Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears Circling the Drain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

I worked for Sears, must have been the early 80's. I worked at one of the repair centers as a shipping and receiving clerk. I think I lasted 9 months or so before I quit. Everyone in that place was a lifer. I was about 19 or 20 and everyone else was 45-70 yrs old. Best thing was they let me park my ghia right at the shipping and receiving door, everyone else was out in the lot. Sadly with 9 months served, I did not earn a pension. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
ach60 wrote:
Sears never held any luster for me.
I always view Sears as part of American Rip Off Culture.
A buddy bought a bike from sears back when we were kids,
Pulled it out of the box, aired up the tires and both blew out!
I’ve bought a lot of Craftsman tools in the 70’s & 80’s
But I was surprised to read that one of Sears biggest cost is paying Pensions.
People rally did spend their Careers working for Sears? Holy Cannoli
I found this from CNN:
Turns out Sears was once the nation's largest employer, has an estimated 100,000 retirees still eligible for benefits under the pension plans.
By comparison, the company had only 89,000 employees as of February, and many of them have since left the company because of store closing.
So basically the Bankruptcy is B.S. move Sears Owners to rip off it’s Retirees Pensions
American Rip Off Culture.at it’s Best.

My mom is one of those retirees. If she loses the pension, then we have to start digging into the savings in order to pay for her assisted living place. This is when the shit gets real and hits home.

I worked for Sears through college and about a year after. Good pay at the time.

I don't really know much about this but can it be converted into an IRA?

Something to research...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

No it can’t if they are lucky it might get rolled into PBGC but as you know they are severely underfunded now because of employers unable to keep promises.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Real Estate Bankers & Brokers want Sears to Close now.
Logic is the property at some locations are prime for development,
and Sears continuing operating cost are basically just pissing good money down the drain,
that could've been used to pay off creditors including pension liabilities.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-sears-bankruptcy-pension-default-20181011-story.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/2018/10/15/sea...61ac712fb3
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

our local sears just anounced they were closing....wtf I thought they already did Shocked just plain stupid greed and moron managament.
super74beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

super74beetle wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
True, but the guy has thrown in something like $1.6B to keep it afloat over the years, and expects SOMEthing back for his investment. Can't say I blame him.

Eddie Lampert is the billionaire hedge fund manager who ran Sears further into the ground. He is also it's biggest creditor and he may make a loan to Sears to keep it afloat. He's playing some type of angle. Guys like him don't usually do things like this out of kindness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/opinion/sears-b...ctionfront

Here comes Lampert to the rescue: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/business/sears-...e=Homepage
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Southern Colorado locations are dead. Last time I went in for a ratchet swap, the lights were at 50% and the "associate" was asleep in the bed department ( 2pm). I knew it was over then.
super74beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

I don't know exactly when it happened but the Sears in Lincoln Park, MI. at Southfield & Dix is now closed. It's a huge property building-wise and parking lot wise. I'm guessing WalMart will be put there in the future.

Dennis
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

I forgot to post up about our local store.

Back in April, on a Thursday evening, the owner (nice guy) got a call from corporate saying they will no longer be able to supply him with goods. He asked for options, and they said he would need to set up all new supply chain and make deals with new jobbers. The next morning he held an all employee meeting, and they decided to close the store. Over the next 6 weeks they sold EVERYTHING. Merchandise, shelves, fixtures and displays. I spent about $350 on a bunch of supplies, as they were 50% off and this place had an entire hardware store.

He opened that store 24 years ago, and many employees had worked there nearly that long. Every one of them agreed to stay with him as long as it took to get the place cleaned out.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Thanks for the dough, saps Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You also have the creature on the right to thank for stripping down Sears, Roebuck and Co. for parts.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the dough, saps Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You also have the creature on the right to thank for stripping down Sears, Roebuck and Co. for parts.

that guy looks like a crook...

but that girl.. Bad Girls straight out of a James Bond movie.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the dough, saps Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:

Yep. As it circled the drain, he made tea from the leftovers and threw the leaves in the trash.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

other than brand loyalty sears had the grim reaper following them for a long time. once whal-martz came in...then lowes, then home depot it was kind of over...they did nothing to differentiate themselves from the others...and all of their competition sold what they did in one form or another.

sad....as a kid of the late 70's early 80's I had a hot nut for the wishbook to come out every Christmas. as an adult, I bought *some* stuff from them, but they were typically very overpriced....that was well before the internet too.

there's a neat series on youtube called abandoned by bright sun films...he gets into why these places close. neat to watch....American malls are just closing left and right...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

My local Lowes now has Craftman Tools facing the main isle closest to the entrance so you can't miss it. Lots of signage as well. Besides for select needs I stopped buying craftsman because I believe that Husky and or Duralast was better quality and priced much lower. An example was the Craftsman large size Dead Blow hammer had a great handle design but was about 30 percent higher in price so I passed on it. I think that Sears was throwing a high price on junk and exploiting the Craftsman legacy. I have a set of deep Craftsman 3/8 sockets that are indestructible. I'm surprised that Sears could not handle any competition at all. Confused About a year ago I bought a Craftsman bench top drill press because I felt it was the best model available and I also wanted it for nostalgia reasons. I just bought a Craftsman Rider mower as a back up with the Tight Turn steering and It's really an impressive product.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
My local Lowes now has Craftman Tools facing the main isle closest to the entrance so you can't miss it. Lots of signage as well. Besides for select needs I stopped buying craftsman because I believe that Husky and or Duralast was better quality and priced much lower. An example was the Craftsman large size Dead Blow hammer had a great handle design but was about 30 percent higher in price so I passed on it. I think that Sears was throwing a high price on junk and exploiting the Craftsman legacy. I have a set of deep Craftsman 3/8 sockets that are indestructible. I'm surprised that Sears could not handle any competition at all. Confused About a year ago I bought a Craftsman bench top drill press because I felt it was the best model available and I also wanted it for nostalgia reasons. I just bought a Craftsman Rider mower as a back up with the Tight Turn steering and It's really an impressive product.

Stanley Black & Decker now owns the Craftsman name and are bring production back to the USA and are making quality tools. A factory was announced in Texas last month. The 435,000 square foot factory will "manufacture a wide range of CRAFTSMAN mechanics tools, including sockets, ratchets, wrenches and general sets."

I've seen a few of the cordless tools go through the shop and they use many of the same parts as the DeWalt tools. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stanley-b...50306.html

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
theKbStockpiler wrote:

Stanley Black & Decker now owns the Craftsman name and are bring production back to the USA and are making quality tools. A factory was announced in Texas last month. The 435,000 square foot factory will "manufacture a wide range of CRAFTSMAN mechanics tools, including sockets, ratchets, wrenches and general sets."

I've seen a few of the cordless tools go through the shop and they use many of the same parts as the DeWalt tools. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stanley-b...50306.html

Not too many years ago Stanley was one of the "All American" companies that had moved all of their corporate offices overseas, and paid zero corporate taxes in the US (like GE and many others). Has that changed?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

To note.. locally. we have this Sears Hometown store.. Rolling Eyes ..
Located in a old strip mall.. with Big Lots, Rent a Center, Tractor Supply..
Its on the end.. and almost out of line of sight. I didnt even know it was there.. until I went to TSC one day..
Walk in.. looks like an appliance center.. small section of tools.. and yes they will order replacements of tools broken..
One guy working.. smells like coffee, smoke, cheese... Think maybe feet. and onions.. .. ..
I'll pass .... until I have no choice.. .

And now that one's gone too ..

I still can't help but think... if Sears would have kept with the times.. they could have been Amazon... They really use the same idea that Sears Roebuck started.. in a modern form..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

sears downfall started early 90s late 80s. I can relate mostly to craftsman and tools. the product they were selling in the power tools relm were the same as home depot and builders square(owned by kmart by the way) just with a craftsman sticker and a 1 year warranty. where is the incentive to pay for a brand name? the sears hardware stores opened as malls began dying and warrantying out a tool at these places was a hassle at best. a rebuild kit for a broke ass ratchet? remember when sears had the tool set boards you could buy progressive pieces than be the envy of your block right? in the late 90s they did mange to appeal more to women( softer side of sears) but didn't have what it took to be a dillards or a macys. they bought lands end which was a mail order giant. it comes down to they failed to change with the times and most important failed to provide a value. value is defined by paying a little more for actual quality or a perception of better. Sad to see them go but they suck hopefully they will become the model for how to fail. Schwinn is the best current model for this read the book No hands. that is a brand that was the bomb and was like mountain bikes that will never fly wrong again.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

are they gone yet?? I thought they were gone....dilardoes looks like its' fixen to close hear...a church has taken over 1/5th of our mall another church is at the other end....and many empty stores inbetween. vickeys secrets is still there but they just sell shit these days, bras&painties that last a week or 2...and not edible!!! what a scam they have going on now. about the only store dooing well is the black guy barber shop... I think old navy is sending busses to the different housing projects. as they pull up out front and a line straight to the navy store...must be passing out coupons. somany stores&corprations just dont get it. STOP FUCKING US ALL THE TIME, WE CAT STAND IT!!!oops did I say that......I musta been hacked....I bee nice now. bye
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Had to dig this one back up from the graveyard.

Drove by the local mall today and out of the corner of my eye I noticed a sign. The mall space formerly occupied by the defunct Sears store is about to be a shiny new Harbor Freight. Wow. This is a pretty small town, with a harbor Freight store only 44 miles away.

Not sure what to think. But one thing I do know is that I would much rather have that very well run and staffed Sears store back in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: