Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering a Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
808donn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

I am going to be lowering a '73 Thing. I know that the spindles are Thing specific but was planning on using dropped(drum) spindles. Can I still use the Thing backing plates, drums & brakes? Also, can I just use the Thing upper beam and press in the bug joints from the other side so that they point down or do I have to change out the upper arms? I realize just changing to bug spindles will drop it a few inches but will using dropped spindles get me pretty low (share pics if you have) or

Regarding the rear spring plates, is it necessary to notch them to allow a substantial drop or would drop plates work better?

Any info you guys can share would be appreciated. I want to get that Thing in the weeds!
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

mine is the opposite direction

but what I have seen/heard

I do know a quick drop is to just swap out for a beetle beam and arms etc. That will do quick drop.

in the rear, I would do drop plates. that retains original suspension travel yet lowers. best of both worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572915&highlight=ball+joint

Read this thread.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

If you swap to beetle spindles, you will get a 2-2.5" drop off the bat. If you go to drop spindles, you will have that thing down almost 5"....

How low do you want to go?

You can use both the Thing arms with beetle ball joints installed the right way around, you just need to use the beetle camber adjuster since the balljoint diameter is larger on the Thing than beetle.
Flush_Gordon337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

I went with beetle drop spindles (disc brake) and trailing arms on an adjustable beam. I left all the springs in the beam and set the adjusters to carry most of the load. I am using air shocks to bring up to driving height. Only takes 50-60 psi.

I went with Airkewld air ride in the rear.
I am very happy with the ride.

I will let you guess which one is mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

808donn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

Thanks guys! So what I am gathering from your responses and the thread link is that by just changing the spindles and adding dropped spindles I should get about a 5" drop? Also, I CAN use the Thing arms but need to press the ball joints in from the opposite side and use a bug camber adjuster? Question
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

Ahh good information!

I'm just looking to lower my front a couple inches. I have adjusters on my beam but they only raise it.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

808donn wrote:
Thanks guys! So what I am gathering from your responses and the thread link is that by just changing the spindles and adding dropped spindles I should get about a 5" drop? Also, I CAN use the Thing arms but need to press the ball joints in from the opposite side and use a bug camber adjuster? Question

Correct. Bug/Ghia spindles on thing arms with ball joints pressed in the right direction with bug camber adjusters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

If you want to see a lot of lowered Things go to our website under lowered Things for a lot of pictures of lowered Things http://kubeltreffen181.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

What are you guys doing in the rears when you super slam a thing?

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Thing Reply with quote

JoelH wrote:
What are you guys doing in the rears when you super slam a thing?

Either spend $$ for an air ride kit, or adjust the torsion bars and do it for free. Be aware you will get some negative camber when lowering, but this can be corrected by flipping the rear arms.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: