Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chilton or Haynes?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Gonna buy a repair manual for a 2006 Beetle. I would like a Bentley but they are WAY to expensive, so that leaves me with getting either a Chilton or Haynes. Which is better?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

For use as a door stop or using as toilet paper?

I'll give you a brief synopsis of either one:
Step one) park car on level surface.
Step two) chock wheels.
Step three) disconnect battery.
Step four) for all other repairs take to dealer or certified repair facility.

Do you use either one for your aircooled car? If you do, whatever you find lacking when using them for it only gets worse the more complex the vehicle gets.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

I just find it hard to swallow $100+ for a manual. I have the Bentley for my 74 & 78 and rarely use it, except for when I'm learning the FI system, otherwise it mostly stays on the shelf. I'm not going to be overhauling a motor or tranny on this car so I'm just looking for general info about the car. As far as the Bentley, I am not a fan of their electrical wiring schematics. I'm more of a "visual" & "hands on" person anyway. I learn much more by watching and doing and there are plenty of visual aids out there for the older Bugs, just not sure how much is out there for the Gen 2 Bug. Also, I'm very curious as to why the Bentley Gen 2 manual is so much more expensive then their Gen 1 manual. Confused Maybe if I could get my hands on a Gen 2 manual and see what's inside I might feel it's worth the investment, but blindly buying a $100 manual........ Think
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Gen 1 beetle wiring consisted of 1 page, gen 2 beetle covers about 300 pages with two diagrams front & back for each page. There's more wiring in & to the drivers door than in all of an air cooled beetle (mildly exaggerated, but not by much.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

You aren't going to fix much on that car w/o a Bently and VAG-Com. GL
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

What's the difference between VAG and something like the Autel MaxiDas DS708?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Buy a Bentley and a Ross-tech VCDS. If you cannot afford that, when the Beetle breaks, go to a shop to have it fixed. Then you'll find out it's cheap. Make a cardboard sign [Need Money to Buy Bentley and Ross-tech] and stand on the side of the road a few days, you'll get enough money to buy them. It's Christmas time, people are more generous.

There are places to save money, diagnostic tools are not one of them. By the time you search the forums and replace a bunch of parts that were not needed, you could buy the tools.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
What's the difference between VAG and something like the Autel MaxiDas DS708?

Dunno, never heard of or used the latter. The former is as good as a factory tool.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Buy a Bentley and a Ross-tech VCDS. If you cannot afford that, when the Beetle breaks, go to a shop to have it fixed. Then you'll find out it's cheap. Make a cardboard sign [Need Money to Buy Bentley and Ross-tech] and stand on the side of the road a few days, you'll get enough money to buy them. It's Christmas time, people are more generous.

There are places to save money, diagnostic tools are not one of them. By the time you search the forums and replace a bunch of parts that were not needed, you could buy the tools.

Ross-Tech looks just like the VAG COM. Same product just different name/packaging?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Everyone copies Ross-tech. Like someone said before, it's as good as the factory tester. Copies just lock up and do not nearly perform as well. I do this for a living and if I have any doubts in my tools, I start second guessing. Customer do not like paying for second guessing and wasting money on wrong parts.

Again, if you can't afford good diagnostic tools, make a sign.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I just find it hard to swallow $100+ for a manual.

Welcome to the world of modern car repair. Wink

The Bentley has detailed exploded diagrams of most components in their later manuals... at least, my 2000 Jetta's manual does (wish my Cabriolet's manual was as detailed).

If you plan to keep this car for a longish time, then ponying up for the Bentley is highly advised.

If you're not going to be working much on the car, or will just be doing basic stuff, then Chiltons or Haynes will get you by.

Dwayne1m wrote:
As far as the Bentley, I am not a fan of their electrical wiring schematics.

FYI: The electrical diagrams found in Bentley Service Manuals are licensed by Volkswagen (also one reason Bentley is no longer producing repair manuals for newer VW vehicles). I.E. those are Volkswagen diagrams. I don't know about modern Haynes, but Haynes also licensed VW diagrams to use in their older manuals.

As for Ross Tech: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ . Never needed anything beyond a basic OBD-II reader for my Jetta. With the new GTI (much more computerized), however, I'll be investing in VCDS/VAG-COM in the near future.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

I have no problem spending money on quality stuff. I would just like to see what I'm buying before I lay down the cash. Just hard for me to spend $100+ on a book where all I can see is the cover.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

When diagnosing, information is extremely important. A cheap OBD2 tester may give you a glimpse of what the issue is. An expensive OBD2 tester will give you so much information you're head will spin.

The original question was Chilton or Haynes because Bentley was too expensive. I think by now, the recommendation is that the Bentley is worth the money in the long run [if you really want to do everything]. To work on today's cars, you need to tap into the computer. An extremely reliable tester is the Ross-tech. Reliability is what you want when you are testing. Consistent readings allow for consistent results. With the right tester and the right book, you can pretty much fix anything.

Maybe Santa will send you something in your stocking?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

I just looked thru my 70-79 Bentley and there is nothing in there about the convertible top. Is there anything about the convertible top in the new Beetle Bentley? I am also assuming the new Bentley covers how to repair the rear window problem. Does it try to persuade you to buy a Ross tech type tool to assist in repairs?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I just looked thru my 70-79 Bentley and there is nothing in there about the convertible top. Is there anything about the convertible top in the new Beetle Bentley? I am also assuming the new Bentley covers how to repair the rear window problem. Does it try to persuade you to buy a Ross tech type tool to assist in repairs?

1. if it says "including convertible", then yes.
2. maybe
3. no, Bently Publishers are not affiliated with Ross Tech. The VAG-Com tool emulates the factory tool, so the codes and other items used to navigate within the ecm's is listed in the Bently manual when needed.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

I broke down and bought the Bentley. Good grief this is a huge book. Hardcover too. Thing weighs 7 lbs. Shocked Going to take some time to read thru this thing.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

Now you get to see all the things you may need the VAG-Com for. It's more than just a scanner, as it is an integral part of diagnostics for some things, since many functions in today's cars are ecu controlled and monitored.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chilton or Haynes? Reply with quote

The Bentley New Beetle manual lists for $150 now. I think it is well worth it if you are doing any real service work. The Bentley manual has many things the Chilton or Haynes manual will not have, including factory wiring diagrams.

Here is the table of contents page from the BentleyPublishers web site.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/33407013/Volkswagen-New-Beetle-Repair-Manual-1998-2010-Table-of-Contents

Perhaps that will help. FYI, Bentley is constantly updating and editing their service manuals (I worked there for 14 years). Therefore, it always worth it to buy the latest edition of any Bentley manual. IF you buy it from Bentley directly, you will be assured of getting the latest edition.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: