Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Alas, it was time to start body work. I ordered several body panels for problem areas and decided to tackle one of the smaller areas first. In front of the rear driver's side wheel well was what I thought was a little problem. Turns out, It was paper packed into a hole and covered with bondo. . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not exactly what I thought would be underneath the gray primer covering the spot. I grinded out all of the rust, POR-15 the inside of it and cut out the area that I was going to place the new panel. I then welded for the first time in my life. The sticker said that the piece was for a different year but it wasn't when I conferred with whom I bought it from.

Which in turn led to an astronomical amount of grinding. After that, I repainted the area and was left with the final result.

I was ecstatic, though such a small area I felt like I accomplished so much. I actually liked doing body work. It was almost therapeutic, maybe because I was and am a beginner so I have low expectations. Either way, it was time to celebrate! My girlfriend and I decided to take the bus to go see a drive-in movie. The bus was a hit and it was a blast!

Last edited by AirAssault2 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Looking good! I found body work pretty therapeutic too, until the very final details of getting it 100% straight... Sanding sucks!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

I agree sanding is a pain however, it is teaching me patience, that's for sure!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

if you read on here about alternators, you cut down the long post on the new one, right?
where did you get the hella turn signal covers?
Lastly, you need more pictures of your girlfriend (she may be with the bus, if she prefers)
great job, looking good!
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Thanks, I got the turn signal lenses from here actually. Oh trust me, she will make more occurrences throughout this process!
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Next up, the driver's side door. If you have been reading from the beginning, it was damaged before I purchased it. Someone came to look at it and left it in neutral, when they did, they left the door open and it dented it up pretty bad. As seen in this picture:

I searched on here for months trying to find a decent door within driving distance from me and finally found one . . . In Charlotte, NC. So off I went. I got the door from the guy who also had a beautiful Splitty, I don't remember the year. After making it back with the "new" door I was dying to put it on. I changed the handle and the panel and it was time to take the old door off. That, well, that was not fun. All of the bolts where stripped. I ended up using a dremel to cut a line into the bolt and after a can of WD-40 and some luck, I got them out and the door off. Then I had to wait for new door bolts, which was depressing.

Putting the new door on was a breeze and man did it make her look better! She was coming along!
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

With the success of putting the new door on, it was time for another adventure. So me, my girlfriend, and a friend loaded up the bus and headed off to tube the Shenadoah River. It was a blast even though the water was muddied up with the rain we got shortly beforehand. The bus drove well and numerous peace signs, thumbs up, and waves were recieved on the ride over there. Man it makes me so happy! Anyway, check out the video I made if you wanna see it for your yourself.
Link
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Back to the body work. Next up, the rear valance, or rear apron. Mine was in pretty bad shape. Thinking this was such a straight and flat piece, I figured this would be a good second body problem area to tackle. It turned out pretty good, I was pretty impressed with my weekend garage warrior result.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

enjoyed reading your progress with the bus; looks good with the chrome bumpers!

Keep the updates coming Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Thanks MorkC68, means a lot! Will do!
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

As you can see in our tubing video while pumping up the tubes, the sliding door needs some work. It was pretty rusty on the bottom part, the extent of the damage was found after grinding out all the bondo the P.O. had on it.
After that was done, I cut out the problem area, cut the replacement and I welded in the new piece that I got from CIP1VW.
I'm still working on this whole welding thing and this was by far the biggest piece that I had to cut, size and weld. It turned out good as new(ish).
So much more to do! Man this bus is teaching me patience.
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I've been able to post on here. Ya know, life just kind of interrupts things every now and then. Anyway's at this point in this page, we are in the fall. I just put on a new passenger side dog leg and decided why not take the bus on a trip to the mountains for a few days of cruising, camping and hiking. I brought along the dog and the girlfriend.

We decided to make a little video documenting the trip. You should check it out!

Link
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

AirAssault2 wrote:

Link

Note, when displaying the flag vertically, the blue field w/ stars should be on the left.

Nice work on the rust repair. Body work has always seemed like a dark art to me. Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

This might be a bit late but POR15 doesn't adhere well to bare metal either, it prefers a rough, rusty surface. They suggest their bare metal surface conditioner which is suspiciously similar to Ospho.

Glad to see you enjoying the Bus while working on it too, kinda rolling-resto sorta thing.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Oh, ok. That is good to know. I have almost always put it on bare metal without even giving it much fault. Thanks so much TDCTDI!
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Luckily lately, I have had some more time to get back to doing some work on the bus. I have been juggling this balance of working on it and playing with it and it has been a lot easier to play. Anyways, I was able to finally fix the front passenger dog leg. Luckily, it only needed the front portion replaced. This was my first experience fixing a dog leg and it was good practice for the driver's side dog leg, it will need a complete replacement.

I cut out the old one where the rust was and welded a new one in. I am incredibly happy with how it turned out!

AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

It was about time that we found some forest service roads and drove till we found a spot in the George Washington National Forest that looked good to us. We camped and hiked and it was joyous! Here are a few pictures from the trip. Back to the garage for more body work!

AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Right above the driver's side rear wheel was another problem spot. Luckily, it was a spot I was able to tackle in less than a day. I'm excited about the incredibly slow progress I am making. Progress is progress though, so I'll take it!

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Subscribing

I like your bus and attitude. Impressive body work too!

Is it me or is that passenger side dogleg a little pointy? Maybe it's the angle.

Keep up the good work.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Westfalia build in 2015, 2016 and beyond! Reply with quote

Your undying enthusiasm in the face of intimidating problems without practical experience helps make you a reliable person, as well as a trustworthy custodian of another VW bus that could have met the crusher instead.

Now I'm going to be a dick... cuz that's one thing I'm good at. Razz

If you value the future of your bus, your health and the lives of those around you, you will find properly weight-rated tires that will not blow out on you when you suddenly have to make a fast evasive manuever.

Think: fully loaded camper enroute with friiends and loved ones. Deer in the road as you hit that 40 mph curve and suddenly see it. You swerve to miss it. The combined weight of the bus on that automobile rated tire. The sudden swerve loads unusual weight onto that tire as the bus shifts into your swerve. Tire blows out and you hit he shoulder. Then the rocks. Then the tree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: