Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

While working on my Sports Bug restoration, I was tearing out the headliner last weekend and came across the crumbling defroster vents. I think that's pretty common-place to find. Thought to myself, hey... I could model these easy enough.

Granted, I could spend the 20 bucks plus shipping on a set of vents, but where's the fun in that!

What actually inspired me was the fact that one of the vents I removed from my car was actually still mostly in tact. Granted it was ready to turn to dust but held together long enough for me to get detailed measurements.

Came up with this 3D model last night, that I promptly sent to my printer. Printed it in a transparent filament. Tried it out this morning and it fits perfectly. Maybe I should sell them... even offer them in different colors. They could also I suppose be easily painted to whatever color a guy would want.

Here's photos of the 3D model.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The factory one, of course, has a flap on the back of the vent. I've noticed that none of the reproductions have that. I suppose the flap is there to keep air flowing in one direction... OUT. My next step in the design is going to be to integrate a flap into the back of the vent to get it to function as the originals did.

And the finished part.

I'll post more when I get the "flap" version done and working.

CWAVE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

This is so cool! I really want to get a 3D printer.

I've seen a few other people do 3D printed parts for hard to find items. It would be cool if there was a repository where people could post the model files and share.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Man I think that is great and with a working flap would be all the better. You should think about other hard to find parts like the plastic on the bottom sides of seat frames. I really think you should run with the inspiration.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

Going to try to start work on the "flap version" this afternoon.

I'm certainly open to suggestions on other hard to find items. I don't quite follow what part you're talking about on the bottom sides of the seat frames. I have the Sports bug seats which might be different from what you're thinking of?

Been also thinking of designing a small 2 or 3 gauge housing for some autometer gauges that could perhaps be contoured to the dash with the gauges tilted up that would not require drilling into the dash. That's something I've been throwing around for a while now. Still knee deep in my restoration, not close to the re-assembly yet. Probably start thinking about that one as I get closer.

CWAVE

fatdog wrote:
Man I think that is great and with a working flap would be all the better. You should think about other hard to find parts like the plastic on the bottom sides of seat frames. I really think you should run with the inspiration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Man, if you can print ones that are like the original flaps version, I will pay for two sets!!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Nice job.. The part looks great.

Question- how durable is the plastic? I have NO understanding of 3d printers so.. The other question is can you print different plastic material? Some softer and some harder?

There's some NLA plastic parts in Bosch distributors that would be nice to reproduce.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

I just saw a YouTube video about a 3D DIY printer kit for $146!!! The prices have REALLY come down. I know when I first thought of buying one (still haven't because they were too expensive, but I may have to take the plunge) they were in the $800 range for the DIY kits.
Here's the link. I can't speak for the company. The price is what caught my eye. DIY might scare some, but if you are on this forum you are probably not one of them.
https://www.zapals.com/a8-large-desktop-3d-printer-kit-high-resolution-with-lcd-display.html

I'm sure there are LOTS of NLA parts that could be printed if plans were available. There are already "plan repositories" on line where you can download plans to print all kinds of items! Many are just toys, but some are ingenious! Take a peak here... thingiverse is probably the largest free repository.
https://www.thingiverse.com/

Here's a link to other sites for plans (pay and free):
http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2014/5/28/alternatives-to-thingiverse-for-upset-designers
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Cool, I knew there were free models on-line. I guess what I was thinking was VW specific database, right here on Samba or another VW site Wink

Prices are definitely getting affordable - the one thing that's tough though, is finding the time to model this stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Well, been making some headway on the flap. I have the flap designed, just working on the hinge now. Did one hinge already that didn't work out well (the flap would bind). I've come up with a new design that should swing freely. Will see how that turns out.

Here's the first rejected flap

As for the plastic, 3D printers can print in a wide range of plastics. I'm printing these in PLA and find that type of plastic quite durable. It can be a little brittle if used in an application where shock or flexing is occurring. So not so good for quad copters but for something like this, it will work fine.

For more abusive environments ABS is a good solution. HIPS is also a good product for non-flexing or higher temperature applications.

With respect to the comment about a 146 dollar DIY printer, I'd caution anyone looking to get into this that the adage "you get what you pay for" is still valid in 3D printers. Cheap printers are typically poor resolution printers. The printers that I use are over 3 grand a piece, and produce very nice quality parts (as you should expect).

Also worth noting is that getting into 3D printing requires a fair commitment of time. Printing 3D is much different from printing a printed page. There are a LOT of different factors that determine the success or failure of a print. The required level of experience increases when you design parts as the print process needs to be considered in the design as much as the process of constructing the part with the printer. I've been at this for a few years now.

CWAVE
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I've been a bit fascinated by the ability to design and "print" items. Really cool, I'm def in the old dog learning new tricks camp.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

In regards to other parts that could be made, the 1971 version of the part you have posted would be desirable. As you said yourself these vents can be purchased at many parts places. The 71 only vents are NLA. There is a samba member who made some from fiberglass a few years ago who might still make them to order but they are not cheap, like almost $200. A 3D model would be perfect for a part like that as they could be printed to order once the initial model is done. Finding an OG 71 vent to model from might be the most difficult part. I think they are different for lh and rh too but they are mirrors.
Cwave i have followed your threads and read the humvee stuff too. Very impressive. You do excellent work. Thx for sharing another undertaking.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Could you point me to a photo of the vent you're talking about? I'd certainly be happy to model something new (always enjoy the challenge). You're right though... most of the time the hard part is getting the item to model. I have done models from photos and supplied measurements, but it always takes 10 times as long to accomplish.

Thanks for your comments on my previous threads. Much appreciated.

CWAVE

P.S. I think I found a photo of it...

I'll have to see if I can find one somewhere.

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
In regards to other parts that could be made, the 1971 version of the part you have posted would be desirable. As you said yourself these vents can be purchased at many parts places. The 71 only vents are NLA. There is a samba member who made some from fiberglass a few years ago who might still make them to order but they are not cheap, like almost $200. A 3D model would be perfect for a part like that as they could be printed to order once the initial model is done. Finding an OG 71 vent to model from might be the most difficult part. I think they are different for lh and rh too but they are mirrors.
Cwave i have followed your threads and read the humvee stuff too. Very impressive. You do excellent work. Thx for sharing another undertaking.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Here is the thread on these fiberglass versions, would've linked it earlier but was on my phone.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=282226&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Still gets requests for them but no ad up for them anymore. I asked about them from jamesdagg about a year ago when I thought my headliner was coming out, figuring that would be the best time to install new ones. Turns out I didn't have to do that so I kicked the can on that one but he did respond to me and quoted me a price. A fiberglass shop local to him still has the molds to make them.
My recollection is that you are in Canada so a VW dealership may be able to help you get originals IF VW Classic Parts somehow dug some up out of a jungle warehouse somewhere. VW Classic will not sell to USA. We'd have to track down a part number though, which I am unaware of.
Another solution is to get the fiberglass repros and model off of those, but seems like a lot of trouble and cost to reproduce something already reproducible, albeit at a greater cost. Perhaps someone out there has them and hasn't installed them yet and would lend them, again, seems like a lot of leg work.
Perhaps jamesdagg is willing to help on it. From everything I read in that thread and others it seems like his repros are nice and fit well.
3D printing offers a solution to all the little rare parts like this. I agree with other posters that it would be nice to have an ACVW repository for files for VW parts. Seems like VW's bloodsucking lawyers would come barking to put a stop to parts being produced that they themselves refuse to produce to support their own vehicles. That is kind of their MO.
Anyhow, I am starting to rant. Thanks for considering it, I bet others will chime in on this thread with other hard to find plastic do-dads our cars could use.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I've sent him a message, see if I can buy a set off him. Since they're accurate reproductions, it seems that they would be an ideal place to start. If it worked out, once I'd be done with them, I'd just throw them up on the classifieds.

I would need a guinea-pig to test the finished part if I got that far, as I don't have a 71 super.

Will see where this goes.

CWAVE
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

I like the fact they're a different color. A white dash vent in my '66 would be cool as it would tie in to the black/white theme the car already has.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

part number for the piece CWAVE 3D printed:

311 819 467

Diagram showing the various vents (#12 on the website I got this from, has no P/N listed! d'oh):

Link to 73+ super diagram:
http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/luftduese-379141.html

DOES AYONE HAVE REFERENCE MATERIAL TO FIND THAT PART NUMBER?

EDIT: Also, no part number listed HERE: http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/ma...ng/e#sec_5

What gives? haha Mad

asiab3 wrote:

Last edited by ROCKOROD71 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:

I've seen a few other people do 3D printed parts for hard to find items. It would be cool if there was a repository where people could post the model files and share.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666688
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Chad1376 wrote:

wow, someone at the bottom of that thread mentions the 71 air vents....LOTS of 71 bugs out there....

asiab3 wrote:

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
... LOTS of 71 bugs out there....

Just looking at the VIN data, the '71 model year was the most prolific year, producing 1,143,119 T1 vehicles (STD and SB). That is the highest VIN count for any late model year I could find. This is based on the VIN number difference:
111 2 000 001
<...>
111 3 143 119
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Chad1376 wrote:

ah - nice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: