Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve lifter fell apart during engine assembly!
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Valve lifter fell apart during engine assembly! Reply with quote

During assembly of my stock -70 1.7 I was by hand wiggeling in the #4 exhaust lifter and it fell apart Shocked , no force at all was used. All other lifters seems OK, should be stock lifters.

Have been running this engine for the last 50000 of its 100000 miles, did not notice any strange sounds last time I started it which was a short run after sitting for 10 years.

Only thing I can remember as strange was one rocker shaft came lose for about 4000 miles ago...retightened it and everything looked and sounded OK since then...dont remember if it was this side though and if it could have any influence(?)

Looking at the broken ends (pic at the bottom) it seems that some of the fracture is hammered (but not wery much) so it might be that it broke during running and have been held together by the force from the valve springs.
Lifter bore and cam lobe looks unharmed.

What can the reason be and is this a known issue with Type4 lifters?

//Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve lifter fell apart during engine assembly! Reply with quote

Solid lifter of course right.....from what I can tell?

Not sure. I have never seen on breal like that.....but you have the machined oil groove and the drilled oil hole......and its a hardened part.....so maybe the odd rare stress crack that was there since the lifter was new.....and finally gave out.

Let us know how the others look....and also post a link to this thread on the type forum in the shoptalk forums. More overall type 4 experience there. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Valve lifter fell apart during engine assembly! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Solid lifter of course right.....from what I can tell?

Not sure. I have never seen on breal like that.....but you have the machined oil groove and the drilled oil hole......and its a hardened part.....so maybe the odd rare stress crack that was there since the lifter was new.....and finally gave out.

Let us know how the others look....and also post a link to this thread on the type forum in the shoptalk forums. More overall type 4 experience there. Ray

Thanks Ray!
Yes solid stock lifters but they are hollowed so not wery much steel where they broke. All lifters and valve tips/adjusters looks ok.
The lifter bore has no damage at all...a tread is also in the Tye4rum...

//Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: