Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which one is the proper NSU type 32?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Most Beetle books have these two cars shown as the precursors of the beetle, and most claim they are both Porsche Type 32. I find that inplausible. The cars are not the same at all, they show very little common design treats. The blue car is made from steel, it has grilles behind the rear quarterlights, the fenders are much more curvy. The dark one has a much sleeker body, which looks to be made in DKW fasion, from wood with artificial leather as outer finish coating. It has no grilles behind the rear side windows, and the front fenders are much simpler and elegant.

I do not believe that Porsche had two so dissimilar cars made to the same type number specification. Does anyone have any reliable information on this?

This car exists today and is in in the VW museum as a NSU Porsche typ 32

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of the Porsche drawings, obviously depicting a car similar to the dark car in the black and white photo.

This car is only known from this photo, as far as I know. Is it an NSU Type 32, or maybe not? Maybe it is the only one which is a type 32?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by allsidius on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

You are correct that they are different cars. You are also correct that the 32 has a steel body and that the second is a wood frame with fake leather stretched over it.

I am not near any of my books right now but I want to say that the second car was earlier and was either an earlier NSU prototype or one done for Edit: Zundap before working with NSU. I will check my books later and update this later.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Thanks Splitjunkie, I have several books on the subject myself and they tend to name both cars type 32, but I think that may be an old mistake. Most importantly, the first car still has the air vents behind the rear side windows, like the Zundapp type 12. In my mind, it looks as this car was designed as an evolution of the type 12. The second car looks out of sequence with respect to that theory.

For reference, here is the Porsche type 12, the Zundapp.

Just for fun, here is the Porsche type 7, the Wanderer prototype of 1930. Only one made on an expensive 6-cylinder chassis, and kept as Ferdinands personal car for years. No attempt on a people's car.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Just as the VW prototypes differed, with some having wooden frame bodies while others were all steel, so it was for the Typ. 32. Both of these are NSU prototypes, produced to fulfill the same contract. Steel bodies were very expensive to produce, which is why some prototypes used the mixed wood/faux leather system. Remember that a prototype represented a concept. Final production touches came later. Unfortunately cars made with this mixed body system tended to perish over time.

The reason the Type 32 was never produced was because motorcycle maker N.S.U. had a contractual obligation to Fiat not to produce a motorcar, and upon learning of the Typ. 32, Fiat exercised the clause in that contract.

Another interesting fact, as shown in Dan Post's book, is that the steel N.S.U. originally had much larger external headlights, and the small, flush-mounted lights were added after the war.

Heinz Nordhoff
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Pictures or it didn't happen! Laughing

I just find it strange that the two cars are so different, that is my main point. They should at least have the air inlets in the same place, or similar fenders etc.

The engineering needed betweeen the two cars is just as much, or more, as going from the Zundapp type 12 to the NSU type 32. I am suspicious that the naugahyde car may be a different beast altogether. Or maybe it is the blue car that is not NSU at all.

Unfortunately, the Wolfsburg VW museum has done so much silly non-preservative things in recent past, that I don't expect them to be the authority on the matter anymore. Remember when the bought license plates for the VW38/03? Instead of the correct plates IIIA 43003, they put the sunroof cornerstone car, long gone, IIIA 42802. From a preservation standpoint, totally unacceptable.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

My car once stood beside it at an exibition.
But I did not care much about it.
So I cant tell what it really was/is.

IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Actually three completely different bodies were built for the type 32 project, two of which are well known (shown above), one much less well known but photographically documented.

The car that survived had a different head lamp layout originally too, they were inboard.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

IIIA-0426 wrote:
Actually three completely different bodies were built for the type 32 project, two of which are well known (shown above), one much less well known but photographically documented.

The car that survived had a different head lamp layout originally too, they were inboard.

I would really dig seeing those pics, if anyone has a book with them and a scanner to show them. But why the steel car is totally different still puzzles me.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

This website repeats much of the info, but also cited the three cars, with two body designs:

https://public.fotki.com/stein_s/travels/germany_-...2nsub.html

Quote:
NSU Commissioned three Prototypes, two built in composite truss by Drauz* in Heilbronn, and one all-steel-model by Reutter* in Stuttgart.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
This website repeats much of the info, but also cited the three cars, with two body designs:

https://public.fotki.com/stein_s/travels/germany_-...2nsub.html

Quote:
NSU Commissioned three Prototypes, two built in composite truss by Drauz* in Heilbronn, and one all-steel-model by Reutter* in Stuttgart.

The first car that pops up is the V3/2 which is the fourth prototype of the Porsche type 60, and hence not an NSU at all. Kind of lost faith in the posting after that.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

IIIA-0426 wrote:

He who seeks, shall find! In my tiny book from the Porsche museum, "Ferdinand Porsche und der / and the Volkswagen" the all-metal NSU type 32 is shown in all its pre-modification glory. My advise to the VW museum is to get rid of the butt-ugly integrated headlights and install a correct set of vintage MB 170H headlights!

Next to the NSU, we see Ferdinands wonderful personal prototype fastback Wanderer.

For all my searching, no other photos can be found of the wood and fabric NSUs, than the one of the dirty car by the curb. I agree it is quite similar to the drawings in the Porsche archives, but where are the drawings of the all-metal car?

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Could this be the third car?

Comparing to the NSU all-steel car, this looks much more similar in my view. I found it on a page that discussed the origins without offering too much new info except this picture.

The fenders look much more consistent to the blue NSU prototype, the rear sides have no air inlets (but semaphores instead). If anyone knows any detail, please chime in!

IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Yes, this is the "less well known" Type 32 prototype I was referring to. Here another view of this car, taken outside the Drauz karosseriewerke.

As for the faux leather / wood construction prototype, there is a photo showing the front with the car parked in the same position (in front of the Porsche Buro).
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Amazing! Don't you just love TheSamba!

Any pics from the front?

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

I took a look in the books I have at home.
Some older ones.
I have no scanner actually here. So I have just taken pictures.
In case they are of interest for you.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
I took a look in the books I have at home.
Some older ones.
I have no scanner actually here. So I have just taken pictures.
In case they are of interest for you.

Are you kidding? This is gold! What book is this?

This picture is of the steel NSU 32, before the front was modernized with the ugly small fixed units. Compare to the pic from Porsches Yard, no bulges in the fenders there. It would be interesting to know when the modification was done!

Note also that the big custom Wanderer has the same headlight treatment as the Zundapp 12! So the NSU 32 and the V1 V2 and V3/1 were actually retrograde in design development with their separate headlights, for cost considerations, no doubt! This type of integrated headlight fixture was otherwise a hallmark of the Pierce-Arrow, a luxury car from USA.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
What book is this?

German publications from 1951 and 1960.
And one new from 2011.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Another interesting fact, as shown in Dan Post's book, is that the steel N.S.U. originally had much larger external headlights, and the small, flush-mounted lights were added after the war.

BlueBaron, do you know when they actually were added? Now that we know how they looked, it would be interesting to know if it was done after a man traded the car for a brand new beetle in the fifties!

In Norway we have a quite strong museum law, written or unwritten, regarding ships, houses and other technical items. If the item has been modified for use, it should be kept in the modified condition to preserve the history of the item. In this case it is a question whether it was done by a private owner or the VW museum. My guess is that the modification was made when the car was prepared for the VW museum, no doubt to make a point for the continous line of the beetle design. History falsification, I would call it. If the car was driven by a private owner with those new lights for some time, OK. If the car had the front changed and then put in the museum, it should be reversed.

Not that I am expecting the mighty VAG to follow my advice.

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

In any case, the "NSU didn't build it because of FIAT" which gets repeated over and over....does anyone have any proof of this? because as far as I have read it is not exactly true ....more like the opposite depending on how you look at it
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

I am interested to hear how the history of the VW varies depending on the interests of the author (or the author's sources).

The NSU prototypes are a good example. In Josef Ganz's book, the design was not good enough. In the "factory-influenced books" it was due to the FIAT agreement, though some say the car came first, others say the agreement came first.

I have been reading and scanning several popular books to line up these various "shades" of fact about the VW history. I'll post it when it's ready for dissection here.

History is written by the victors (VW) but then later other views (some in self interest) come out.

Actually, The Samba may be the best (i.e., least prejudicial) arena for resolving these disparate versions of the "truth." No one here benefits or has a personal stake in the outcome, and we are all interested fans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: