Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking front door adjustment advice
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Seeking front door adjustment advice Reply with quote

While chasing down a wind noise issue, I noticed that my driver's door is a tad bit out of alignment and can see where the upper door hinge has moved 1 or 2 mm outward. I suspect someone hung onto the door while it was opened causing the door to no longer shut tight against the body at the upper front corner of the door.

It seems like I should be able to loosen the hinge bolts (I can see which ones are no longer in the right spot relative to the hinge), realign, then tighten.

Is it that simple or will this turn into, "now I need to realign the door striker, now the other hinge, oh shit now nothing is straight"?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking front door adjustment advice Reply with quote

It wasn't that simple for me, I hope it is for you. Cool

I thought it would be relatively simple to lift up the door and tighten.
I recall reading several threads (this may have been 8-10 years ago)
that involved folks using metal plates in there behind the hinge ?
Mine is just a *little* bit low so I just left it as is.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking front door adjustment advice Reply with quote

In the same boat, mine hangs low in the back and I've tried adjusting several times with no joy. I think the hinge area may have gotten tweaked. Figured it would have to wait until I get paint done and I'll have the body shop guys fix it.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking front door adjustment advice Reply with quote

Here's several threads I'm going through to see if there's something I missed before.
I'm tired of the sagging door routine.
I know for sure I'm not going to try the 5 ton press idea, though if I'd been in an accident that looks like an interesting solution.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking front door adjustment advice Reply with quote

Looks like I HAD missed something! Excellent!
From Christopher at T3 technique.

I'm going to check with a body shop tomorrow.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=393208&highlight=front+door+hinge+adjustment
gonna see life my way

pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking front door adjustment advice Reply with quote

I have a problem with my doors too, but a different one. Mine aren't closed tightly enough to avoid wind noise. I'll be trying to just move the doors inward without changing their allignment-- probably about a 64th of an inch. But I've wondered if the door seals could be thickened up instead-- by cutting thin bicycle innertube rubber and placing it under part of the surface that is glued down. That is, run a blade along thee rubber, going in about 1/3 of the way, then sliding the innertube spacer in with a contact cement. Anyone ever tried this??
OH yeah: as the leaky seals allow air in, making the hissing sound, the specific areas of leakage can be easily seen by slowly moving a lighted cigarette along the joint (while someone is doing the driving, of course).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: