Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock absorbers
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Hey gents, is it possible that bad shocks can make the front shimmy? Not every time, at 40 mph , I will get a severe shimmy. It's not every time. Possible that by chance at a certain frequency that it can do this? Mighty obliged
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

I doubt it since they are just there for rebound damping. IS it happening when you go over a bump or rough spot in the road? How are your ball joints, tie rod ends, tires, etc?
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

New tie rods on both sides. Tires are okay from observation. Appears ball joints are okay. Put in a new steering damper too. Apparently, happens just sporadically. Not over a bump or anything. Seems that I do something at the right frequency and then the planets line up and shakes the car. That is why maybe the shocks. Cheers
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

How about front end alignment, and rebalancing the tires? Would be my first task ahead of replacing front end components.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
How about front end alignment, and rebalancing the tires? Would be my first task ahead of replacing front end components.

I would say this is the answer. Wheel balancing makes a big difference along with alignment. Exclamation

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

I had it happen on a Willys, same thing...believe it or not tire pressure was off on one side. Aired them both up the same...no more problem...Just FYI
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Wheel/tire balance would be my suggestion too. If the front tires are old replace them as well.
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorbers Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That is a good idea. It would need to be done anyhow. THnaks again. Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: