Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Without further adoo,
FTFY.

Great project, BTW, to have this stuff listed out. I have a box of random FI parts taht I hope to assemble into a working system, and this will help!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

Now if you were to add a list of samba posts that explains what this stuff is,and how it works.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Now if you were to add a list of samba posts that explains what this stuff is,and how it works.

There's a whole book on it. Use it with the various L-jet manuals and troubleshooting guides available on the samba.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-Fuel-Injection-Engine-Management/dp/0837603005

And here's the table of FI interchangeablility from Ratwell.

http://ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

edit - The site was up a minute ago, but now it won't load! Embarassed

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

The decel valve (and decel valve hose from s-boot) are different on an auto.

And I'd love to know why Confused
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

I'll guess completely different vacuum characteristics on deceleration as the torque converters don't lock n these cars TTBOMK.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

And a source for those old FI wiring harnesses courtesy of Mayor R.

http://www.kyleautomotivespecialties.com
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

its nice for so many folks to be concentrating on understanding FI and getting it going.
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
its nice for so many folks to be concentrating on understanding FI and getting it going.

for me, keeping it going. I've been kept awake by what NLA part (predominantly FI or auto) is going to stick a fork in my bus. After reviewing the list I'm going to keep boning up on the conversion options...
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

This guy has a bunch of used NLA FI stuff (AAR, TTS, decel valves, intakes, runners, etc).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Ian&section%5B%5D=33

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:

Amskeptic made this absolutely gorgeous diagram:
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=10584

As for how it works:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:

Amskeptic made this absolutely gorgeous diagram:
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=10584

Well, that is too cool, too!

How did I miss that? Great graphics, Amskeptic!
And thanks for bringing it to the thread, BayCreamPuff!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

Great thread, nice kick in the a** for me.

Perhaps you could note the difference (if any) between the white injectors and the teal-blue colored ones. I read Ratwell's injector comparison table a couple months ago (referencing by years/engines if I recall), and couldn't find any difference.

Thanks!
KBDDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

I dont see the EGR pipe between the Throttle body and caniste, There are a couple different EGR pipes depending on your TB. also, dont some models not use the full throttle switch, isnt it optional? I have seen them have it an not on your year so it would have to be matched to the rest of you HW. maybe the difference between 49 and 50 state? There is also an accordion type rubber boot for the throttle cable. Maybe I missed those? I have a lot of these parts if you need them and want to swap stuff around. I was blessed with stumbling across a guy who stripped 3 FI busses and carbed them (a travesty I know) but I got all 3 complete sets (except for the airboxes) for $50 plus what I have collected over the years. Let me know if you are missing anything.

Funny thing to note - The same guy I bought the FI parts from was shocked I was 200 or so miles from my home in the bus and would go that far in one. I was shocked he would go through all the trouble to have a bus and not trust it (or his mechanical skills) to get him over 200 miles from home Smile
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

I am sure you have all seen this thread of FI diagrams.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

Thanks for all the reminders folks. I'm glad the original list was fairly complete. Again, this isn't a "how to" for installing, just a checklist to see what else to think about acquiring. Tomorrow I'll be annotating the list with early/late style EGR setups, as well as the special 79/CA setup equipment.

White injectors? I've only seen blue and yellow collars…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

I don't want to press my luck, but it would also be helpful if the diameter of the various hoses could be added (and if possible the approximate length) so that all the info was in the same place.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Thanks for all the reminders folks. I'm glad the original list was fairly complete. Again, this isn't a "how to" for installing, just a checklist to see what else to think about acquiring. Tomorrow I'll be annotating the list with early/late style EGR setups, as well as the special 79/CA setup equipment.

Robbie

let me know if you need pics of the 79/CA set up as mine just passed smog in Ca. before I got it-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Hmmm...after seeing this, I just spent a while perusing Samba pics and the Web, and turned up blue, yellow, and white. I couldn't find any patterns, other than MidAmerica Motorworks sells some white replacements, and some Type-3 pics with white ones on TheSamba. And some yellow ones, seemingly mostly for Vanagon (83- on). And primarily blue on Bays, only a couple pics with white on Bays.

I think my inquiry is probably irrelevant in the frame of this thread Confused Sorry for the clutter.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I don't want to press my luck, but it would also be helpful if the diameter of the various hoses could be added (and if possible the approximate length) so that all the info was in the same place.

Mayor Ratwell to the rescue!

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

Wow! At the same time this makes me appreciative for those of us here willing to take the time on these specifics, it also makes me appreciate the fact that I have never owned an FI inducted baywindow bus and likely won't. So much info/parts/minutia I don't think I have room in my brain.

Like I said, this is a great resource. Thanks to all for putting it all out there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: