Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

With a properly set up FI system on a well built and correctly maintained engine, there is nothing better. My 79 CA spec bus has performed flawlessly and has never let me down in almost 7 years of ownership.

And yes for comparison, many years ago I owned a new 74 P21 Westfalia so I understand how a brand new carbed engine is supposed to perform. The FI is smoother, gets better gas mileage, runs cleaner and is not affected by weather.

So for those of you contemplating the change, do it right the first time and you will not be disappointed.
KBDDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required Reply with quote

I want to add same as pittwagen. If you really want to travel FI is the way to go. Its very reliable and only requires a few spares - less than a few hundred bucks of stuff from shows, CL, or swap meets if you are looking for them because a lot of folks dont want the stuff. Best, is it is impervious to elevation if working properly. I live at 6K feet and can go to the beach or skiing and no difference. Also - the mileage is a little better and FI definitely runs cleaner and cooler, particularly in heavy city traffic,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Complete Fuel Injection System Reply with quote

Thank you asiab3. Great job!

1976 Late Federal/Manual Complete Fuel Injection
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1697010

1978 Complete Fuel injection
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

78 fuel injection

1978-79 GE Code 2.0L Complete Fuel Injection System for

1979 Federal Complete Fuel Injection System for ECU 039 906 021 B

Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Fuel injection Fuel pumps Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8554618#8554618]Fuel injection Fuel pumps[/url]

Fuel injection Fuel pumps

Inside the FI electric fuel pump 043 906 091

Part numbers, a little scratchy.
thnx jersey
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/018-30-1-058.jpg
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/018-30-1-059.jpg

1974, from ch. no. 132 408 to the end of 74 California models, 1.8, FI Elect. Fuel pump 311 906 091 D
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1975-79, 1.8-2.0, FI Elect. Fuel Pump 251 906 091 > 043 906 091
Bosch 0 580 463 010 > 0 580 463 016 >0 580 464 085 / 69469 / GFP 301 screw on terminals /

Last edited by Tcash on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
allenrobbins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

What about the mount bracket for the ECU? Can't seem to find any info on how to secure it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

allenrobbins wrote:
What about the mount bracket for the ECU? Can't seem to find any info on how to secure it.

Not really a bracket. If the Bus is 1974 or older. You would need to cut a slot above the battery to slide it into the body panel and two bolts hold it in place. 1975 and newer the slot is there already.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

allenrobbins wrote:

The mount is secured in the engine bay. Is the mount itself removable? I've never tried. I'll add it to the list if so, thanks!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mich3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

Fantastic! Is there a corresponding shop list for Type 1 as well that you know of?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

Mich3 wrote:
Fantastic! Is there a corresponding shop list for Type 1 as well that you know of?

We can make any list you’d like, but I’m not sure which Type 1 you’re referring to... The German L-Jet system that came on bugs after 1975? Or the later Mexican style fuel injection?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allenrobbins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
allenrobbins wrote:

The mount is secured in the engine bay. Is the mount itself removable? I've never tried. I'll add it to the list if so, thanks!

Robbie

On my 74 Westy there is an "indention" the same size as the ECU the same place as the ECU is the picture. I just cut a hole, drilled holes and bolted it in. Worked perfect.
Mich3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Mich3 wrote:

We can make any list you’d like, but I’m not sure which Type 1 you’re referring to... The German L-Jet system that came on bugs after 1975? Or the later Mexican style fuel injection?

Robbie

To convert my imported OEM 79 beetle to CA standards (engine AS 1974-79 1600cc 50bhp DIN. Non-USA)
Not sure if it helps but here are few pics:

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

Mich3 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Mich3 wrote:

Robbie

To convert my imported OEM 79 beetle to CA standards (engine AS 1974-79 1600cc 50bhp DIN. Non-USA)
Not sure if it helps but here are few pics:

Please move discussion to appropriate Forum.
Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up

Thank you
Tcash
chasduby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

I had a small engine fire, and had to get a replacement engine with carburetors.

This conversion back to FI all seems pretty daunting. Is it at all possible to get a 78 bus (formerly FI but now w carburetors) an exemption through the CA DMV Referee program?

I now live in CO, and they won't even test the emissions because "I went backwards in technology."
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

chasduby wrote:
I had a small engine fire, and had to get a replacement engine with carburetors.

This conversion back to FI all seems pretty daunting. Is it at all possible to get a 78 bus (formerly FI but now w carburetors) an exemption through the CA DMV Referee program?

I now live in CO, and they won't even test the emissions because "I went backwards in technology."

Been a while so don't quote me. But you used to be able to apply for a hardship in Calif. But it only buys you a year. The following year you have to meet the requirements.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv

Go down to FUEL INJECTION
Tech Tips

Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ

Fuel Injection (Bosch Parts Interchange)
http://www.type2.com/library/fuel/fuelibo.htm

Good luck
Tcash
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-F23175-Fuel-Filte...FM6PVBDZ87

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Porsche-Beetle-Tra...&psc=1

I found a few FI fuel pump and filter replacements on Amazon. The Bosch pump is only $100, and some generic direct replacements are only $50 Shocked Idk about you guys but I'm gonna try it out! The filters are between 6 and 9 dollars, so that's cool too.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

Guess it is too early to tell how it is holding up.. the pump that is..hey, maybe filters also...
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

Who's brought back their engine from carbs to fuel injection? What's the hard to find items that are usually bad and needing quality pieces to get things working in tip top shape?
I have a GE engine with all the original items there, will be assessing completeness next week.

Robbie, thanks for the kickass list.
WastedYouth (Steven) as always, good looking out bro.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Who's brought back their engine from carbs to fuel injection? What's the hard to find items that are usually bad and needing quality pieces to get things working in tip top shape?
I have a GE engine with all the original items there, will be assessing completeness next week.

KentPS, AndreWTF, and a few others here have. Send them a PM if they don't see this.

Last engine I did this on was subject to CA emissions testing. Whether or not you have a visual test will affect the work and parts load greatly. Some of the hardest parts were the late EGR valve, lack of CA-legal cat until this year, finding a functioning PCV valve. All of those are easily navigated when you can run block-off plates and delete pipes, but we were stuck.

Yeah, if you start with an original FI car with the ECU, decel valve, double relay, and all that still installed, you're ahead of the game. I remember spending a while under AndreWTF's new bus rebuilding the DR wiring harness that was truncated with a sawzall or angle grinder years before…

Good luck!
Robbie
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

My first post in probably three or more years. Had twins, so the VW hobby has been kind of pushed aside, but I still get to enjoy driving my Bus. Anyhow, when I purchased my ‘77 it had a Weber progressive carb. and came with none of the FI parts. I bought a nearly complete FI system from a user here on thesamba and was able to fairly easily assemble an awesome running system. I had my injectors cleaned, used all new rubber seals/hoses, and made sure to clean the hell out of everything. Ratwell’s site made the process possible and his pictures and diagrams are indispensable. Definitely bench test everything when possible to avoid having to troubleshoot once it’s assembled in your Bus. I found a problem with my AFM before assembly that I’m sure would have been a hassle to have diagnosed otherwise. When I first decided to switch back to the FI system from the carb. (at the suggestion of other samba users) I thought it was going to be an overwhelming project, but it was actually very simple and straight forward. I would suggest studying Ratwell’s site and becoming familiar with the different parts and their functions. There’s also a troubleshooting guide that I downloaded from thesamba that was really helpful as well. I’m sure someone else here could probably post the link. Best of luck and don’t feel intimidated.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection conversion shopping list - parts required FAQ Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

My first post in probably three or more years. Had twins, so the VW hobby has been kind of pushed aside, but I still get to enjoy driving my Bus. Anyhow, when I purchased my ‘77 it had a Weber progressive carb. and came with none of the FI parts. I bought a nearly complete FI system from a user here on thesamba and was able to fairly easily assemble an awesome running system. I had my injectors cleaned, used all new rubber seals/hoses, and made sure to clean the hell out of everything. Ratwell’s site made the process possible and his pictures and diagrams are indispensable. Definitely bench test everything when possible to avoid having to troubleshoot once it’s assembled in your Bus. I found a problem with my AFM before assembly that I’m sure would have been a hassle to have diagnosed otherwise. When I first decided to switch back to the FI system from the carb. (at the suggestion of other samba users) I thought it was going to be an overwhelming project, but it was actually very simple and straight forward. I would suggest studying Ratwell’s site and becoming familiar with the different parts and their functions. There’s also a troubleshooting guide that I downloaded from thesamba that was really helpful as well. I’m sure someone else here could probably post the link. Best of luck and don’t feel intimidated.

good job and well written. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: