Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Ever seen this kind of damage? A split ball, cracked cage, and pits everywhere!
Here are photos of the clacking joint. Beware these photos will give you nightmares if your CV's make noise. Wink

We just got back from a long road trip with the van. About 300 miles from home I noticed a CV joint clicking when leaving after being camped in below freezing temperatures. Once back on the highway, I never heard it again.

Last weekend I went to Southern Utah and did some off roading. I heard the clacking again and knew it was time to service the joints and find the failing joint. I did feel a vibration when accelerating in any gear and it was progressively getting worse. When I got off the highway and turned a corner towards home the van really started surging when accelerating. I was happy to be within a mile from the barn, residential speed, or would have stopped driving it any further. Yes, it was that bad!

I had replaced the joints in 2014 and polished all but one of them. This was a different CV GKN joint than the others and the surfaces were already smoother than the "Three Ringed" Lobro GKN joints that I try to purchase. All the polished joints still looked good except one. I will post the updates in my previous thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...;start=140

The last time these were serviced was about 25k miles ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a Failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

So...Subaru <vs> Lobro...Subaru wins, I guess...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a Failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Similar Lobro vs Suby experience with heavily loaded and torquey 2.5. Switched to 944 joints and some expensive grease that T3 Techniques recommended and havent heard a peep.....or crunch
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a Failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

I've been running a Subie 2.5 for over 100,000 miles and have had no CV failures. I am stock height. Are yours lifted at all?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a Failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

With brand new 944s in my TDI Vanagon, I had whacking issues in less than 6k miles.

I removed both axles in a campground at Dawson City, Yukon to inspect. I found all four with somewhat caked dry grease with one really bad (most likely the one that was whacking). I had used the grease that come with the CV Boot kit (purchased separately from the CV Joints). It was graphite grease.

I re-greased them with NAPA brand graphite grease... no more whacking. But, the one that was loud did seem to be loose when I inspected them a year later for another long trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a Failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Well, now that you mention it...

I replaced all 4 rear CVs with Lobros at the end of 2015. After about 10,000 miles, I noticed a pulsing through the gas pedal upon acceleration, particularly when turning and accelerating. I noticed that my inner passenger side CV boot was already torn. When I took that CV joint apart, lo and behold one entire ball had self destructed. The rest of the joint surfaces and balls didn't look horrible. I checked the other joints and they all looked fine. I replaced it with a new Lobro and new boots all around, no problems since (knock on wood).

All were the standard "three ringed" Lobro joints that you mention in your post.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Wow! So, I think you boys with the lifts should all be doing accelerated CV repack schedules. I know a thing or two about various powertrain joints and there seems to be a bit of a "lore" here that X inches of lift is OK. Operating angle is as destructive as added weight which is as destructive as added power which is as destructive as poor CV maintenance. I think things will go better if the extreme angle joints always have fresh grease. Might require a bit of a crazy often schedule if you have several of these factors in play.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a Failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Similar Lobro vs Suby experience with heavily loaded and torquey 2.5. Switched to 944 joints and some expensive grease that T3 Techniques recommended and havent heard a peep.....or crunch

newfisher, how many tubes do I need to get for all 4 front cv's? i just got a set of burley axles. Thx

http://www.t3technique.com/suspension-and-drivetra...rease.html
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Those CVs were running locked at end of range. Something in the axle geometry is not right. Are you lifted or suspension modded?
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow! So, I think you boys with the lifts should all be doing accelerated CV repack schedules. I know a thing or two about various powertrain joints and there seems to be a bit of a "lore" here that X inches of lift is OK. Operating angle is as destructive as added weight which is as destructive as added power which is as destructive as poor CV maintenance. I think things will go better if the extreme angle joints always have fresh grease. Might require a bit of a crazy often schedule if you have several of these factors in play.

Going to 930 style CV joints gives you increased angularity for a lifted van. I still think the Bel Ray brand grease is some of the best avalible and prepping/polishing the joints goes a long way in insuring they give a long service life.
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

And, keep in mind, the OPs CV Joint could have been the first one made on Monday morning by a dude that partied all weekend... just a bad CV Joint right out of the box. Or, just the one Ball Bearing could have failed placing stress on the others along with the metal debris...

Also, besides raised vehicles, in the conversions (Subbie, TDI, etc.) if the motor mounts are not centered, it will change the angle of the CV Joints as well as reduce the in and out range of the axle. And, if the engine is not level, the angle of the CV Joints will be changed.

But, having said that, you would think there is some leeway for engine torque, even with the weaker WBXer engine!
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Those CVs were running locked at end of range. Something in the axle geometry is not right. Are you lifted or suspension modded?

Yep..locked at the angle limit..damaged balls and races..doom. Abscate is correct something is wrong or you must stop off-roading.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a Failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
newfisher wrote:

newfisher, how many tubes do I need to get for all 4 front cv's? i just got a set of burley axles. Thx

http://www.t3technique.com/suspension-and-drivetra...rease.html

2 tubes. Send Chris a message regarding the $$$ grease for the 944s. Its the only stuff he runs, but offers other brands for those not willing to spend.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Yep..locked at the angle limit..damaged balls and races..doom. Abscate is correct something is wrong or you must stop off-roading.

This is an interesting point.

But doesn't a normally lifted van just change the steady-state operating position of the balls? There are ideal locations for the balls to run for many miles, on the highway etc. And there are non-ideal locations for the balls, for short term (driving on uneven ground, etc).

However, if modifications to max suspension extension (droop) put the CV angles beyond its allowable range of motion, I can imagine it binding up if the cextreme condition makes the joint go beyond its max, breaking a ball or the cage. And that's BIG trouble. So MY question to SJ is, does your van have longer shocks or any other mods that increase the 'droop' beyond OEM?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

"" So MY question to SJ is, does your van have longer shocks or any other mods that increase the 'droop' beyond OEM? ""

This^^^^
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Hey SJ..... is this a clue?

I would expect to see the main "wear area" to be at the same level. It looks like that 'component' which should float to a neutral position was running at a strange angle continually. Do any other joints have this off-angle wear pattern? It could be manufactured defective.

Could be photo parallax, but just trying to help!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

I am running Old Man Emu shocks. The cv joint on the same half shaft did not have any signs of running at its limit like this one. I will also note that this joint still had plenty of creamy grease and was not dry. My fender lip to axle is 19.25" when the van is unloaded. I'm not sure if this joint was just defective because the other three show none of these signs of being at the end of their limits. I would expect a cage to fail before a ball bearing.

I am replacing all the joints in the rear at this time with the Lobro joints that have the 3 rings on the boot side.
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

But doesn't a normally lifted van just change the steady-state operating position of the balls? There are ideal locations for the balls to run for many miles, on the highway etc. And there are non-ideal locations for the balls, for short term (driving on uneven ground, etc).

I don't think that this steady-state operating position of balls is correct. With CV angle of zero, the ball rides in the middle of the grooves in the inner race and outer housing as the wheel spins. As the CV angle increases, each ball travels a greater distance with each rotation of the joint. The travel is always centered around the middle of the groove. At maximum angle, the ball travels from one maximum of the groove to the other and back with each rotation.

So, in a lifted van driving down the highway, the CV joint balls are moving a greater distance with each wheel rotation than in a non-lifted van.

Sodo wrote:
Hey SJ..... is this a clue?

I would expect to see the main "wear area" to be at the same level. It looks like that 'component' which should float to a neutral position was running at a strange angle continually. Do any other joints have this off-angle wear pattern? It could be manufactured defective.

I'm missing what you wear you are talking about here. Can you clarify? The lines you have drawn would be from the cage contacting the housing and causing wear.
Edit: Ah ha... I looked again and see what you are getting at. Good observation. The pitting is occurring in all of the groves at a fixed CV position. i.e. at a certain position in the rotation. Could it be seeing more load in one spot in the tire rotation? or is the par for the course as one groove starts to wear in one spot causing the CV to stick at that spot, the others see a greater load there and start to wear at that point in the wheel rotation?

Interesting topic and discussion!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Seems like the wear area should be at wherever the ball spends most of it's time and at max force. And there should be consistency.

I can't see the real part, just have a pic. Maybe it is consistent around the part.

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever seen a CV failure like this? OUCH! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Seems like the wear area should be at wherever the ball spends most of it's time and at max force. And there should be consistency.

I can't see the real part, just have a pic. Maybe it is consistent around the part.

Sodo,

Only the one ball track failure was at the bottom, all the rest were mostly centered. I am still not sure why this joint failed and the ball split. I did have it on slick rock this past weekend, possibly it was a manufacturing error?

Here is the other CV joint that was on the opposite end of the same half shaft. It looks great for being on (2)two years and about 35k miles. The star was surprisingly smooth. But since I have new, I am replacing all (4)four now. The joints on the other side half shaft looked this good too. Very Happy I have some good spares, but no longer haul many extra parts. (weight). Wink

Note the differences in ball size between the two different GKN joints. Shocked

Photos:

Here is the good joint on the opposite end of the same half shaft. I believe the different wear marks are from when I am was heavily loaded for a year, and when I reduced the weight. ?? Not sure. Rolling Eyes

Link

Link

EDIT: I thought I would add where I spent the last weekend of the year with the Syncro. And coming home was when the failure occurred. I don't spend all my time repairing the van. Wink

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: