Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bitchin' Rides bus restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Auctions: the only place where you haggle the price UP...ridiculous.

Sig worthy right there! Laughing
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Soon part a fool and his money! Stupid!!
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Congrats on the big numbers to a high quality builder.! It's was so nice to see a VW sell for Corvette prices . I get so tired of seeing vette Shelby vette at this price. Why not, Vw's are cool and deserve respect too. Now can we raise the price for projects and start installing skylights and sunroofs with no fear off criticism About time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

AirCooledClassics wrote:
Congrats on the big numbers to a high quality builder.! It's was so nice to see a VW sell for Corvette prices . I get so tired of seeing vette Shelby vette at this price. Why not, Vw's are cool and deserve respect too. Now can we raise the price for projects and start installing skylights and sunroofs with no fear off criticism About time!

You forgot the sarcastic smiley. Laughing
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

AirCooledClassics wrote:

People were paying for the name as well as the bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

I feel pretty smart building my clone 23 now that I know a clone is worth more than an original 21 or 23. Very Happy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

I'm all for getting props were they are deserved, and if the shop did the level of work to command the price, they still may be upside down in one/both of the projects.

The world of auctions is a very finicky/arrogant atmosphere. Bob Cook had a perfect 52 Beetle up for auction with one of the better European houses, Gooding, and it brought $63k. Considering at the time, there were much lesser cars being advertised here in the classifieds for $75k, and $90k, IMO Bobs car should have past $100k.

A local shop had a "bubble top" GM vehicle that was at a BJ auction quite a few years back. It was a custom pro-touring type vehicle with modern chassis/drivetrain/amenities. Easily a 6 figure vehicle. Tony Stewart was one of two seriously interested parties bidding on it. At one point, Tony's competition got within 6 inches of his face and told him "boy, you don't have enough money to own this car today". So Tony inflated the bid, if I recall to about $360k, then dropped it on the guy.

It's great this shop got what they did for their efforts, but this just adds gasoline to the fire of idiots everywhere now thinking their pre-81 VW Bus with the bottom 6 inches missing is now worth $30k.

And for those thinking their clones are now worth more from this simple one auction result, you need to get a grip. Auction houses, and publications keeping track of trends have NEVER had clones valued more than their original documented counter parts. Besides, with suspension/wheel modifications, and an upgraded drivetrain, this isn't a "clone" of anything, it's a "restomod". Thinking your 21/23 clones are now worth more is like considering a street rod made from a Model A is a clone worth more than the original Model A. Originallity "chalk markers" will always value originality over recreation. Look at the mountain made out of a mole hill in the Feb. Hot VW's. It was so important to include a birth certificate showing the black Split Beetle was an original rag top car, but had no significance since it wasn't the original color/drivetrain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

And for those thinking their clones are now worth more from this simple one auction result, you need to get a grip. Auction houses, and publications keeping track of trends have NEVER had clones valued more than their original documented counter parts. Besides, with suspension/wheel modifications, and an upgraded drivetrain, this isn't a "clone" of anything, it's a "restomod". Thinking your 21/23 clones are now worth more is like considering a street rod made from a Model A is a clone worth more than the original Model A. Originallity "chalk markers" will always value originality over recreation. Look at the mountain made out of a mole hill in the Feb. Hot VW's. It was so important to include a birth certificate showing the black Split Beetle was an original rag top car, but had no significance since it wasn't the original color/drivetrain.

As far as we know the highest selling price for a VW bus in history was a clone 21, fact? So clearly we all must seriously believe a clone is worth more.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

As far as we know the highest selling price for a VW bus in history was a clone 21, fact? So clearly we all must seriously believe a clone is worth more.

The fact is, the highest selling price so far for a 21 Window Bus was for a Bus that had the windows added, and they were not installed from the factory. As far as being a clone, clone of what? Any description I have come across in reference to an auction sale of a clone was a recreation of an ORIGINAL vehicle with non original/non numbers matching components. Like putting a 427 in a 6 cylinder Camaro to clone a COPO, or putting a Hemi in a 318 Chrysler vehicle. This $300k Bus is not a clone of anything, it has been customized/retrofitted with modern components. What's to say the two bidders were fighting over it, or the show it was on gained it some popularity. Jerry Sienfeld's original 60 Beetle with 15,500 miles on it sold for $122k. Does that mean all low milage 60's Beetles are worth $122k? NO! Did Jerry Sienfeld owning it have anything to do with it....? When factory appearing/functioning Busses that have had windows added to make the 21/23 window models start outselling non-modified originals in more than one sale, then maybe you can feel your desicion to add windows is acceptable.

This is still the top sale benchmark of a VW Bus as far as I'm concerned. And since nothing has come within $40k-$50k since, it most likely was a fluke like this $300k Bus.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1963-VOLKSWAGEN-23-WINDOW-BUS-109474
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Just admit it, clones are the best, come on, you will feel better. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
truelinebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

The old guy that ended up with it was more than likely bidding against a Velocity rep for the last 100k or so, its a win win for Velocity to see it go high. If they (Velocity) would have got stuck with it at big money they would have just charity auctioned it at the next Barrett event. I did not see any other bidder in the house after it reached crazy Money (over 150K).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

truelinebob wrote:
The old guy that ended up with it was more than likely bidding against a Velocity rep for the last 100k or so, its a win win for Velocity to see it go high. If they (Velocity) would have got stuck with it at big money they would have just charity auctioned it at the next Barrett event. I did not see any other bidder in the house after it reached crazy Money (over 150K).

Good point, they never did show the other bidder, just the one old guy with the bidders assistant who screamed like a girl with every bid. Most other lots went to split screens showing 2 or 3 of the serious players as they bid, hmmm........ Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
truelinebob wrote:

Good point, they never did show the other bidder, just the one old guy with the bidders assistant who screamed like a girl with every bid. Most other lots went to split screens showing 2 or 3 of the serious players as they bid, hmmm........ Confused

Online live feed bidders.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
truelinebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Yes there are phone bidders and internet bidders but i know the bids get run up for sometimes they have to back them back down do close the deal on someone. I just think its a win win for Velocity so i thought he could have been a victim of bid run up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdadaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Jeeez...Tough crowd. I like it, especially the interior!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

cdadaa wrote:
Jeeez...Tough crowd. I like it, especially the interior!

Me too. It's a nice bus for a Saterday night cruiser and ocxasional car show. I do like the interior.

275k+ no f-ing way. Trippin'

I did hear this guy has oil pipeline interests and was ready to bid a lot higher. He wanted that bus, and there was no way anyone present was going to outbid him. Take that as you will.

I still say a fool and his money go sideways real quick. I think most of us could build a better one for that money. Whatevs. Shouldn't dictate market value

Similar is the SuperBowl this year. Packers should have beat the dirty birds. But they didn't. The Falcons are going to the SuperBowl. This is why you actually play the game instead of just talking about the game.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

And as someone a little wiser than me often brings up :

“Past performance does not guarantee future results.”

I think we would all be foolish if we thought that this was the new norm. At the same time, the bubble hasn't burst, and anyone holding off waiting for it to burst has waited in vain.

Sadly, I will probably never afford a nice split bus again. Sucks remembering the $1k dry buses. They are out there to be discovered but they will mostly be overpriced now

We made them so cool they were irresistible. We truly jumped the shark
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Does anyone over the age of 12 still use the adjective "bitchin'" in any context other than sarcasm or parody?
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Bluemanx212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

I see the price of a cool bus keeps going up glad I owned and fixed mine up when I did. Long gone now 58 mango green 11window lowered hated the color then painted it the color of the time enjoyed it finnally sold it went through some other owners and was stolen and set on fire and that was that! Great experience not too worried about reapeating it for 300k!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
... It's a nice bus for a Saterday night cruiser and ocxasional car show. I do like the interior.

275k+ no f-ing way. Trippin'

I did hear this guy has oil pipeline interests and was ready to bid a lot higher. He wanted that bus, and there was no way anyone present was going to outbid him. Take that as you will.

I still say a fool and his money go sideways real quick. I think most of us could build a better one for that money. Whatevs. Shouldn't dictate market value

Similar is the SuperBowl this year. Packers should have beat the dirty birds. But they didn't. The Falcons are going to the SuperBowl. This is why you actually play the game instead of just talking about the game.

i like the bus okay.
Just everybody remember at an auction you have to have at least 2 bidders to get to those kinds of prices. somebody else bid 274k before 275k got the nod.

greetings from atlanta

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: