Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identifying wiring in engine compartment
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolcolger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

Good day,
trying to get back into the Volkswagen way of life after being away for ten years or so. I have gotten back around to working on my 76 bay and now being more mature than 16 year old me I would like to set things right with my bus. Long story short, my 76 started its life with a 2.0 liter fuel injected engine and it has what I believe to be a 1.8l type iv from a late 70s 914 as the oil fill and dip stick are on top of the engine. The engine now has dual weber carbs. I have never had any working instrumentation at all other than the high beam indicator, the turn signal indicator, and a voltmeter that was added to the empty right most gauge spot. In a perfect world I would like to get everything applicable working in the cluster. I have a speedo cable on the way to delete the "inline emissions box" and hopefully get the speedo and odo working again. On to the question: I have some wiring in the engine compartment that I imagine to be related to instrumentation just loose or clipped from my botched engine swap years ago. I have attached images. The first being two/three wires being fed into the compartment from the passenger side, one wire just being black, the other being two wires crimped together turquoise in color with maybe a black stripe. The second image is on the driver's side, one just a black wire and the other red with white stripe. Lastly in the third image is a wire with a large plastic case on the end with blade connections that is coming from the same harness with other wires running to the coil, it appears to be green/red in color with black stripes. Any ideas guys? Any other tips to setting my wiring/cluster straight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

Hello,
It looks like you have a date coming up with the color coded wiring diagram in the Bentley Manual.....Study it well. All your answers could be found there...
Oh, and nice gloves....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

clean the wires with a small amount of carb cleaner on a rag to see the real color. Then look on the wiring diagram to see what wires are that color. Use a volt meter to verify what's at the other end.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

I can tell you that the turquoise wire was certainly some kind of PO addition/hack/repair.

By the time your bus was made, the wires that had a stripe, all had the stripe running in line.

That does sort of remind me of my 1960 Beetle's wiring but I can't say for sure.

My guess is a PO used a scrap of wire that they had laying around for whatever that one is doing.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

I am going to guess your dealer diagnostic plug has been removed and some of the cut wires were for that.

Black---#15 ignition circuit

Red/Wht---either the #30 (B+) circuit or the #50 from the starter to the double relay.

Does your oil pressure warning light work? It should be a blue/brown wire
coolcolger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I am going to guess your dealer diagnostic plug has been removed and some of the cut wires were for that.

Red/Wht---either the #30 (B+) circuit or the #50 from the starter to the double relay.

Yes, the diag plug has been removed. The black wire - the ignition circuit, should this be live when the key is in accessory or run position? Also, my oil pressure warning light does not work. Any ideas where I should be looking at get the oil pressure and/or the battery lights working? Thank you Wildthings!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

coolcolger wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Yes, the diag plug has been removed. The black wire - the ignition circuit, should this be live when the key is in accessory or run position? Also, my oil pressure warning light does not work. Any ideas where I should be looking at get the oil pressure and/or the battery lights working? Thank you Wildthings!

Yes the black wire is likely hot when the key is in the RUN position, put a small wire nuts on it so it can't accidentally ground out. Note that there is no accessory position on these rigs.

I am thinking that the striped torquoise wire in your last picture might be for the oil pressure light, but am not sure. VW is known for using whatever wire was on hand if they didn't have the correct color available. If you ground that wire to the block with the key ON and the oil light comes on you will know what it does. Don't burn anything up doing your test, just touch it to ground momentarily at first to see if it sparks.
coolcolger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
coolcolger wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Yes the black wire is likely hot when the key is in the RUN position, put a small wire nuts on it so it can't accidentally ground out. Note that there is no accessory position on these rigs.

I am thinking that the striped torquoise wire in your last picture might be for the oil pressure light, but am not sure. VW is known for using whatever wire was on hand if they didn't have the correct color available. If you ground that wire to the block with the key ON and the oil light comes on you will know what it does. Don't burn anything up doing your test, just touch it to ground momentarily at first to see if it sparks.

Thank you very much! I will report back once I check out that odd wire near the distributor. It's placement would make sense to be the oil pressure lead.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

Double blue wires in the first picture go to the Voltage Regulator wiring harness
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolcolger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying wiring in engine compartment Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
coolcolger wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thank you very much everyone! The striped wire by the distributor was the oil pressure light lead. Very easy connection to make. The lead with the two blue wires I connected with the red wire to the voltage regulator and I know have a working battery light on the dash(and an alternator that actually charges.) Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: