Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The best replacement side view mirrors thread
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Guy,
Please help me find the best quality left and right side view mirrors I can get. If I could buy NOS I probably would but I know there are many cheap ones on the market that I'm not interested in. TIA
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

If you remember DaleNW. He did his restoration and used Wolfsburg West. Seemed happy. That guy is meticulous. That's all I can offer.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Pretty hard these days to find 'Hagus' mirrors. OEM

J-bugs and others sell the OE replacement from 'KMM' Germany
and then there are WW that are also good quality Stainless Steel as well as
West Coast Metrics.

I have never been a fan of the mirrors with the white plastic trim around the glass. Also, maybe Call Cip-1 and ask what brand there mirrors are.

black watch wishes you a Happy New Years Gary Applause
& so do I
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I am sure this is not what you really are looking for, but when I bought my first Transporter it had autopart mirrors, maybe something like 4x6 ones, that had been mounted to the T2 arms by drilling a hole in the nub on the end of the arms. They worked really great, but the bolt sticking out the from was unsightly. At some point I replaced them with OEM mirrors from a wrecking yard but still feel they were a viable option.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I got a new driver's side (left) mirror from Wolfsburg West a few months ago. Very good quality and I'm completely satisfied with it. It's not an exact match to the passenger side now, so will probably buy another for the right side soon. '68 Westy
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

ww Gary. Their stainless ones are very close to original. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/mirrors/68_79_bus_mirror.cfm
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

For the folks with the WW mirrors, when you adjust them and then tighten them up, do they still move occasionally where you have to reposition them again? My originals need to go away as they are doing that and the plastic is falling out around the glass.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I've got a set of the stainless ones from Bus Depot on the '73. They seem good, have been there a couple years now.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Look like WW is the place.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

They arent OEM style but they sure do work well.

https://www.busdepot.com/12180

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I found one NOS through the help of a friend. Still on the hunt though. I've just seen too many crappy aftermarket mirrors and want good ones for my bus.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Email this gal in France she'll get you an NOS one:

http://www.aircooled-museum.com/type2bay-window-1968---1979.php

I've bought from her before.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
For the folks with the WW mirrors, when you adjust them and then tighten them up, do they still move occasionally where you have to reposition them again? My originals need to go away as they are doing that and the plastic is falling out around the glass.

I am devoted to using the original mirrors until I am dead.

When the plastic surrounds started crumbling on NaranjaWesty and allowing the glass to get loose, I used a discrete bead of Permatex Ultrablack around the perimeter of the glass.
Looks good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the BobD, I used clear silicone rtv to block the deterioration of the original-but-cracking plastic, and it appears to be holding at the 7 year point.

Chloe has the early style mirror with no plastic surround.

To keep the mirror from loosening by itself between the arm and the mirror, always rotate clockwise as you look at the glass to adjust the pivot position. The 14mm nut that holds the fore-aft position of the arm needs a good lubrication of the threads and really wants that compression spring with the hex washer keyed to the arm. That allows you to have proper breakaway when you bash a pedestrian, but still maintain your painfully-arrived-upon perfect adjustment even with oncoming truck/windy day hurricane blasts.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Okay, I emailed her. Thanks
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Colin, how did you make such a clean bead around the mirror? I've got a few OEM to experiment with.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Colin, how did you make such a clean bead around the mirror? I've got a few OEM to experiment with.

Which mirror?

The BobD clear silicone just used the oem surface with the rtv filling the crack spaces.

NaranjaWesty's black bead is not the prettiest damn thing, but it is black, so you can't tell as much. I just did a 3/8" bead, followed it with a finger to beat it down to a nice sort of bevel, then used a razor blade the next morning to trim it. It is pretty easy, and I will be interested to see how you do.
Colin
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

I have learned when using silicone to mount the mirrored glass in the frame to leave a small space at the bottom for water to drain out. Water can get in through the mounting swivel and will accumulate in the bottom of the housing if there is no provision for it to drain.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

A vafer tin mint washer goes between the base of the mirror and your Bus.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

gary,

VERY happy with the WW mirrors, but I reused the part that screws into the door itself, and the jamb nut from a OE mirror. new seal and not an issue...even at 100+ mph

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The best replacement side view mirrors thread Reply with quote

FWIW the factory mirrors used to start showing discoloration at about 5 years back on my 1971. This WW set on my 1977 are 9 years old and look new.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: