Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 Motor help... in search of thoughts...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

looking for forum members 2 cents...

I have a 914 that has been sitting for a few years now, I have been trying to build a 2.0 motor on a budget.

from the list that I have, i was wondering what you guys think, what are my options.

I have:

1.) a 914 1.7 rough shape, with 1.7 heads, rough shape.
2.) a 411/412 1.7 block with a 2.0 crank/cam, no pist/cyl and a set of 1.8 heads (cracked)
3.) a GC 914 2.0 block/pistons but with 2.0 Bus heads.

I also have a set of 44 IDF's and a 32/36 (i think china)

Right now, i would just like to get the car on the road, was thinking put the 1.7 back together with the 32/36 as a runner... and take my time to get a 2.0 with some power into my 914... The project has been sitting for so long... Just unsure now...

any thoughts? or help... The motor parts are in the Sacramento California Area. I live in the bay...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

broomhandle wrote:
looking for forum members 2 cents...

I have a 914 that has been sitting for a few years now, I have been trying to build a 2.0 motor on a budget.

from the list that I have, i was wondering what you guys think, what are my options.

I have:

1.) a 914 1.7 rough shape, with 1.7 heads, rough shape.
2.) a 411/412 1.7 block with a 2.0 crank/cam, no pist/cyl and a set of 1.8 heads (cracked)
3.) a GC 914 2.0 block/pistons but with 2.0 Bus heads.

I also have a set of 44 IDF's and a 32/36 (i think china)

Right now, i would just like to get the car on the road, was thinking put the 1.7 back together with the 32/36 as a runner... and take my time to get a 2.0 with some power into my 914... The project has been sitting for so long... Just unsure now...

any thoughts? or help... The motor parts are in the Sacramento California Area. I live in the bay...

OK...mixed bag if parts. For the record...there is "0" difference between the 1.7L from a 411/412 and a 914. They are 100% identical down to the last part # except for the heat exchangers and tin shrouding. Even made on the same assembly line...same output etc.

The cases are virtually the same. All the same castings save for minor details that have nothing to do with whether they started out 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0. Just different machine work...same castings.

For now...to get rolling...the 1.7L engines were the most bulletproof of the bunch.

Carefully disassemble and clean the complete 1.7 you have. You may be pleasantly surprised at how well the lower end has held up. If the heads are not cracked.

All stock cams are 100% worthless. They were barely adequate from the factory, they wear poorly and they run hot. Pick up a decent webcam with lifters to match and a new gear. Save your old cam gear for future work...it has usefulness.

The 1.8L heads are not worth having cracks welded. The only way to do that correctly is to remove ALL ferrous metal including valve seats (which you should replace on all of your heads anyway)....heating the heads in an oven, welding, grinding, finishing, checking, installing new seats and studs ...andyou still do not have 1.8L cylinders...and....without considerable dollars in work...the 1.8L heads will never match what a 914 2.0L head put out.

Save them as fixable cores and you may sell them later. They are not rare by any means.

The 2.0L bus engine is a pig...for anything but a bus. And...having been used in a bus....it WILL be beat to sh*t inside. It made poor horsepower in the wrong band for a 914. Its good as a rebuildable core case if it has not beeen beat up too badly.

The 1.7L heads on the complete engine. Clean them well....remove the valves and springs...put them in the oven and heat to 400F for about 30 minutes...while hot drop them on a cookie sheet from about 5" high. If the seats do not fall out or if you cannot move the seats around with a gloved hand...and they crack test well...they are solid heads to work with. Some of the most bulletproof of the bunch.

Check the 1.7L pistons carefully. They should be domed pistons and are some of the best pistons made for these engines. The dome is designed to work with that dimple in the quench area. Great throttle response.

If the pistons are not cracked, scuffed or have damaged ring lands and measure out well across teh skirts (no skirt collapse)...and the cylinders have no broken fins or pitting or scoring....hone them and put in new rings..and they will run well.

Have the rods resized, rebushed and balanced end for end....cheap.

You may get lucky and find the main bearings are still in spec. If so...keep the stock bearings if they are in good shape. If the case is still round and the crank is still standard and the bearings are rough...polish the journals and put in new standard bearings.

Get double thrust cam bearings...always

As for the carb....I assume the 32/36 is a center mount two barrel?...thats very useful. I have one I use for blocking the garage door open.

Really...a center mounted carb is the worst thing you can do for a type 4 engine. The 44 idfs are a little big but will work better than the center mounted junk.

Put in new valves....always. Do not reuse old junk like that. You can get 42mm and 36mm valves from Pelican parts. Intervalve brand made in Switzerland with stellite tips. These are about as good as the original VW valves...many of which were either TRW or ATE. A complete set will Run about $160 for all 8

Remove the factory head gasket and the base shim on the cylinder. The factory head gasket was removed for reliability issues. There was a technical service bulletin on this.
This will boost the original 8.2:1 compression to about 8.5:1 with excellent results.

With decent twin carbs, 42 X 36 valves, higher compression, good balance and a better than stock cam....the output of the 1.7...which was always better than the 1.8 anyway...will be very close to the US spec 2.0L...and more reliable.

Then you can take your time building a 2.0. On the 2.0L...do not waste your time sourcing Porsche 2.0 heads...great design....but horrible reliability...prone to cracking... and all of what is out there is cracked up, horribly overpriced crap.

Contact HAM inc....and buy a brand new CNC milled 914 2.0, three bolt replica head on new AMC castings (better casting than factory)..with proper plug angle and combustion chamber shape.

Expect about $1200 per head...but worth it http://hamheads.com/type4.php

Also..when building either engine...but for sure your dream engine....buy your cam here...and get the whole kit. Worth every penny of it and you need every part in this kit.

http://type4store.com/camshaft-kits/super-9590-cam-kit.html

These are Webcam made cam kits with special grinds. new gear, lifters, new studs, new springs and retainers, Genuine Porsche swivel feet adjusters, cut to length Chromoly pushrods, solid spacer kit....I have one of these for the 1.7L I am building. The quality is superb.

If you want to get anal....Get these. I did..and they are very worth the money. Quality is excellent. http://type4store.com/hd-rocker-shafts.html

These are little pricey....but worth it http://type4store.com/hd-ger-double-thrust-cam-bearings.html

You may find that you like a very well built 1.7L. Also..even if its built...carefully from good used parts....it can run excellently. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

Hi Broomhandle.

First off what year is your 914? so we can decide what you should build for it.

I have many parts to get rid of and can also help you with the build

Happy Holidays

my email [email protected] works better here than my yahoo mail.

Chris
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

I too am in the same boat trying to build on a budget. Thanks for your replys.
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Hi Broomhandle.

Happy Holidays

Chris

its a 1971, orginally had a destroyed 1.7..... I also owned a 1970 with a 1.8 in it, which i felt it always needed a little more power... have rode in a few 1.7's and my friends 2.0.... after the 2.0 with dual webbers i thought... it has to be a 2.0....
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

"raygreenwood"....

Thank you for the info...

I was thinking of putting the 1.7 back together stock because i have everything.... just as a runner ( it is a ugly motor), maybe tossing the 32/36 just so it goes down the road. not putting any upgrades in it...

as for my GC 2.0 and the 1.7 2.0 guts....

for heads, your saying no on the 1.8 heads? and not worth the bus 2.0 heads?

I wish there was another versions for these 2.0 heads besides the rabby etc heads that cost a lot...
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

Ya I've been looking at heads for 3 years now. It seems there is just no cheap way around it.

Besides, all the power is built in how well these flow so ........
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Hi Broomhandle.

Happy Holidays

Chris

I sent you a PM... Smile
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
Ya I've been looking at heads for 3 years now. It seems there is just no cheap way around it.

I agree, I have also been looking for heads for about 3 years... i find 1 good 2.0 head etc.. or they are insane exp. i know they are rare. but there has to be another way of getting 2.0 HP from something else? or modding bus 2.0 heads? I know the spark plug angle is big....

somebody make a cast of these 2.0 heads! I wont tell VW.... they are too busy with TDI's...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

broomhandle wrote:
JustBuggy wrote:

I agree, I have also been looking for heads for about 3 years... i find 1 good 2.0 head etc.. or they are insane exp. i know they are rare. but there has to be another way of getting 2.0 HP from something else? or modding bus 2.0 heads? I know the spark plug angle is big....

somebody make a cast of these 2.0 heads! I wont tell VW.... they are too busy with TDI's...

Yes.....you can. Bear in mind......what you call 2.0 HP....in factory form.....is just not that impressive.
You get 110hp from a 2.0. And.....in factory form it was limited by...almost in order the exhaust, camshaft and the induction system (most specifically the center manifold plenum.....the 1.7/1.8 plenum was better).

But....by design was the 2.0 head was better in the respect that the plug angle COUPLED with the larger valve size and larger combustion chamber actually made the most difference.

You can get the larger valves and combustion chamber simply by buying a 1.8 AMC casting...do some mild unshrouding.....you need to dump all the hardware from the basic AMC casting anyway....still...as referenced by a post from Len Hoffman from HAM a week or so ago.
You can buy a much better camshaft and entire valvetrain than the factory 2.0 ever had.
You can build it as a 2056. You can bump the compression up....which alone will make almost as much difference as there was/is between a hotter than stock tuned out 1.7....and the 914 2.0.
Keep the 914 D-jet manifolds. Add a spliter inside the plenum under the TB....turbulence is the 2.0 plenums main flaw. If you are really good with D-jet...you can tune it to run well with this combo.....but its far simpler to simply slave aftermarket injection to the original manifolds.
Also....you need a better ignitiom system. The stock 18kv coil was just adequate. As compression goes up it gets to be noticably inadequate. Get rid of the points.....add a much better coil....and even something like a CB black boxed slaved to the original D-jet distributor....would be a big improvement.
The stock exhaust.....is limiting.

Bear in mind a little about these engines. Look at the 1.7L......when the identical engine is dropped down to about 7.6:1 compression in the California version.....you lose a bit over 10hp....with all else the same.
Bumping the compression up....from the 411/412/914 spec of 8.2:1....to about 8.5:1....adding slightly larger valves and unshrouding them, putting in a better cam, an ignition with a better coil, some light tuning to the stock D-jet injection and an even slightly better muffler with no other exhaust changes.....and a rise of 10hp....to right at 92hp....is no problem. Thats just a 1.7L.

The 2.0 914 engine made more hp.....but it made it the hard way. It used an improved pattern head....but it heavily constrained what should have been even better improvment.....with an inferior plenum, exhaust system, camshaft and the same basic ignition system as a beetle.

And...between the head casting design and all the other constraints.....the reliability long term of the 2.0 914 head....is poor.
So while everyone is after the 914 2.0 head and gnashing their teeth that they want 2.0 hp.....it just was not that great for what it cost. The throttle response of a tuned out 1.7...matches or exceeds what the 2.0 had. If its just 110 hp you want and need.....you can do that so much more easily and cheaper with more reliability.....by making it with a much better total combo overall...rather than just searching out the improved pattern 914 head.

If you get do both things.....get some new 914 pattern heads from HAM....AND.....improve the rest of the combo...cam, ignition, manifold tuning, exhaust, valvetrain and tuning.....you can actually make BETTER hp than the stock 2.0 914 did. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

Being that the heads are the biggest expense on this engine I'm keeping my stock 1.7 heads on one engine with a mild Web cam 86b, HPMX 40mm carbs, new aftermarket ign. and a small header. I already have these and I know it's not going to be a monster power maker but it should put a smile on my face seeing as it'll be replacing the worn out SP1500 the car had.

Saving up $$$ to build the 2.0 bus engine I have. Looking for HAM heads and big displacement so it'll be awhile.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
Being that the heads are the biggest expense on this engine I'm keeping my stock 1.7 heads on one engine with a mild Web cam 86b, HPMX 40mm carbs, new aftermarket ign. and a small header. I already have these and I know it's not going to be a monster power maker but it should put a smile on my face seeing as it'll be replacing the worn out SP1500 the car had.

Saving up $$$ to build the 2.0 bus engine I have. Looking for HAM heads and big displacement so it'll be awhile.

If you build that engine...your 1.7.....with the stock domed 1.7L pistons....and not so mild of a cam although that is a good cam....bring the compression up to about 8.5-8.7:1...quite easy to do (dump the head gasket and shim and bring the edge of piston deck to about .042" will get you to 8.4 or 8.5:1)....and put in 41 x 35 or 42 x 36 valves...and tune the carbs well....that engine will make just about (maybe 5 hp less)...than the 2.0 914 and have better throttle response.

Most especially if you really control ignition and highly tune the carbs to match. I would put in a Jacobs type coil...or bare minimum the 42Kv coil from Pertronix which works very well with a Pertronix module....or even better drop in a hall type module in the distributor with a 55Kv Bosch coil from a water cooled vehicle....or simply put a module in a rebuilt stock 205 distributor from a bus or a clean straight 009 distributor shell...and add something like CB's programmable black box and a SERIOUS coil.

Add in something like this...basically a stainless T-bird header
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC251704/stainless-steel-header-for-type-4-engine-1700-2000/

or even a Vintage speed which will probably be nicer but flow a little less than the T-bird header

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.73/.f Like this...or their sport muffler
http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.135/.f

That 1.7L engine build will equal the output of the stock 2.0 with better throttle response...and be far more reliable. Ray
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

Is there any way to get cabin heat with a header?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
Is there any way to get cabin heat with a header?

That header I listed....the stainless T bird style....bolts up in place of the stock muffler to the stock ends of the heater boxes leaving your heater boxes intact.

Yers ago...Jake Raby noted that while having a TRUE equal length tuned header is ideal and crucial for wringing out the maximum from a type 4....in situations where you cannot use one.....the header exhaust like the Thunderbird style......is far, far better than any stock exhaust muffler out there. Its definately about two steps up from a stock exhaust.....because its nearly equal length, can use a low flow muffler and has at least a rudimentary collector.

Having run an old school T bird extractor on one of my 412z.....I can attest that as long as you tune the fuel for it and have a decent muffler.....it is a good sized improvement over stock.

The Vintage speed exhaust may be fairly close in effect to the T-bird style muffler.....simply because Vintage speed has been going through the work to due at least some internal tuning.

I dont know how the vintage speed compares to the stainless header because ai have never driven one snd no one has taken the time to compare the two in testing. Ray
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

The thing is, i have parts... its just what to do...

here is my 411 1.7 with supposed 2.0 crank and performance cam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
2.0 ea
2.0 crank cam
2.0 crank cam

and my 914 2.0

Untitled

and my nasty 1.7

my 1.8 and 2.0 bus heads

Untitled

honestly, I feel like melting it all down and giving up... haha

the car has sat since 2009. and been off the road since 2001.

it just needs a running motor... and maybe later... at least 100hp... im ok with a strong 1.7 with good tq and 92hp...

Untitled
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

and to add....

I care more about TQ than HP.... the other cars I drive is a TDI and an EV... TQ is my friend... Cool
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

http://p914.com/p914_vin.htm

GC0000001-GC0002914

Bore 94mm
Stroke 71mm
Disp. 1971cc
Comp. Ratio 7.6-1

Torque
(SAE net)
lb/ft@rpm 97@4000

HP
(SAE net)
hp@rpm 84@4900
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
http://p914.com/p914_vin.htm

GC0000001-GC0002914

Bore 94mm
Stroke 71mm
Disp. 1971cc
Comp. Ratio 7.6-1

Torque
(SAE net)
lb/ft@rpm 97@4000

HP
(SAE net)
hp@rpm 84@4900

Which is US spec for the 2.0L...detuned a bit with low compression which makes the D-jet harder to tune well and runs hot.

To use your specs for the GC series to help make one of the points I listed earlier...about compression....

Take a look at the specs for the GB Euro Spec 2.0 engine

It uses same crank, pistons, case , rods, valve size, ignition, injection..everything....only with a different cam and 0.4:1 higher compression ratio to net 15 more hp and 12 more foot lbs of torque. It had a little bit different tuning on the injection ot match that...but nothing else.

In effect the USA spec 2.0 was tuned about the same level as the 1.7 california spec 1.7...and the 1.8L engine that came in both the VW 412 and the 914...both were detuned pigs.
Heck...the UK version of the 412 with 1.8 came with 98hp.

That almost identical level of tuning change from compression that the California tuning gave....with the 1.7L having 7.3:1 compression in Cali to put out 70-73 HP with 87-89 ft lbs of torque.......while just bumping it to 8.2:1 compression...same cam....same everything....netted 82 hp.

I do not know where these guys keep getting 79hp...as this is the identical 1.7L engine as the 411/412 down to the last part # and it as rated at 82hp....and I have seen that and slightly higher with good tuning on the dyno.
And then there is the absolutely abysmal California tuned 1.8L that cranks out a slug like 73hp and 89 ft pounds of torque...while the Euro version of that same engine in the 412...with carbs and 8.0:1 compression (IIRC) puts out as much HP and torque as the US spec 2.0L.

You can buy the same cam or better that the 2.0 euro 914 used at Webcam. You can also as noted....easily get Euro 412 and 914 1.8L performance out of a 1.7L simply by running injection (not sure for carbs)...either stock or aftermarket but with good manifolds...and simply adding a better cam, compression and ignition.

Other than keeping a car original...which has merit....I fail to see why so many live or die for the three bolt 2.0 heads with what they cost now in their 40 year old crap condition. Especially since most here...keep the 2.0 engine at the anemic US spec.
If all you are wanting is the torque and HP of the Euro 914...you could keep it a 2.0 and slap on flycut and ported 1.8 heads...the right cam and compression...and though the throttle response may be a little different (could be better or worse)....without the 2.0 plug angle (which is significant)....you can still hit euro 2.0L HP and torque.

Heck...in a very well built 1.8....you can exceed 100hp. Ray
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

Great post and responses. I too have 3 motor cores. Two 1700 porsche motors with heads and a 2.0 bus engine. Also have an extra 2.0 crank and rods. Would like to know if rebuilding the 1700 case using 2.0 crank and rods with new 2056 pistons and liners, could the 1700 heads be used if they check out ok and flycut for the bigger liners? Trying to keep the build as reasonable as possible.

This will be for a dune buggy that weighs less than 1400 lbs. I too am in the Bay Area. We should compare notes.

Thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Motor help... in search of thoughts... Reply with quote

Bermoco wrote:
Great post and responses. I too have 3 motor cores. Two 1700 porsche motors with heads and a 2.0 bus engine. Also have an extra 2.0 crank and rods. Would like to know if rebuilding the 1700 case using 2.0 crank and rods with new 2056 pistons and liners, could the 1700 heads be used if they check out ok and flycut for the bigger liners? Trying to keep the build as reasonable as possible.

This will be for a dune buggy that weighs less than 1400 lbs. I too am in the Bay Area. We should compare notes.

Thanks

The 2.0 crank and rods....no problem as the cases are qll essentially the same.

While the 1.7L heads...especially the "Q" series part # prefix are about the toughest out of all the stock heads......the problem with cutting them for 2.0 is that it so greatly enlarges the already large quench area in the 1.7L head......at the same tim3 mqking an qlready smalllish chqmber even smaller.....that your compression with be waaaay too high.
Likely above 10.0:1 if memory serves.....and there is no place in that head to remove enough material to bring compression down.

What you could do...cant remember the size off hand but it's right at 1.9 something liters....is build it with a 90mm piston, custom cylinders spacers, 71mm stroke and 1.7 heads.
I have heard of a couple....have no idea how they run.

That being said.....only the 1.7L heads need to be bored to take 2.0 cylinders. The 1.8 heads are the same size, roughly similar combustion chamber shape, same valve size....different plug and port angle.
The fastest cheapest way to make a decent 2.0 is with 1.8 heads. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: