Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ruby red '63 patina project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

I've been a bit out of things for a while, due to divorce and major life changes. I sold pretty much all the cars I had, except for a half share of a bay Westy with a buddy.

I spotted this for sale on Facebook in Northern Sweden a few weeks ago. I had no spare money, so I sold a couple bikes, an original Tamiya sand scorcher and a few parts and made it mine. Here is a pic from the vendor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's been sitting outside for years and was covered in thick moss. I shipped it over on a boat from Sweden without going to see it, as it fits my plans as far as build year and has cloth seats and a factory eberspacher heater. Plans are for a stock height patina driver car, hopefully one that I can fulfill a dream in of driving to Nordkapp (the north cape of Norway) in the winter. Will update with arrival pics and getting started, but it will be back burner status for a couple of months. It has a nice patina decklid on it, but the wrong year, so a '63 correct decklid was included, but I need to paint match it. Here's a few pics for now.

bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

So I decided to do a clean up and moss removal. My buddy Johnny came over and we used bathroom mould spray, soapy water and green kitchen sponge scourers.
Here's the before:

And here's some after pics:
Wet...

Dry...

A small section buffed out...

Then it was onto removing all the rotted out carpet, homebrew rubber mats, leaves and rubbish. I leaned on the pass. Seat and it sank through the floor. When we removed it, my foot went through. Feels good to have it cleared out. All the rear luggage area, front and rear bumper mounts, etc seem really good and solid. Just need to save up for some green channels and German quality pans.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Paint looks like it'll turn out good!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

That was same color as my bug when it was new. Looks complete
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Sweet car.. Gersons channels and some pans, you'll be set.
Looks like the original glove box made it too!

What's the tubing that runs through the passenger side engine fire wall?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

why is there an egg timer under the dashboard ???
oil pressure guage ????

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:

What's the tubing that runs through the passenger side engine fire wall?

The original Breathalyzer starter interlock. Razz

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
why is there an egg timer under the dashboard ???
oil pressure guage ????

I was kinda thinking gas heater, especially with that odd ducting to the left of the column.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

This shot of the roof moss-

reminded me of this famous roof-
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The tubing to the right of the engine bay is the original engine oil warmer; it was a Swedish winter thing, to get the car upto operating temps quicker and avoid the car trying to start on thick engine oil in sub zero temperatures. You can see the plug on the end in the rusty floorpan shot. It goes to a special sump plate, in place of the original type.

The thing under the dash is indeed the 24hr timer for the eberspächer heater.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

... nice patina and lotza' nice accessories.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Thanks Zenvwdriver 😊

I had a stroke of luck a few days ago, when a friend on Instagram contacted me with a killer deal on the correct year rear seat.

The original front seats are there and are cloth, with this pattern. Eventually I hope to get them redone; this cloth is available from Himmelservice in Germany.

My other small concern when buying the car, was the absence of the original door cards. I didn't really want TMI replacement ones. I saw these on eBay a couple of weeks ago, but they were too expensive. The auction ended and they were unsold. I messaged an offer a week or more after the auction had ended and managed to get them for half the original buy it now price. I paid £80 for the set and with a little love, they'll be perfect. They even came off a Swedish car and have a 1967 Swedish tax disc on them! 😊

The car was found by the previous owner with no decklid on. This accounts for the seized engine; it's a Vw factory replacement case, missing most ancillary parts, but still has distributor and one stale air heat exchanger on. It is seized solid; presumably from being open to the elements without an inlet manifold or rocker covers on. I will try to clear out the inlet ports and fill with diesel or Marvel mystery oil, to see if I can free it up and strip for rebuild.

The PO threw on this matching patina '65 decklid

But also included a correct '63 lid into the deal.

I want the correct lid on the car, so will buff out the '65 lid and hang it on the wall, then strip and repaint the correct year lid for the car. It's factory black on the back side and I need to find and weld on the spring hanger and, of course, match the patina.
I write for a couple of VW magazines and this little project update will be in the next Volksworld magazine 😊😊

Lastly for now, it was my birthday 2 days ago and my best buddy and Vw partner in crime blew me away with an original Swedish '63 instruction manual, parts price list and VW dealer map, in the original wallet. I was so stoked with this!!!

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Wow! Awesome update. That's great that you have those door cards... It was meant to be😃
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

It feels like it was with the door cards; a friend has a 62 project and has struggled to find original door cards for the past 3 years. I couldn't afford them, but just couldn't pass them up.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Oh man I would have left the moss! Looks great without it though...
Buscowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Lets get the Westy sold and you can plough( plow for our US friends) into the Ruby Red Very Happy
1970 FI Auto Squareback
1999 T4 Transporter 2.5 TDI Reimo

http://www.youtube.com/@BuscowboyClassics

https://www.instagram.com/buscowboy/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

Here's some inspiration for you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659386
Allan Buc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

http://therascalscats.skynetblogs.be/blog/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

^ Nice!

I bought a long swan neck passenger side hinge mirror at a show in summer 2015. I didn't have an early car to put it on at that time, but knew it was pretty rare and it was only £10. I gifted it to my buddy johnnylongtime, but he just gifted it back, as he's fitting Albert mirrors on his car. He even found a threaded hinge pin, lower nut and olive for me. The mounting pin on the mirror has been ground down for some reason and will need building up with weld and re-grinding, but I'm really happy with it. Just need to find a matching driver side one.

GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby red '63 patina project Reply with quote

I was wondering something. I have the same timer for the Eberspacher heater as your car. Do you know if the heater can be turned on and off aeperwate of the timer or must you always turn the heater to on, then additional turn the heater timer to on as well for the heater to work???
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: