Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crew Cab third door seal
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Crew Cab third door seal Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a source for a replacement door seal for the 3rd door on a bay window crew cab? If not, has anyone had any luck adapting a universal seal or cargo door seal?
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcm? check out item number 180016219675 - split crew door seal
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I saw several vendors with the split window seal but figured they would say if it fit a bay window too. Anyone used a split window 3rd door seal on a bay? I'll also call one of the vendors to get their thoughts.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to 1-800 tech support at WCM. He said he had a customer try a 58-67 seal on a bay window 3rd door a couple years ago and he ended up ripping it out because the door wouldn't shut right.

I saved the original seal, intact and in 1 piece. I have an e-mail in to a manufacturer to see what my options are - universal, close match, or even limited run production using the original as a template. I'll post their response when I get it.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with an engineer at Soffseal (www.soffseal.com). To reproduce the seal I have, which I saved intact, would be (i) +/- $2,000 to set up the tooling, and (ii) a minimum of 60 seals at +/- $125 per seal. If I only ordered the minimum number, that would equate to a cost of about $160 per seal with tooling. Even if I sold them at cost, I can't imagine too many bay crew owners out there willing to fork over $160 for one seal.

I plan on cutting the seal I removed with a razor and faxing Soffseal an image of the profile, in case they have a stock seal with a similar profile. I'll let everyone know if that pans out.

So what is everyone else out there doing when their 3rd door seal goes bad? I can't believe I am the only one who has had to deal with this issue, seeing how the bay crew cabs are all at least 35 years old now. Any suppliers out there who are considering making this part?
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiOdy81 wrote:
So what is everyone else out there doing when their 3rd door seal goes bad? I can't believe I am the only one who has had to deal with this issue, seeing how the bay crew cabs are all at least 35 years old now.

work it. i scored an nos one on german online auctions for $10. pushed that seller further and came up with nos german front cab door seals with part numbers. learned some german language in the process. i've since laid low giving others a crack at it.

don't pull anymore seals until you have replacements Idea
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - good suggestion. Actually, I have a good friend who came from Germany who owes me a favor, I think I will turn her loose on the web and see what she comes up with.

Believe me, I didn't want to remove it before securing a replacement, but I have rust repair to deal with and that is the only way I could access the metal. Which is why I spent a half hour scraping it off in 1 piece - in case I have to reuse it.
VWMIKE76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure where the past owner got the seal for mine but its a tight sweet fit. I would imagine its just a search and see what is available for what price. as for having someone fab them at 125 a seal if there were enough of us that would purchase one for current use or to have one to hang onto for future use we could push the cost down
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you watching this thread and still looking for a decent 3rd door seal, here's an update.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are some photos of a seal I just purchased off of paruzzi.com, part # 27531, compared to the OEM seal I took off. The molding profile appears to be identical to the original seal, but the details are off. The 4 corners are mitered and glued (original was molded). there are also small channels cut on the top and bottom of the original which are missing on the replacement.

If I don't find a better solution by next year this one will probably work fine, although I will probably separate the 4 corners, clean up the cuts, and re-glue them on installation. I was also kind of disappointed that it didn't include the separate bottom seal like the originals did - the way the part # was listed I was optimistic it would.

The invoice was 57,82 euros total - 37,82 for the part and 20,00 for shipping - which is about $75.00 USD at the current exchange rate. At that price, I think there is still a good opportunity for someone to make a good replacement (hint hint).

Chris (MiOdy81)

PS - Lesson learned - access the site through paruzzi.com, not volksrepairs.nl. Trying to order using a translation utility is no fun (don't ask me how I know).
VWMIKE76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics of the differences, when a good one is found I'll be getting a spare to have!
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's optimistic and applaude the effort. you seem like the kind of guy who should get himself a satisfactory or better seal. doing the right thing,,otoh in parts of euroland the seal shown might be considered a bargain..
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to leave anyone with the wrong impression based on my comments in my last post. Even though the door seal I bought leaves something to be desired, I really should mention the fact that the folks at paruzzi.com did a nice job with customer service. They responded to my e-mails in a timely fashion, put up with my language translation woes, and got the part to me within a week of ordering it. I've been really frustrated in the past trying to correspond with/order from a couple of other European on-line retailers, so this was a pleasant surprise. I'd order from them again.

Chris (MiOdy81)
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update, I received an email recently from Custom and Commercial in the UK saying that they were now carrying Vewib seals and that Vewib has been actively acquiring the original tooling for OEM seals. I emailed them to suggest that the 3rd door crew cab seal would be a good seller based on how long it has been NLA. Their response: "Hello Chris I will talk to Vewib German, I'm sure we did talk about this before and I think the tooling was being looked for, I will let you know if we have any luck." One can only hope.... that would make for a nice Christmas present.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for stepping up to the plate on this! I need at least two of those, considering the rarity, I would guess $150-200 per seal (if quality made) would be appropriate for such a niche market. Please keep us posted. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at times i recomend the slider door seal lots of material to work with, the profile looks like the rear cargo seal.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Crew Cab third door seal Reply with quote

Just a quick update on my never-ending search for the elusive 3rd door seal. I just joined a Facebook group called VW Baywindow Pickups that has about 1,500 members worldwide. I saw a discussion about a manufacturer in South Africa who was producing a seal. One of the FB members said they installed the seal and it fits well. Unless it is ridiculously expensive I'm going to play guinea pig and order one. It may be a waste of good money but I am happy to take one for the team. To be continued....
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Crew Cab third door seal Reply with quote

Wow -- that almost makes me want to join Facebook! Razz

If this works, please let us know. With my 4-door crew cab, I'll be looking for 2 new seals. Now I gotta think... are the left hand door seals different from the right-hand doors?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Crew Cab third door seal Reply with quote

Maybe one day I will actually get to my DC... but please do post your outcome as I would like to get one also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Crew Cab third door seal Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Wow -- that almost makes me want to join Facebook! Razz

Let me help you with that..... don't. I just stepped back after being on FB for several years. Too big of a time suck. Having said that, it was neat to find the Baywindow Pickup group.

Looks like the South American connection won't be panning out. They are selling a generic seal by the meter ($35 USD/meter) so it isn't a formed or 1 piece seal. Even though one of the FB members said they installed it with success, the profile isn't close. Even worse, they don't ship, so I would need to arrange pickup/delivery and deal with customs, all while navigating currency exchange and language barrier issues. No thanks.

However, this got me to reviewing things I had done in the past. Several years ago I traded emails with someone at Custom and Commercial about Vewib possibly making one. I reached back out to C&C this morning. Vewib isn't making one yet but C&C said they would if they had an original to use as a pattern, they just haven't been able to find one. The one I am running is in poor shape but could certainly be used for dimensions and profile. Does anyone have an original seal in decent shape (or ever a NOS one they are sitting on) that they are not currently using? C&C said they would return it and give me (you) a free one for letting them borrow one. If no one does, I will plan on sending mine to them in November when I put my truck in storage for the winter.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Crew Cab third door seal Reply with quote

I do have an original unused one, lined up for installation on my DC after paint, but I would be very reluctant to send it anywhere, much less overseas. Sad
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: