Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar"
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamonAndTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

I thought you all might enjoy this little vignette I made. I purchased my 1986 Westy 2 months ago and have performed a number of fun upgrades. Learned tons from this forum.

Link
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Gonna need details....on the projector for certain.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Projector deets please!
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Cool. Black Mirror? I binge-watched the crap out of that a few months back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

AWESOME work and vid!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

You seem to be living right.
I quite enjoyed that.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

NOT your typical newbie post... Wink

Welcome, and "well done!"

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Awesome! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Welcome!
Great video, loads of cool added extras. Livin' the dream! Very Happy

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Love the wine rack! We keep large frypans under the T49, but wine is usually more important that a 14" wok!
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unreal. Bravo! Welcome to Samba, indeed.

dhaavers wrote:
NOT your typical newbie post... Wink

Right?! LOL!
DamonAndTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm reception guys. Very Happy

Regarding the projector, the screen is the Pyle PRJTP46 40" Projector Screen, mobile Pull-Out Style Portable(32'' x 24''). I purchased from Amazon for $40. It's just the right size to mount behind the seats on the ceiling. I used basic 2 inch wood screws drilled at an angle through the projector screen feet/mounts and directly into the ceiling. The screen is light and this was enough to keep it secured. Be sure to mount it back far enough for the screen to unfold and not hit the galley stove.

The projector is a 'pico' projector. The ZTE Spro 2. I did a ton of research and this I believe is the best pico projector on the market. It's not cheap. It runs Andriod OS and includes a touch screen which makes it a very all-in-one device (what I wanted, because the art of owning a Vanagon as I've discovered is about economy of space). So you can download the Netflix and Hulu app for entertainment, browse the web or ... Well you can do whatever you might do on your phone generally speaking. I use my jail broken iPhone (with unlimited data) as a wifi hotspot which works quite nicely. Cool

The ZTE is mounted on the ceiling and secured with a small pivoting camera mount. I spent a good deal of time aligning the drill holes for the mount as it needs to be positioned precisely to match/orient to the width of the screen. (Further back is larger and closer makes the image smaller. There is no manual focal size adjustment on this projector). As it turns out (luck) it sits about an inch back from the precipice of the ceiling where it meets the pop top fold out bed. Perfect.

The image quality is *really good* (justice not done in this vid). The quality + inconspicuous form factor makes it a winner in my book. Also I really like that it has a smart auto-focus and auto-keystone. Easy.

Oh...and the in-built speaker on the projector is pretty decent actually.. but the *big bonus* is that you can run audio over bluetooth to the car stereo! If you have a decent stereo rig this allows for a full 'theater' experience.

Happy to answer any other questions. TF65 was a bitch. Not sure I'd do it again. Shocked

Last edited by DamonAndTheSea on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
DamonAndTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Cool. Black Mirror? I binge-watched the crap out of that a few months back.

Yep. Good catch. Really love this show. Recently binge watching season 3.
kwh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a little behind here.... but can you tell more about the wine 'cellar'? It's great, along with the rest of your upgrades. Smile
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Upgrades Video - Solar, TF65, Projector, Wine "Cellar" Reply with quote

"Last Visited: April 06, 2017"

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: