Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dub Werks Broken Into
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Sometime between Friday December 23 and December 27, 2016 someone broke into the shop. They stole a 61 Sunroof body that we had painted Porsche Guards Red and Viper White on a 7 x 16 trailer. Two rebuilt transaxles, an 002 Bus and a Type III long axle. A SCAT 1915 long block, new set of 40mm Kadron carbs, a bunch of new engine sheet metal. 4 new Sprint Stars with new 165/15 tires mounted and balanced. Complete 1970 Type II Tan interior panels from West Coast Metric. Complete interior panels in Tan, white headliner, complete door kits, Oatmeal carpet kit, Cal Look window rubber kit, new front and rear bumpers, new dashboard, Tan front and rear seat covers. All of it was for a 71 Super Beetle. A 1600 complete dual port engine on an engine stand. A 1600 complete single port engine that was on a new Napa floor jack. A new set of 85.5 pistons and cylinders. A rebuilt set of single port heads. A nice set of Dellorto 36 carbs. A Berg shifter for a Beetle. An original EMPI Eliminator shifter. A Snap On 18 volt drill. A Judson Supercharger for a 40 horse all rebuilt. A 1800 Type IV long block with a flex plate for and automatic.VDO oil pressure and temp gauges, fuel gauge, clock, speedometer, and tachometer all new. If anyone has any information PLEASE call me at 928-848-7915. They also got a Taurus Millennium PT111 Pro 9mm handgun and my business checks and credit card out of my desk. Thank you!

Last edited by Dubwerks on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Broken Into Reply with quote

Thieves are number two on my dislike list. I hope you have positive results and good assistance from your local PD.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Thanks Martin. Yep, thieves don't sit well with me either. I am a very strong believer in Karma! We will hopefully be able to recover some or all of the stuff taken. They really screwed up my automatic bay door as I can't open it to get cars in or out of the shop. Just hope we can recover.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

any former/bitter/recently fired employees? totally sounds like an inside job to me.

I assume no cameras....

I have had 2 state cops and 1 local cop tell me they actually investigate this stuff when a gun has been stolen. hopefully you have the SN of the gun.

sucks....I hope you find the assholes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

That sucks!!

Hopefully your gun doesn't get used in a violent crime.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like someone knew what was where, that's not a list of stuff that the common crack heads would snatch.
I hope the authorities catch them because you would go to jail if you did what desperately needs to be done to those who did it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

That's too bad. I hope they don't do anything with that gun.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

That really sucks ! I think it actually sucks more in a small town, we like to think that small towns are safer. Or are you in Camp Verde now?

Keep checking Prescott, Phoenix, Flagstaff Craigslists.

I am in Phoenix and Chino Valley, remember a VW shop a few years ago in Mayer on Highway 69 - was that you, and you moved to Camp Verde? I've only stopped once in Mayer, to visit "The 70s Store" (owner was really nice, I photographed my VW in front of her store).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dubwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

No, that was not me in Mayer. The shop in Mayer was owned by a former employee that came to work for me after he closed up his shop. I don't believe that he had anything to do with it as he hasn't worked for me for over a year. I've been in the Verde Valley for the last eight years, and have been in this shop in Camp Verde for the last four years. I worked for the original KARL's Custom and Wedge VW before going out on my own. I've got the word out and have been on all the different sites daily. About a month ago someone cut the chain and lock to the gate. Nothing was taken. I believe that it's the same people as the back door into the shop is a steel door that is locked and pinned from the inside. I replaced the lock and chain immediately. I believe they came back and forced open the two front doors to get in. They really screwed up my roll up door also. Let's hope the Camp Verde Marshall's will find the people and the stuff taken.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Sucks for sure. I knew of a shop in Clarkdale, never knew of one in Camp Verde. Had to be someone whom knows VW's and what you had in the shop for sure. Wish we had something here in the White Mountain region.
Hopefully you may have an opportunity to get some sorta video from someone.
Moscato has some fine Italian food for sure in Camp Verde.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Dubwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Well Gordon, it's the same shop that did the work on your Beetle. I moved to Camp Verde as I needed a bigger shop. This is J.D. I get a lot of people coming by the shop. A lot want to look at the cars or take pictures. Some just want to talk about owning themselves or someone they knew that owned VW's. You never know who or what is going to come in from day to day. I know I'll be a little more cautious from now on. Hopefully I can recover from this as I'm a one man shop. Time will tell. I'll just keep my chin up and push onward.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Terrible news buddy...I hope you're able to recover and get some of your things back.

I wish people weren't so shitty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Terrible news buddy...I hope you're able to recover and get some of your things back.

I wish people weren't so shitty.

That's for sure.

Dubwerks wrote:
I worked for the original KARL's Custom and Wedge VW before going out on my own.

I was Tim's very first employee at Tim Ransom Import Automotive in Phoenix in 1971 (it was called Tim's Auto Repair back then); 85% of his business then was building and installing rebuilt engines into VWs, all from a small newspaper ad in the classifieds. I did most of the engine pulls, stripping of the engines to long blocks, then bolting on all the accessories, then installing the engines. I'd drive the cases, cranks, rods, and heads to Valley Engine Service at Central & Clarendon to get machined for the next day's build.

Tim did all the intricate work like the engine building.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

I had no idea Mr. Cusser your extensive VW experience with the engine.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I had no idea Mr. Cusser your extensive VW experience with the engine.

Hey, I got paid $50 a week from Tim Ransom in 1971; typically M-F but occasional Saturday mornings. Tim was great to learn from; I was in college and he was only a few years older than me.

I not only got hands-on VW experience (had never even removed a spark plug before, on any engine), got enough confidence to branch out into fixing a zillion things on my homes and vehicles.

So by 1974 I was able to get a VW mechanic job at a VW/dune buggy rental agency in Scottsdale (wish I still had their poster, it was called Sun Buggy Rentals at 4208 N. Scottsdale Rd); they had about 65 vehicles to fix and maintain, including road calls if something went haywire, and branch locations in Payson & Prescott, so sometimes had to go there to do service work.

So I'm a jack-off of all trades !!!
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Bump

I lived in Cottonwood - Cornville - Flagstaff - Sedona.

You were targeted by someone that had to take their time.

They may have made more than one trip.

Are there any cameras on roads going in & out of access roads
to your business owned by private companies or municipalities ?

Take a good look - they may have captured the thieves on camera.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

oh man, JD.
this is really shitty, i am so sorry!

take a step back and think about who could have done this and who would have the connections to move (fence) this amount of stuff.
the cops will be zero help, you will need to do the leg work and find out who is responsible.
take the advice of the previous poster and see if you can get any security footage from surrounding businesses.
i don't know the area, but talk to everyone nearby who could have seen or heard anything.
contact every club and facebook group within a 500 mile radius.
the VW world is a small one and some of your stuff WILL surface somewhere.
i will keep my eyes and ears open.
good luck, man.

--Pete
Dubwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. The ACE Hardware across the street from the shop just had security cameras installed but unfortunately the ones that would have faced towards the shop weren't operational at the time of the break in. I've contacted everyone I can think of either by phone, private message, and in person. The word is out, And I'm a strong believer in Karma. You are exactly right about our community, it's very tight knit.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

Still hoping for ya too man. I know what that shits like. Used to work in a small dub shop that got hit... We would take turns camping out inside of it some nights.

My co worker was there one night and caught guys breaking in... He popped a few shots as they were prying their way in... After that, no more issues.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dub Werks Broken Into Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:

My co worker was there one night and caught guys breaking in... He popped a few shots as they were prying their way in... After that, no more issues.

Should have waited just a bit. :snipersmile:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: