Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction Fuchs
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

Does anyone have any feedback on the chrome plated Fuchs that cip1 sells? I was considering the 6" wide ones with the 5x130 bolt pattern .One of their sales persons told me that they are not empi but another company I have never heard of. My main concern is the quality of the plating. Any feedback would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

If they are MWS I would stay away. All repro Fuchs are single dipped, but the MWS wheels are not as good as the Empis. I'm not happy with the quality of mine as they are starting to show signs of pitting etc.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

It's always a risk buying cheap chromed plated wheels. Much safer bet to go with polished.

Last edited by 911pickup on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eric m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

I understand the risk with cheap chrome plated Aluminum wheels.i talked with someone at CIP1 ant the guy said that they were triple chrome plated. Yes they are the MWS wheels. I talked with a local shop that sell the EMPI knock offs and he gave me a good price on them so I think I will just go with them. I can't believe I'm calling empi the better quality ones!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

Personally I'd go with polished. I haven't seen ANY chromed wheel, low end or high end, with chrome that lasts more than 5 years. Chrome does not stick to corners or edges well and it peels. Doesn't matter how many layers of chrome are on them.

brad
ssx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

The guy at CIP1 either doesn't know anything or is lying. The MWS wheels are not triple plated. I have seen triple plated chrome last for many years if they are kept up and clean.
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

I have the cip1 chrome fuchs.. Absolutely no problems with them and they are gorgeous. Look as good or better than any empis I have seen. I don't daily drive or bad weather though. Always garaged. That's just my opinion...
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

If not processed properly, the chrome can flake or peel and it's an expensive fix.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

CIP1 chrome Fuchs aren't chrome plated. It's a painted on coating that looks like chrome. Scratches as easily as paint scratches, so they get towel marks if you wipe them down and there's any dust/grit on them. They almost have a slight "rainbow" look in direct sunlight, similar to bright dip/anodized aluminum but much less noticeable. Since they're sprayed they have a little bit of orange peel.

I bought a set for my '63 Vert, they're good for a daily driver but they're not show quality. They don't have the price that show quality Fuchs have so I'm not complaining, but I wish I'd known that they weren't real chrome before I bought them. They look good on Instagram, that's all that matters, right? Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

I bought a pair of 4 1/2" polished CIP1 Fuchs and they look great. I'm only using them during the mock-up of my chassis, then the real ones go on. It will make a great spare.
buntist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Fuchs Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
CIP1 chrome Fuchs aren't chrome plated. It's a painted on coating that looks like chrome. Scratches as easily as paint scratches, so they get towel marks if you wipe them down and there's any dust/grit on them. They almost have a slight "rainbow" look in direct sunlight, similar to bright dip/anodized aluminum but much less noticeable. Since they're sprayed they have a little bit of orange peel.

I bought a set for my '63 Vert, they're good for a daily driver but they're not show quality. They don't have the price that show quality Fuchs have so I'm not complaining, but I wish I'd known that they weren't real chrome before I bought them. They look good on Instagram, that's all that matters, right? Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow, that ride is awesome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: