Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing owners in Sacramento (CA) Area?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing owners in Sacramento (CA) Area? Reply with quote

That's what I've been thinking...that it's (the short helical spring) redundant. Likely made to work as part of a throttle positioner/dashpot type set-up. For some strange reason I have this inexplicable compulsion to remove it, if it isn't presently serving a purpose. Ah well...will probably leave it there, even if it's not doing anything.

I've tried to find some sort of SOLEX 34PICT-3 'exploded view' diagram that shows it (that little spring) and explains its purpose, but the only diagrams I can find (including those in the Bentley book) do not show it. Likely a 'California' model gizmo. [Ironically, although born in this state, 'Californica' is definitely showing signs of rapidly going to hell in a hand basket. Since the rest of the industrial world seems mindlessly bent on totally destroying the world anyway (environmentally, et al), I often wonder what's the use of our draconian PC obsession with cleaning everything up, since that will just delay or prolong the inevitable. Sigh! Humanity! Ya gotta love it!] d'oh!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing owners in Sacramento (CA) Area? Reply with quote

This thread is almost dead, but I thought I'd answer my own question here, in the event anyone else poses a similar question in future. The question was "What's that small helical coil spring on the left side throttle shaft of the 34 PICT-3 carb?"

The answer is that it's part of the so-called 'dash-pot' assembly (as I had suspected) that was used on some models (like the Ghia). The dash-pot itself is often removed, since it isn't needed or used on older (pre '74) V-Dubs, but that little helical spring is typically not (removed). Thus, one will periodically run into 34 PICT-3 carbs with that little spring in place, despite the fact that it is essentially functionless when the dash-pot actuator is removed.

Interesting discovery, but one that makes our mutual passion with Käfers (& related types) endlessly interesting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: