Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Is this Dychem used as a guide coat?

Bulli Klinik wrote:
That's Dykem. It's a machinist's dye. I wipe it on for the final bump and file to help me identify the low spots. I also use a wide magic marker at times.

It's like spraying a guide coat and sanding primer, only I spend the time getting the metal straight so that I don't have to spend the time filling, sanding, priming and more sanding.

Generally, when I'm done metal finishing, I spray a coat of epoxy primer followed by a couple coats of filler primer. I try my best not to use any body filler.

Thanks for asking!

(sold - but not forgotten)
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

You running a Vespa clinic too? My first love was a Taiwanese knockoff of a Vespa P150X. Goes just fast enough to kill ya. I plan to restore an old Vespa someday before I die.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike, i have to do this EXACT same repair on my 73. did you use the klokkerholm panel for the outside? how thin/hard to fit was it? Ive been thinking of trying to use a justkampers one thats thicker, but is for the 68-71, im just not sure if its more work to try and adjust that or adjust to the thinner klokkerholm panel.

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/...ality.html

BTW, lived in the springs from 79-92. LAst time i went out (2013?) i was amazed at how many daily driver ACVWs i saw on the road (compared to the rusty northeast)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Clatter wrote:

Is this Dychem used as a guide coat?

Bulli Klinik wrote:
That's Dykem. It's a machinist's dye. I wipe it on for the final bump and file to help me identify the low spots. I also use a wide magic marker at times.

It's like spraying a guide coat and sanding primer, only I spend the time getting the metal straight so that I don't have to spend the time filling, sanding, priming and more sanding.

Generally, when I'm done metal finishing, I spray a coat of epoxy primer followed by a couple coats of filler primer. I try my best not to use any body filler.

Thanks for asking!

DOH!! Embarassed

I caught that right after I posted it, I did I did..

What about that 'file' thing... That's always been one of those metalworking mysteries to me.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

What about that 'file' thing... That's always been one of those metalworking mysteries to me.

A file helps to show the low and high spots in the panel.

I run my hand over the damaged area to feel high or low spots. I also form a plan of attack, generally trying to work the damage out in the reverse of how it occurred.

High spots are dealt with by bumping off-dolly. This refers to holding the dolly at the edge of the high spot, then tapping down on the high while lifting the low. I'll do this all around the high spot to drive it down to match the contour of the panel. Sometimes, there is too much stretch in the metal and it has to be shrunk with a torch.

Low spots are dealt with a bit differently. The dolly is pushed up at the center of the low spot and the surrounding area is tapped down. This could be considered off-dolly as you're not driving the hammer into the dolly making it ring.

I then file the panel in two directions to reveal highs and lows. Use your judgement as any high dimples can and will be filed off. The idea is to use the file as a guide for where to swing the hammer, not to cut the material down to a smooth surface...That comes later.

As I get closer, I put on a guide coat. This can be paint, a sharpie, or as I prefer Dykem. Minor lows are dealt with by stretching the panel. The dolly is placed behind the low and the hammer is used to stretch the metal against the dolly. This will result in ringing sound if you're doing it right and the panel will lift in the area, ever so slightly. File again to see the lows come up. Once the lows begin to have file marks, I move to the next step.

Planishing is the next step. A dolly is held behind the panel and a hammer or a slapping spoon is used to smooth the surface. The blows from the hammer or spoon should overlap one another smoothing the minor imperfections out of the panel.

Once I get to a point where I'm confident the panel is the correct shape, I'll grind the panel with a body sander to remove any small imperfections. I generally use a 5" disk of 80 grit or finer. Sometimes, the nose panel for instance, I leave it in the filed state. The small undercut from the weld process usually fills with a couple coats of primer.

So to answer your question, the file is used to reveal highs and lows. Doing so will remove a very small amount of material. The important thing to bring away is that the 'file does not lie'. Once the Dykem is gone, the surface is flat and ready for primer.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:

Mike, i have to do this EXACT same repair on my 73. did you use the klokkerholm panel for the outside? how thin/hard to fit was it? Ive been thinking of trying to use a justkampers one thats thicker, but is for the 68-71, im just not sure if its more work to try and adjust that or adjust to the thinner klokkerholm panel.

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-bus-parts-1968-1979/...ality.html

BTW, lived in the springs from 79-92. LAst time i went out (2013?) i was amazed at how many daily driver ACVWs i saw on the road (compared to the rusty northeast)

I made the replacement panel for that section as well as the majority of panels for the Bus. That's a pretty easy one to make and it could be done with simple hand tools. I've been disappointed with the replacement panels I've seen for late Bays.

Colorado Springs used to be a big ACVW town. There were tons of daily drivers as well as a strong network of shops and parts. Unfortunately, those days are gone. We still have a strong scene, but you don't see them out like you used to. I'm doing my best to keep the torch lit.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Definitely a scooter guy. I have a 64 Alstate Vespa with a hot rod 180cc motor. All stock body but very quick! This is my current project, a 79 Jet 200 Lambretta:

I do quite a bit of metal work on old scooters. My buddy is the owner of http://www.sportiquescooters.com/. They are next door to my shop and I tend to help them with any metal repairs and painting that's needed.
Colorado Springs
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Mike- I love the "why me" look on yer dog's face. 🐕

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I know right! Laughing

Mike sounds like a sweet gig going there. Thanks for sharing the work. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Some lower dogleg repairs to the same Bus.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Putting the finishing touches on this 73 Westfalia/Riviera hybrid. I sold this Bus to the current owner several years ago. We installed a rear floor, a new nose clip and took care of some standard rust. It's back after being painted. I just installed a fresh 1800 from Painter Grinding in Denver, a new harness, all seals, freshened up the front end with new ball joints and some dropped spindles. The owner rebuilt and laminated the cabinets and did the interior himself. It's turning out to be a really nice, functional camper. Earlier Bus color; Chianti Red.

Colorado Springs
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

That Bus has come a long way, I remember stuffing a used 2.0 in it so it would move. Nice work.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

A recent article in the German magazine Auto and Motor Sport about my long-term ownership of this Dormobile camper. I've owned it for over 20 years and have put over 100,000 mile on it.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fahrberichte/re...44752.html
Colorado Springs
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Dormobiles are my favorite pop top. In the article they call it a Westfalia. Is a Dormobile a Westfalia?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Most def a Dorrmy, can't wait to camp with it again this Summer!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Sweet!! Gold Camp Road right?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Dormobiles are my favorite pop top. In the article they call it a Westfalia. Is a Dormobile a Westfalia?

You could order the Dormobile top through Westfalia. This Bus, a SO-69 Oslo, is one of a series of 9 versions which could be ordered for German delivery only. Other versions of the SO-69 were available with different tops and interior configurations.

Dormobiles which were converted at the Martin Walter factory had a different interior all-together with "dormatic" seats, a camper top which was situated further forward and a flip up stove behind the passengers seat.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Most def a Dorrmy, can't wait to camp with it again this Summer!

Looking forward to it too!
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Sweet!! Gold Camp Road right?

Good eye! I picked Dani, the photographer up at the Broadmoor in the Bus, right in the valet area, then made our way up to Gold Camp Road.
Colorado Springs
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

You could order the Dormobile top through Westfalia. This Bus, a SO-69 Oslo, is one of a series of 9 versions which could be ordered for German delivery only. Other versions of the SO-69 were available with different tops and interior configurations.

Dormobiles which were converted at the Martin Walter factory had a different interior all-together with "dormatic" seats, a camper top which was situated further forward and a flip up stove behind the passengers seat.
Thanks for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: