Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

This was a difficult removal.

Slide backwards

There are such morons in Samba.

Smile
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Slide backwards

Smile

Glad we could work through that one together Laughing
chansuresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade and Peltier 12v cooler Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:

*Running new heavier battery cable from the main battery/1314A to AUX battery
*Eliminating all the AUX battery small wiring under the seat area
]

Thanks for detail. What cable AWG are you planning for both?
How easy is it to run, and how exactly routed is the heavier cable?
Also when you do this what happens to wiring and relay next to Aux battery ...are the other wires to relay used?

thx!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Slide backwards

Smile

Glad we could work through that one together Laughing

I labelled the fans blue for the front one , since my seat cover is blue, and red for the inner one since my car is red...that seemed logical.

I found an installation procedure on the web for reference, too.

" Reverse of removal"

Euro-van is nicer than My-ole Van.....
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

Here's a crazy total side track Auxiliary Battery question that I've always thought about but wasn't sure if I should try, and never read the answer too:

If the main battery dies, could you jump start the engine/battery with the Aux battery? Or would that create some kind of vortex time loop that would suck you into another dimension?

93 MV Weekender
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

You absolutely can! In fact, there is a pretty awesome write-up in the very first hyperlink (expedition portal) in this thread.

I will throw this out there however. The $ and time spent on parts and installation might also go toward something a little more (in my opinion) handy. I purchased a lithium battery jump starter (https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-18000mAh-Portable-S...&psc=1) for this purpose. Bonus that you can use it to charge 12v items too. Still...never had to use it for our entire 4k mile trip cross country, and we don't have a house battery at all! Good to have for an emergency anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

Jooknon wrote:
Here's a crazy total side track Auxiliary Battery question that I've always thought about but wasn't sure if I should try, and never read the answer too:

If the main battery dies, could you jump start the engine/battery with the Aux battery? Or would that create some kind of vortex time loop that would suck you into another dimension?

I could be wrong here but... I would say, not without modification. The stock configuration has a small cube 30A relay that disconnects the Main and the AUX battery when the van isn't running. You could pop open the base of your driver seat and jumper that but the stock wire connecting the two batteries is pretty small and probably wouldn't provide enough power, or melt in the process of trying.

This is one of the reasons I was inclined to run a new larger wire and the better isolator, for that one time I leave my headlights on and kill the Main battery which is pretty easy to do since the headlights come on with the key in the ACC position unless you have the e-brake set.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
Jooknon wrote:

I could be wrong here but... I would say, not without modification. The stock configuration has a small cube 30A relay that disconnects the Main and the AUX battery when the van isn't running. You could pop open the base of your driver seat and jumper that but the stock wire connecting the two batteries is pretty small and probably wouldn't provide enough power, or melt in the process of trying.

This is one of the reasons I was inclined to run a new larger wire and the better isolator, for that one time I leave my headlights on and kill the Main battery which is pretty easy to do since the headlights come on with the key in the ACC position unless you have the e-brake set.

Mark..you can pull the 94 relay which kills both this feature and the DRLs, and prevents putrefaction of our precious bodily fluids.
goffro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

Hey gang, my girlfriend has a 2002 Transporter T4 Eurovan, and I was looking for a good drop-in replacement aux battery. We ended up buying a replacement aux battery at a Napa mid-trip on a salesman's recommendation (sigh) and I wanted to do some retroactive diligence before the deadline to exchange for a different battery model has expired.

Typical Usage: This Eurovan is used for one or two 7-14 day road trips per year, typically during spring in the western high desert where temps are 20F at night and 80F during the day. It is otherwise parked in storage with the batteries disconnected, and NOT hooked up to any kind of charger. Typically we camp in the middle of nowhere, and infrequently have access to AC power, so batt charging is done mostly from alternator.

Old aux bat: The old aux battery was an Interstate Deep Cycle SRM-29, which (factory) specs at 675 CCA / 845 MCA, with 210Ah reserve capacity at 25 amps. It was 5-6 years old, and was no longer holding a charge.

New aux bat: We ended up buying an Optima Bluetop 34M, which is (factory) spec'd at 1000 MCA / 800 CCA, 50Ah reserve capacity.

Current main bat: Not sure if this is an important detail. It's an older Duralast Gold H5-DLG with 810 CCA / 650 CA at 0F, Reserve Capacity 100.

In hindsight, it seems like this isn't the best aux battery for our application, since it's high in CCA, which we don't need since we don't use it to start anything, and it has a low reserve capacity, which seems to be the most important criterion for an aux battery. Oops. Also, it is a bit smaller, which makes me leery. I'd prefer to have something as large as possible, but maybe that's old school thinking.

Considering our typical usage, is there a better battery we might buy? Is the older SLA technology still better than AGM?

And a few random side-questions:

* Best way to deal with aux (and main) battery when in storage? Simply disconnect and store at room temp over the winter, or don't disconnect and use a trickle charger on main only (will this also charge aux?), other ideas?

* If I plug the van into AC, is this charging either of the batteries?

* "replace stock relay with solenoid" mentioned elsewhere in this thread, is this something that would yield benefits for our typical usage?

* Low-voltage disconnect -- would this be beneficial for our typical usage?

Thanks for your help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

I just replaced my aux battery with this one, which was recommended by a few people on here:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP9894R

It's a bit larger than the stock battery but fits without modification - rated at 80AH.
goffro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

shenan-agon wrote:
I just replaced my aux battery with this one, which was recommended by a few people on here:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP9894R

It's a bit larger than the stock battery but fits without modification - rated at 80AH.

Thanks for your input! Comparing to the Optima Bluetop 34M, your Napa Legend has an 80 hour capacity vs the Optima's 50 hours (both at 20 Amp Hours). Same amount of CCAs and very close MCAs (920 vs Optima's 1000); the NAPA weighs 52 pounds vs Bluetop's 38, and both are priced around $200. Both use AGM technology which I believe means no gassing.

If nothing else, I'll be sure to exchange the Bluetop for the one you suggest since it offers 160% of the amp capacity!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

Jooknon wrote:

I did this routinely until I pulled dollars screaming from my pocket to replace my 14 year old OEM battery.

You only need one jumper cable, positive to positive

Vroom.
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

goffro wrote:
both are priced around $200

Also FYI: I ended up getting it for around $160 - Napa had a sale going on where if you bought a $2 bucket, anything you could fit in it was 20% off Smile

Or you can at least get 10% off by ordering online and picking up in the store...
SPL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

I have a somewhat stupid question. Even after searching, I cannot figure out how to access the battery under the driver seat. Can someone kindly provide me with instructions? Thanks.
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
When I bought my 93 the stock relay was melted and the aux battery was long dead.

I did a little spruce up to my system without getting carried away. I simply replaced the relay with a solenoid and added a low voltage disconnect to protect the battery from over discharge which seems like a must have. I used a cheap $15 solar controller from Amazon that has Low-volt disconnect built in, I'm not using the solar charge part. I also converted my rear cabin fluorescent to dimmable LED which was a HUGE improvement with controllable light level and super low power draw. I also bought a cigarette USB charger that has an LED volt meter built in so I can visually monitor the voltage. There are some nice watt meters available on amazon for about $12 that will show current levels and accumulated usage.

Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L37KZI6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SXZDKTW/ref=wl_it_dp_...&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PKYILS/ref=wl_it_dp_...&psc=1

I am surprised to learn today that my aux battery is the original Varta DE from the factory. I called the customer care to run the numbers to be sure and it's from 2002.

As I prepare to replace it with (probably) the NAPA, I am trying to understand my infrastructure options.

I have the following charger/maintainer if I want to tend the battery from a wall plug. I'm not sure if it's of decent quality but it came with the van.

https://www.duracellpower.com/products/4-amp-battery-charger-maintainer

I am not clear on the low voltage disconnect part of this summary from markcm2. Would I run this in between either the maintainer or a solar panel to regulate what's going into the aux battery?

I think I just need to swap out the battery and add this component. I am not sensing a need to get into the other guts under the drivers seat. But, I would appreciate any clarification on the low voltage disconnect component. Thank you!
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

jmciii wrote:

As I prepare to replace it with (probably) the NAPA, I am trying to understand my infrastructure options.

I have the following charger/maintainer if I want to tend the battery from a wall plug. I'm not sure if it's of decent quality but it came with the van.

https://www.duracellpower.com/products/4-amp-battery-charger-maintainer

I am not clear on the low voltage disconnect part of this summary from markcm2. Would I run this in between either the maintainer or a solar panel to regulate what's going into the aux battery?

I would appreciate any clarification on the low voltage disconnect component. Thank you!

I don't know if I'm late, I just ran across this thread. First of all, if you really plan to use your house system, like for running a refri, then GoWesty has a Lithium replacement that will give you a huge increase in power and overall life. You may not need it if you barely use your house power.

As far as a low voltage disconnect, yes, any solar charge controller will have that feature. Or you can buy a dedicated device. like the Victron BatteryProtect BP-65 (about $35 on Amazon). To use the charge controller, connect it's battery out terminals to the battery and then run all of your loads off of the charge controller's load terminals. They will be labeled.

On the Weekender, you would do that by finding the main lead (thicker red wire, if I remember) going to the little fuse array on the hinged panel in front of the seat, disconnect it from the aux battery and then connect it to the load output of the charge controller or the Victron disconnect. Most charge controllers will be setup for cutoff voltages used with lead acid batteries. If you were to install lithium, a Battery Disconnect like the Victron with voltage settings would be better. Or get a charge controller with a lithium load disconnect profile. More and more are offering that as Lithium gains popularity.

That will be more money and only makes sense if using solar.

Your AC 4 amp charger will work with the lead acid. If you upgrade to lithium, look into one of the Victron chargers or some other brand that has a lithium charge profile.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

I just have to throw this out there, and losely borrowing from Cole with Cave Van, but the all in one Lithium systems (generator) may provide a great alternative for some foks reading this thread.

I personally have Goal Zero stuff, but there are other solid and less expensive alternatives out there. For me the beauty of these portable systems is just that. Portability. Depending on the size, you can power all kinds of devices while using your van, and then use it on your boat, in your car, bike trailer, backyard, in your house, etc. I can charge my Yeti's using wall, solar, 12vdc, vehicle alternator and in the case of my Yeti 3000, something called the Tank expansion which oddly is a 100ah AGM battery with special case & cabling to make it plug & play. I can even combine some of the charging methods to create a super charge so to speak.
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

Quote:
For me the beauty of these portable systems is just that. Portability.

Yep. For people who just need a little more power than the Weekender factory (or rocking a GLS, like Cole builds out) and don't want to get all involved in sorting out a system design , an all-in-one box makes sense. Harder to tie in to the house system (if you have one) and longer wiring to charge with the alternator if that's desired but there will be a way. And, as you say, you can pull it out and throw it in another vehicle or use it for a disaster quite readily.

I think there are three good paths depending on your situation:

1) Just maintain what Westfalia or Winnebago put there. Swap out batteries and components as they fail. Easy, but the least power and more limited, good for low investment little or no problem solving needed.

2) Throw in a battery based "generator " Cole style. More power can run a chest fridge. Most "buck for the bang", but almost no problem solving needed, a system in a box, with component add-ons. Takes up critical storage space. Probably no alternator charging. Good for folks with some cash who might not keep their van long or use it that frequently in the boonies. And don't need every cubic inch of storage space, like I do.

3) Upgrade to lithium, and upgrade components to a modern DC system. Most buck, but most bang. Allows you to keep using the space already dedicated to the house system. Since I live for months in the van, usually with the wife, I wouldn't want to give up the space behind those little doors. I rely on that storage. And using the van for months at a time makes the investment in a maxed out house system worth it. Once it's built, you're done for a long time and components can be replaced individually if failure does occur, though less likely. Requires the most knowledge and problem solving.

Seems like it's really worth understanding how you will be using your EV as that will help decide which approach is the best fit for your van.
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

All good points.

Just for clarification though, Goal Zero make a vehicle integration kit for tying their lithium systems to the starter battery or the house battery.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/kits/yeti-link-car-charging-kit/
Amkelly28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekender Auxiliary Battery Upgrade Reply with quote

I have just discovered my 1993 has an aux battery I didn’t even think was there. I don’t have a full camper just a weekender with a pop top. I originally bought a goal zero so I could run things when camping and solar panels for that so now I have power for days...
I’m excited but I don’t know where to start. I just replaced the main battery because it kept draining when parked and I couldn’t figure out why. Now I’m pretty sure this aux battery has something to do with it. I would love to have it run the lights and the cooler I see where the cigarette lighter plug is for the cooler and I was wondering about plugging my adaptor I have already so I can plug in phones or possible a fan since A/C doesn’t work. Any leads on getting cooler working, how to make sure it doesn’t drain main battery, and how to change the fuses greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: