wide? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=C...;tab=Specs

Here's a 195/70 R15, load range D: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=C...;tab=Specs

I like the 195/70, because I'm worried about power up hills. Tire rack estimates width at 5-6."

Advice?

Probably the 215/70R15 is going to be too wide for early flat rear wheel wells.

205/75R15 is closest to the stock diameter.

Been very happy with tires (for over 150,000 miles) that have at least 1525 Lbs. weight rating even without the 6 ply rating.

If you want to go a tad larger on the rear axle, you could try a 195/(85?)R15 size Cooper makes for Range Rovers, which are no light weight vehicle.
woodslat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
tev wrote:

Advice?

Probably the 215/70R15 is going to be too wide for early flat rear wheel wells.

205/75R15 is closest to the stock diameter.

Been very happy with tires (for over 150,000 miles) that have at least 1525 Lbs. weight rating even without the 6 ply rating.

If you want to go a tad larger on the rear axle, you could try a 195/(85?)R15 size Cooper makes for Range Rovers, which are no light weight vehicle.

I have run 215/75/15 BFG M/Ts on the back of a flat wheel well bus with no trouble. No trouble on the front either! THey aren't cheap, $600 per set.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodslat wrote:

I have run 215/75/15 BFG M/Ts on the back of a flat wheel well bus with no trouble. No trouble on the front either! THey aren't cheap, $600 per set.

Wow $600.00!! Ouch...

With different manufactures tire width can vary just enough to be a problem or not. With the 205s we ran the wheel well only cleared with some removal of the inner lip. Plus removing the tire off the rear was so tight you had to flex the wheel well out to do so. Not good if one wants to keep the body work in good shape!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: