Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anything special about caliper bolts?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Anything special about caliper bolts? Reply with quote

I'm piecing together a disc brake conversion and don't have the bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle. Anything special, besides strong grade metric bolts?
All stock parts.
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything special about caliper bolts? Reply with quote

Mild steel, BZP >10.9. Not Stainless.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything special about caliper bolts? Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
I'm piecing together a disc brake conversion and don't have the bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle. Anything special, besides strong grade metric bolts?
All stock parts.
Thanks

Nothing super special. The surface treatment is up to you...but I avoid yellow Zinc and CAD plated for the bolts and pins on brakes.

Even though "most" zinc and cad treatments protect against corrosion, there have been numerous issues ...most specifically a large recall from GM years back because certain types of cad plate reacted with salt brine and heat from the brakes...in a galvanic fashion (more specifically as a sympathetic cathode) and caused excessively fast corrosion....causing bolts to be unremoveable without twisting them off.

Use class 10.9 minimum. Class 12.9 if you can get them. I look for the black phosphate coated ones and use a very small amount of anti-seize on them...very then coat brushed on and then wiped of to just even "color" the threads.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anything special about caliper bolts? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anything special about caliper bolts? Reply with quote

I bought some original bolts for the 944 calipers on my bus.
I also thought they would be a high grade bollt but they are 8.8 only!

Henk!!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anything special about caliper bolts? Reply with quote

henk wrote:
I bought some original bolts for the 944 calipers on my bus.
I also thought they would be a high grade bollt but they are 8.8 only!

Henk!!!

Some were class 8.8.....and is also why most of the texts recommend replacing the caliper bolts at each rebuild. Its why the better caliper kits come with new bolts and new locking plates.

I say most......because many of the caliper kits come with class 10.9 boltw and a few of the parts lists show class 10.9 bolts.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: