Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 EV VR6 First motor problem, temperature gauge
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: 2002 EV VR6 First motor problem, temperature gauge Reply with quote

Im getting a slight weird behaviour in my temp gauge - it stays low for a long time, but then suddenly shoots up, then goes back down to low, then hits mid point and stays there.

Obvious trouble spots are thermostat and temp sender. The engine does seem to warm as before, based on monitoring the hose temperatures and heat output so it could be either.

Im going to hook up my AUTEL and see if I can record the coolant temp from OBD - of course, I think I am just using the same sensor so I suspect I will see the same behavior in digital form.

Any guidance from VR6 land?

First owner
90k miles
Best car I have ever owned.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EV VR6 First motor problem, temperature gauge Reply with quote

Is the CTS the "newish" green one? For what they are worth and with their proven unreliability I'd throw one at it especially if it's not green.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EV VR6 First motor problem, temperature gauge Reply with quote

Yeah it's 10 bucks at FCP

On order.

Thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EV VR6 First motor problem, temperature gauge Reply with quote

Had a peek at the CTS job while the Beef Wellington was in the oven. On the VR6, you are doing this job from underneath with the pan dropped. You can't even see the pipe from up top.

My 2003 Beetle needed the exact same sender replaced, btw.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EV VR6 First motor problem, temperature gauge Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Had a peek at the CTS job while the Beef Wellington was in the oven. On the VR6, you are doing this job from underneath with the pan dropped. You can't even see the pipe from up top.

My 2003 Beetle needed the exact same sender replaced, btw.

On my 12 valve I'd have access from the top with the rad tilted forward. Maybe your 24 valve is a bit tighter.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: