Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

looks great man. Any movement on the 71 only vents? Did you ever get some fiberglass versions to model after? Just curious. When I get the funds/motivation I will be re-doing my headliner and wanna put those vents back in.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Here's CWave's vent next to an after-market one I bought from an online vendor many moons ago -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is installed.

(Note to self: clean glue residue off headliner. Rolling Eyes ) The flap is very cool, but I'm not sure if I oriented it correctly. I installed it so that the flap's [EDIT] hinge up or towards the glass. The only original I've ever seen was in this Super. I fished it out of the c-pillar when I redid the headliner last year, semi crumbled.

The fit is good, but a little loose. The black aftermarket one has a snugger fit, and the outer edge feels slightly rounded or thicker compared to CWave's flat edge. All-in all, I think it's pretty nice and I would buy it in black if you could print them!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Hey vanram, looks great in your car.

So, if you could provide me with a summary of specific improvements you'd like to see in these vents that you think would make them fit better, and look better, let me know. I'd like to make them perfect before I start making sets for other people and you.

Most colors will be available (including black).

Looking at the photos, you installed the vent exactly as I had expected them to work best.

CWAVE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Perhaps thickening the wall so that it's a tighter fit. The visible rim is also a little thicker on the repro unit. Other than that...let me know when you have a black one to test with!

Although...i may go white w/the ones for my '74 Super.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Hey CWave -

Checking in on your 3-D printing. Have you tried printing the steering column spacer that's about an inch or so in depth and thin? I'm looking for one as the one on my '72 Super recently crumbled when I replaced my turn signal assembly.

Also - have you printed any more of the vents? I still have 5 black ones and your one 3-d printed white prototype in my '74...I would like to match them!

Thanks,

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Whoa, CWAVE those look great!

I think I'd be on board to get my hands on a set too. I was also disappointed that all of the aftermarket repro's didn't have the flap as were OEM.

Well done on the mock up and production of a quality replacement! Applause
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Hey there.

Yes, I've been lax in getting these out and available. Sorry about that. I simply have too many projects on the go... but given that these things are done, I (I think) I should just get going and produce some for you guys.

One question though... it's been a while, Vamram/Victor... please refresh my memory. Did it fit ok, or was it loose at all. If it's been in your car all this time, you should have a feel for how it's holding up. I don't want to make them and have them falling out of peoples cars. Also, when I produce a complete set for you, do you want to continue with white?

I'd probably be looking at $30USD for a set. Reason why is not so much the material, but the time to put them all together. They are a little finicky.

My Sportsbug (with any luck) should have the headliner complete by the end of the coming weekend, and I'll be able to test fit them for myself. But until then...

Also, that steering column spacer you're looking for. I think I just pulled out the spacer out of one of my spare columns that you're talking about... but can you confirm? Here's the picture.

If that's it, I will model it tonight and make one that fits. Will post photos here.

Thomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Hey there.

Yes, I've been lax in getting these out and available. Sorry about that. I simply have too many projects on the go... but given that these things are done, I (I think) I should just get going and produce some for you guys.

[...]

I'd probably be looking at $30USD for a set. Reason why is not so much the material, but the time to put them all together. They are a little finicky.
[...]

Thomas

A quality product takes time, a quality product costs money. Considering the flap mechanism, that's a very fair price (IMHO). I'm still on board for picking up a set whenever you get going on it. My interior still is a work in progress, so I've got time to wait.

I'll always wait longer for a better product rather than a lower quality part fast.
webs123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

I would be also interested in the '71 year larger rear vents.
You just can't buy them anywhere. Neither can't refit later ones because body cutouts are different.
steelsoldiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Those are cool! I’ll definitely be needing a set after my new headliner goes in.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWave, that's the spacer that crumbled on me. They're hard to find, i'd be very interested in one. I know there's someone already selling them online, but I don't remember the site or how I came across it....several months ago I think.

I still have the vent in place, it's a bit on the loose side compared to the aftermarket ones, but has never dropped out. I'd be up for buying the set.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Ok, Vamram... Your set of six black vents are on the printer now. They'll be done by morning (barring any failures over night). I'm printing your set in high resolution (0.1mm/layer). I'll shoot some photos in the morning if all looks good. I have a set of reproduction vents that I'll compare them size wise, but I did a slight adjustment to the model to make the a "little bit" tighter. I think the adjustment I made should prove effective.

That's great to hear the vent is still in place. So if these turn out alright, then I guess I'll start producing them for you guys. I have tons of colors available, but suspect black or white will be the colors of choice.

As for the spacer, I'm going to model that for ya. I'm going to initially (for testing), print it in PLA, but I think for the production piece, I'm going to print it in nylon. I think that should hold up much better. Will let you know how it goes.

And thanks everyone for your kind words of support on this. I'm really pleased with how they came out, and how the flap works when installed. Although I don't have a headliner in my car (yet), I did hold one in place, and the flap was very effective. I believe more effective than the original as the flap moves very smoothly.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thomas

vamram wrote:
CWave, that's the spacer that crumbled on me. They're hard to find, i'd be very interested in one. I know there's someone already selling them online, but I don't remember the site or how I came across it....several months ago I think.

I still have the vent in place, it's a bit on the loose side compared to the aftermarket ones, but has never dropped out. I'd be up for buying the set.

CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Success.

The 100 micron prints came out really nice. Just have to assemble them.

Thomas

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Looking good!!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Nice job!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Success.

The 100 micron prints came out really nice. Just have to assemble them.

Thomas

Nice Cool
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thomas this is the dawning of a new age. I am so glad I get to see it. I think it is hilarious that this disruptive future tech is harnessed to bring into being little vent flappers for our out of production mechanical gizmo bugs. When you are ready for production please put me in line for two sets (white), for my 72 super and my son's 72 Super. Lemme know if you need a Tesla-esq deposit to hold my place in line. Wink
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Buggeee: Your comment made me smile! I have actually for some time now been forcing my new tech to service very old hobbies! I don't need a deposit, you're more than welcome to a couple of sets in white. When they're ready, you'll be able to buy them through my 3D design shop at http://www.corei64.com/store

I'm not going to take anyones money however until beginning of next week. This weekend I'm dedicating to installing the headliner in my Sportsbug, so I won't be putting any time towards the vents. I know that it's supposed to be a 6 hour job (for a seasoned professional), but I'm giving myself the entire weekend. Already did some prep-work this evening, getting the workspace cleaned and ready with everything I need.

This weekend, I also have to find some time to pick up some supplies for the hinge pins, as I only have enough on hand for probably 2-3 sets of vents.

Once my headliner is in, I'm going to test fit my final revision just to make sure it's right. I don't want to send out anything that's not perfect.

The high resolution prints came out REALLY nice, so every set I make are going to be high resolution prints. BTW, if you're interested in knowing, it takes 9 hours to print one set! I think these vents really benefit in appearance and function from the higher resolution.

So...I'll ask you to hang tight a little while longer. I'll have them ready to go out the door very soon.

Thomas
mslibertarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

I've been hoping someone with a 3D printer would make defrost elbows. Mine are so old and poor fitting. Part number 34

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Defroster Vents for my Sports Bug Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Thanks everyone.

When they're ready, you'll be able to buy them through my 3D design shop at http://www.corei64.com/store

So...I'll ask you to hang tight a little while longer. I'll have them ready to go out the door very soon.

Thomas

Your site is bookmarked for the near future Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: