Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip Question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Trip Question Reply with quote

I've read a bunch of the travel posts and it has inspired my wife and I to drive our bus out west (from florida) this sept. for our 10th wedding anniversery and I was wondering how many miles in a day do you usually drive without being uncomfortable? My plan is to "meander" out to the grand canyon and then up to Utah and then head home, I will have 16 days in total to do this trip. Yes before you ask the bus is going through a very detailed checklist to make sure it's ready for this kind of trip Very Happy . Quick details on the bus: 1976 Westy 2.0 liter Solid Lifter, Dual Baby Del's, Automatic Transmission (currently no external oil/transmission cooler but it will have at least the oil cooler before the trip).

"Growing older, but not up!"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

My wife is usually good for about 400 miles or right around 8 hours on an extended road trip. Denver is 345 miles from us and she has no problem with that drive in one day. Anything over that and she gets a bit antsy.

I look forward to reading about your adventure. There are plenty of us here on thesamba that will be willing to help if something arises during your trip. Don't be afraid to ask. Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

Thanks and don't worry The Samba is a link on the main screen of the phone. Very Happy Hopefully I won't need any assistance but at very minimum it'll be place to post pics.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

I can take about 1-1 1/2 hours before I need to get out and stretch. I have lower back, hip and knee problems so I need to get out and move a bit. 25 years ago I could spend all day behind the wheel of a bus.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

I usually run about 680 to 700 miles a day ; Laughing Laughing

in one of theese Twisted Evil

4 days from St. Pete to L A....a little town called Junction Texas is about half way .
Take the Route 17 truck bypass in Phoenix AZ and the Anderson Loop in San Antonio TX to miss downtown traffic .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On a serious note ; there are sections of I -10 through Texas ( 869 miles ) where gas stations are few and far apart . Start looking for fuel when you get 1/3 tank . Pilot truck stops sell a small book that lists every truck stop in the US . could come in handy if your looking for free truck stop camping....showers $8 and you can.. Very Happy " shower with a friend " Very Happy
NEVER park between the BIG RIGS !!!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

Long trip protocol

2 hours, break
2 hours, lunch

2 hours, break
2 hours, early dinner

Relax.

Make up time in evening if needed.

You will cover 400 miles a day in an easily sustainable, comfortable plan which won't be upset by weather, traffic or other contingencies.

Remember your copilot is just as car-weary as you, so swapping drivers is not a cure for making more miles safely,
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
... I will have 16 days in total to do this trip. ...

For extended trips I plan on two days of repairs/breakdowns. If all goes well I have those days as free play near the end of the return. Each day I allow two hours for repairs breakdowns. My camper is in good condition and I usually arrive earlier than planned.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

be prepared for your bus to run like crap at higher elevations.
don't be hampered by the "but we need to get there" syndrome. what is comfortable for others might not work for you.

allowing two days for repairs/breakdowns, and two hours per day? that thinking would drive me insane. i guess i was fortunate in all of my travels. i almost never had any issues that could not be repaired quickly (a broken fan belt comes to mind). the problems that were more significant (blown up bearings in a reduction box) did not even really keep me down for more than a couple hours. i can count the number of times i needed to be down for more than 24 hours, and i can count them on one hand, and have several fingers remaining uncounted. sitting here trying to think of major problems that arose for me, and i can't think of any. i made sure everything was in good condition prior to leaving and carried a plethora of spare parts just in case (wound up just taking up space in the end). of course my busses were also my daily transport, so they always had to be in tip-top running condition. granted things will happen, but setting out on a long trip with questionable equipment is asking for problems.

Last edited by hazetguy on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

What there are higher elevations than 312 feet? Laughing

BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

In the unlikely event that you need to get your bus serviced while on the road. Road Haus is a great resource.

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops.php

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

Has been bookmarked Smile

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
... allowing two days for repairs/breakdowns, and two hours per day? that thinking would drive me insane. i guess i was fortunate in all of my travels. i almost never had any issues that could not be repaired quickly ...

Bad gas at a fillup was a four hour delay. The tanker had filled the underground gasoline tank with diesel and I got a mixture. An hour of diagnosis and three hours of walking to a parts store for fuel cans and walking to another gas station for good fuel and then walking back to the camper. You can get a good distance from a small town with just the good gas in the carburetor bowl and some crappy running with the mixture. A fuel pump breakdown was a four day delay on a three day holiday weekend in another small town. A points rubbing block that wore prematurely was an overnight delay.

Shit happens and being prepared with time, parts, tools, money and AAA is part of the VW driving experience.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

While the point of breakdowns is on the topic. Travel with a good tool kit. I travel with two boxes, one with tools and one with parts. Parts box has points, cap, rotor and condenser. Valve cover gaskets and spare throttle cable. If you are using an electric fuel pump, pack one of those too.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

Push it long and hard going across the lowlands so that you have maximum time once you reach the west. You should easily be able to make 600 miles a day and 800 if you are pretty tolerant of sitting. Running a lap or two around a rest area every hour or two can give you a reset if you are the athletic type. My wife loves to drive after dark, so me will sometimes get a lot of mile between sundown and sun up, trading out driving and stopping for 2 hour naps as the need arises.

My wife and I have done 1250 miles in just over 24 hours which included a short sleep stop in the afternoon to allow the sun to sink before we dropped down into the Sonora and my wife and one daughter once put just under 3000 miles on the clock in not much more than 2 1/2 days.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

You have to decide if you are traveling on a destination basis (I want to get to point X) or a trip basis - maximizing opportunity to see America on the way while still staying on a schedule.

If you don't choose the opportunity route, you are missing some of the amazing parts and people of America, IMHO - and thats from an east coast liberal.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

I'm quite impressed by the amount of miles you guys do in a day, 800? Wow!

I guess it depends on what roads you drive (we usually avoid interstates and go for the windy old country roads instead), but 400 is a stretch for us, and if we wanna spend some time in a place and not just rush by, then it's more like 200 on a driving day. And after 5 days of consecutive driving days we get really tired of them and appreciate a day without movement.
Of course it all depends on your time frame and length of trip, but my general tip would be to take it slow and maybe visit less, that way you'll have lots more fun and less stress if something goes wrong.

Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:
I'm quite impressed by the amount of miles you guys do in a day, 800? Wow!

I agree that's even a lot on a modern car.

We do what most of the other posters wrote.

Leave in the AM full of fuel. Drive that tank, with a bathroom break or two. Stop for lunch at a destination we picked while driving which will coincide with a fill up. Then continue on the next 200 or so miles, also with bathroom breaks.

There are many phone aps out there you can use to fine just about anything you like while traveling in the US. We use Around Me, it tells you where fuel, food, hotels, etc. near your current location. It will also map it for you. It's been one of the best tools for us on the road, we've found some get restaurants with it (in really crappy cities).
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:

NEVER park between the BIG RIGS !!!!

Maybe a dumb question but whats the reason for this? I have read it before, but never an explanation as to why.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

In my Bus I will drive no more than 500 to 600 miles in a day. That is at 60-65 mph.

It depends on your Bus' mechanical condition and your seats. I have some very nice recovered Subaru Legacy seats that are heated and super comfortable.

I could drive my Bus further, but don't want to rush too much.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Question Reply with quote

Depends if you are going Interstate or more back roads. I usually go a max of 600 miles in a day. I find I can go longer time wise on back roads because they are more interesting, but the miles don't rack up as fast. Interstates can tire you out - more boring and harder work to drive a bus on the interstate than back roads. Given a choice, I'd take more time and drive slower and enjoy the trip.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: