Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

Just about to instll new Jaycees on my 2387 as the current tubes are weeping. My question is, should i apply a bit of vaseline to the O rings on the inner tube to prevent binding? Or would white grease be best?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

I always use a little silicone grease on those, just habit when using o rings anywhere.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

I use the same oil I run in the engine.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/#q=jaycee+pushrod+tube+installation+trick
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
Just about to instll new Jaycees on my 2387 as the current tubes are weeping. My question is, should i apply a bit of vaseline to the O rings on the inner tube to prevent binding? Or would white grease be best?

I've had the same problem with my Jaycees leaking. Using white grease won't be a long-term solution as it dissipates over time. Oil is no good either.

Some use vaseline or other all-purpose grease on the O-rings. Others add a second feature by creating a "dam" with a lip of RTV silicone on the bottom half of the tube overlap (this keeps the oil from leaking out).

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

I use a little red silicone. Always worked for me.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

For the price I would think they will last a lifetime and never leak. I say pull the heads and use CB wide mouth's. Otherwise a little Curil K2 would be my next go-to.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about Jaycee pushrod tubes install Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
For the price I would think they will last a lifetime and never leak. I say pull the heads and use CB wide mouth's. Otherwise a little Curil K2 would be my next go-to.

I tried the scat 3 oring gold ones and ditched them they leaked more than i wanted to see on my buggy and went cb big mouth too.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: