Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I got my 1973 VW Westfalia in May of 2015 I posted some pictures on Facebook of my restoration process and adventures this year and figured I would keep you all posted on here. To do that, I have to go back to when I first laid eyes on the bus. First, let's see what we were working with.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Those were the pictures of the 1973 VW Westfalia that I was interested in. However, as I was relocating back to Virginia from Arizona, it was the last one I found on my trip back. It happened to be in a town I was going through so I went and checked it out. It was love at first sight. I went to the nearest bank, got out the deposit the owner wanted for the bus and went back to my home, two hours away. The next weekend, I borrowed my dad's truck and trailer and we went down to go pick her up. (Her tires were dry rotted and she had a bad alternator) Also, someone came to look at it and left the door open and the bus in neutral. It rolled down a hill and the driver's side door caught on something and it bended it pretty bad. You can see in the picture of it trailered up. Off to get her back home, I was praying that the 1994 Chevy Silverado was able to tow her back.

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Somehow, we made it home. First things first, needed to get new tires. I decided to grind and sand out all of the rust of the original wheels.

I even solicited the help from my little brother and our dog Cooper.

A few hours later, the rust was pretty much gone. So I decided to paint them white to match the bus. First big issue tackled!

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Now that I had her sitting on four brand new tires and newish looking wheels, I needed to get her on the road. The issue keeping me from doing that was the alternator. I bought a brand new Bosch one online and waited for it to come in. While it was in transit, I read numerous postings on here. I shouldn't have, all they did was make me scared to even attempt to change mine. Just to reiterate, I have very little mechanical skill. I learned how to change my oil and do the basics on a car when I first started driving, the rest, well I was determined to learn as I went. Out with the old.

And . . .

In with the new! Of course, after a few expletives and almost an entire day!

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
scottrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Good on ya pal ,we all have to learn somehow ,good luck with the bus
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Thanks scottrs. Just when I thought things couldn't be more of a pain than the alternator, I decided to replace the pop top. This is definitely a two person job and at least for me, it taught me a valuable lesson in patience. However, this bus has been pounding it into me since I bought it.

Since the top was ripped, we just sliced the canvas so taking the roof off wasn't too bad but it was hot and we needed a break.

Let's just say taking it off was the easy part! After trying to do it after it got dark and failing miserably, we successfully got the new Bus Depot Canvas on and she was started to look like a new bus again!

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Finally, in July, I got her running. The bus was ready for the road and I couldn't even contain my excitement! The first drive was just a quick ten mile loop around town. But first, I had to gas her up for the first time.

After that, it was history. I fell in love. There is no way to describe how fun it is to drive one of these!

Ten short miles and numerous thumbs up and peace signs later and the Bus' first voyage came to a successful end.

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Outstanding, blue team leader...
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Four of us drove a friend's father's 73 weekender, all of us reprobates, according to the dad with a twinkle in his eye (why did he lend us that vehicle?) from Vancouver Island to Louisiana. Had to swap out the alternator on the side of the road in Fruita, Colorado after hitching into Grand Junction to buy a new one at the VW dealership. There was, as in your case, plenty of salty language - but we survived.

Enjoy your driving days ahead.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Welcome. Nice bus!

White wall tires make me nervous. What kind are they? Are they LT rated?
(sold - but not forgotten)
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

The Fez: From Vancouver to Louisiana!? I bet that was an incredible trip and the fact that you all changed the alternator on the side of the road is rather impressive!

BUSBOSS: The tires are Hankook OPTIMO H724 P205/75R14 95S WSW (AS) I have had no issues with them thus far!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

AirAssault2 wrote:

BUSBOSS: The tires are Hankook OPTIMO H724 P205/75R14 95S WSW (AS) I have had no issues with them thus far!

I would not run those shoes on my bus. Those are standard passenger car tires. Your "no issues thus far" comment is well placed.

Here is a little light reading to introduce you to the unique tire needs for our buses.

http://www.busdepot.com/details/tires/

I don't want to be a downer but IMHO you have a genuine safety issue on your hands. I'd replace those pronto. They are not designed to handle the load requirements. They are only passenger rated as 95 Load Index.

Last edited by BUSBOSS on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Yes, I'd get some tires from bus depot, but they won't have white walls. I think not wrecking your bus or having white walls, the former is the better option. Busdepot sells tires that are safe.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Of course, right after I drove her, and I am glad it happened while it was parked, I found that it was leaking brake fluid. Therefore, I changed the brake lines and slapped on new calipers.

Now she was able to stop on a dime, well, a very large one. I couldn't stop driving it, every weekend I could come back to work on it I had to pick between working or driving. Honestly, I was dying to take it on a longer drive. So, I fixed the fuses that blew out and luckily, the lights started working.

All except one of my brake lights. That I still haven't figured out. (Any suggestions? All bulbs and fuses were replaced) Well anyway, we went on a 100 mile loop to Meems Bottom Covered Bridge and the bus drove splendidly. I was able to document the voyage in a short video.
Link

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Well, glad I started doing this. I will get some new tires as soon as possible. I appreciate the insight!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

No problem.

I wouldn't delay this and if the purchase was recent, you might want to contact the Hankook regional rep for the location where you bought them. Perhaps they can credit you towards the purchase of the correct tires since you were sold the incorrect ones.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

AirAssault2 wrote:

All except one of my brake lights. That I still haven't figured out. (Any suggestions? All bulbs and fuses were replaced)

Clean all contacts well and check the ground.
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

As winter approached, I began to start working on the bus more and driving her less. I grinded out all of the rust, which luckily wasn't too much, in each of the wheel wells and then painted on some Por-15. I restored almost every surface underneath of the bus and froze in the process but it was worth it.

Then, I just randomly started replacing and fixing things with no rhyme or reason. I replaced the cracked turn signal lenses

Next, I replaced the destroyed wood back hatch panel

And put in some sound deadening and insulation back there. Then covered it up with a new panel.
!

I did all of these little random fixes because I was intimidated by what I really needed to start doing but had no knowledge of . . . Bodywork
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

just a fwiw--POR is suppose to be applied according to directions. If you applied it over paint you may find it peels off in sheets. I like your enthusiasm

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Pioneer1 thanks! I grinded the wheel wells down to bare metal then applied it so no worries there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: