Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pumping setup on a 1700?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

How is fuel pumping set up on a carbureted 1700 engine? There's no mechanical pump, so an electrical should be hooked up? Does it work like FI engines where there's a fuel ring out and back into the tank with a pressure regulator? How was it originally on buses that came with the 1700 engine?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

Type 4's that were factory equipped with carbs used a mechanical pump: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541339

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

Does it work like FI engines where there's a fuel ring out and back into the tank with a pressure regulator?

No. The carbureted setup doesn't return fuel to the tank like a FI system does. You can have a low pressure electric pump going through a fuel pressure regulator to bring the pressure down to around 2 1/2 psi. Here's one I used.

Amazon
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Summit Racing

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

I believe it was Bus Daddy that had a post on how to relieve the pressure in the lines after shutdown so that the engine doesn't flood as badly during a hot soak. You might consider following his lead if you are installing a system from scratch.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy. I looked at the case and this is what I found:

It looks like it's plugged from the factory? Nothing in there except for a bug nest I had to clean out.. So how do you think this specific engine was delivered gas? Was there ever a factory low pressure electric pump for carbureted engines?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle

Last edited by beetleman217 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

Aeromech, the Carter one from Amazon, does it include the regulator? Is it that smaller cylindrical part?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Aeromech, the Carter one from Amazon, does it include the regulator? Is it that smaller cylindrical part?
The longer cylinder is the fuel pump and the shorter one is an inline fuel filter.

Aeromech's second picture shows a fuel pressure regulator.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
beetleman217 wrote:
The longer cylinder is the fuel pump and the shorter one is an inline fuel filter.

You mean his 3rd picture? But the Amazon product description says it is internally regulated?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
beetleman217 wrote:

You mean his 3rd picture? But the Amazon product description says it is internally regulated?

Yes, the third picture. Yes the pump is internally regulated, but many prefer to use a quality external regulator because these carbs don't tolerate overpressure very well.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

That must be a 411/412 or Porsche case designed for FI, I see it has what looks like the early relief plug.

Those rotary pumps are pretty good at maintaining pressure, but a good regulator is worth the time and expense just in case, some of those pumps are made in China afterall.

I've also had good luck with Facet's Gold-flo and Posi-flo products.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

Summit Racing
[/quote]

I have the same pressure regulator on my 74 - I like what you did with the addition of a pressure gauge. What brand/model is the gauge, if you don't mind sharing that information.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pumping setup on a 1700? Reply with quote

My 1700 has that oil pressure relief also- it was present for solid lifters only- That should be in quotes-

Then there is the mechanical pumps push rod that must remain or you dump oil pressure thru its bore.

When replacing the mechanical pump- a new pump rod is often needed.- and you should put the fuel lines on the pump first- don't forget the bakelite spacer.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: