Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which one is the proper NSU type 32?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Speaking about convergent evolution, the 1939 Hanomag!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

also worth mentioning, the 1937 lancia aprilia:

'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Great thread. I've enjoyed reading it. Thanks to all.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Thanks Supervert.

Regarding convergence, what about the Lincoln Zephyr, based on the Briggs Dream car. Ferdinand went to see Henry Ford in 1937, and I am pretty sure he was picked up at the dock in a brand new, cutting edge (design only, the mechanicals were still Model T-ish) Lincoln Zephyr. Following this visit, Erwin Komenda received a cable instructing them to ditch the rear hinged doors and install a split rear window, which was top fasion in Detroit in 1937. The split rear window arose out of necessity as the bodies became more and more rounded at the rear from 1935 on, so a full width straight glass would have to be smaller and smaller, which is cool now, but a safety issue then.

Although many US manufacturers had adopted the split rear window, we know that Ferdinand spent a lot of time with the Fords. Henry being an anti-semite, was more than willing to help uncle A with his plans. I am not going to bring up Ferdinands political views here, but Henry was really helpful, advising on tool purchases (the presses) etc. Ferdinands men also spent the time coercing german immigrants to the US, with car manufacturing experience, to come back to Germany to help with the brand new factory. I do not think Henry would have looked kindly on that activity, if he and Ferdinand hadn't got on just fine.

I also think this was the time Ferdinand began thinking about ditching the plans for using standard 7" headlight units and opted for the tilted units the beetle eventually got and used for 30 years. I have never found out if those units were custom designed for the beetle, or if it was a brand new "standard" design that just had come on the market. Any light on this subject is greatly appreciated. As can be seen on my previus post, the Reutter wooden mock-up had standard upright 7" headlights in W30 style pods at first (nov 1937) which were thankfully revised for the production style before the V303 prototypes were made. Notice that they are hand crafted for the display, they are not actual headlight assemblies, which makes me lean to the theory that they were developed for the Beetle.

(Note the ridiculously narrow tires, this was really going to roll lightly on the Autobahn.)

A lot of other makes used this assembly or variants of it, the slant angle of the bucket became sort of an industry standard. Here are the headlights of an Adler Autobahn, launched in 1937, with what appears to be the same angle and the same perimeter, although the glass is flat and not convex.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Ford had slanted lights from 37-39 (it was really in then), then the government made a law stating all cars should have 7" Sealed beam lights.

That's the reason Ford 40's have a BIG Chrome ring with the sealed beam mounted in. Since they already have made the tools to make the fenders.

The law was abandoned 1957, and that the reason for all small double light's on the 1958 cars.

Ok It does not have anything to with the VW's Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Actually those small quad headlights were also sealed beams. Even the rectangular headlights of the '70s were sealed beams. The U.S. didn't abandon sealed beams until well into the 1980s.

It is unclear why sealed beams were adopted universally in the U.S. in 1940. It could be for universality, or safety, or maybe some large company such as General Electric had a friend in Congress.

Heinz Nordhoff
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Actually those small quad headlights were also sealed beams. Even the rectangular headlights of the '70s were sealed beams. The U.S. didn't abandon sealed beams until well into the 1980s.

It is unclear why sealed beams were adopted universally in the U.S. in 1940. It could be for universality, or safety, or maybe some large company such as General Electric had a friend in Congress.

https://www.carid.com/articles/brief-history-of-sealed-beam-headlights-in-us.html

PRIOR TO 1939: Headlamp design was not standardized. While many cars during the earliest part of the 20th century used round, stand-alone lamps, as car design evolved, auto manufacturers began to design lamps unique to their vehicles.

1940-1956: All U.S. cars are required by law to use (2) 7" round sealed beam headlamps, one lamp on each side. Note that each lamp is a "dual filament", meaning that the same sealed beam lamp serves as both low beam and high beam. Therefore, they all have 3 electrical prongs at the rear. more details on - https://www.carid.com/articles/brief-history-of-sealed-beam-headlights-in-us.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

We shall see if sealed beams are on their way back now, with so many friends in Congress!

Joke aside, sealed beams were never a big part of beetle design, so let's move on.

In 37 Ferdinand was picked up in a Zephyr, no doubt, look at those beautiful headlights!

No doubt a custom design would be much more expensive to purchase, but if the numbers were big enough, the unit price would go down, and the extra cost could be defended, I suspect the argument went.

The Golf mk1 had Beetle headlights, softening the Guigiaro boxy design. The little strip of painted metal under the grille even has cut outs to allow fitment of the ill-fitting headlights. We can only speculate on the argument going on in the VAG boardroom, the Golf looked like an east european POS and the engineers insisted on spending a big amount of Lire on a Guigiaro design. A poor selling Golf would have sunk the company, after a string of failures to come up with a beetle replacement, they had to have a winner. "OK, call this Guglielmo guy, but the headlights from the beetle is going on the car, they are only 50 cents each and I have got a million of them coming in every year!"

I remember I wondered why the car had such ill fitting lights, but now I think it is a stroke of genius.

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

I remember reading an interview in which Giugiaro clearly stated that his original design for the golf called for rectangular headlights and VW executives pressed him to switch to the round ones, allegedly for "family feeling". Giugiaro of course knew all along it was because they were cheaper.

That said, a lot of Giugiaro's most famous designs in the '70s and '80s ended up using rectangular headlights with similar front treatments (VW scirocco, DeLorean, Lancia Delta, Fiat Panda, Fiat Uno, Seat Ibiza...). the golf stands a bit out thanks to its round headlights (well, to be fair, also does the Delta integrale... Wink)

But I went OT. sorry.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

So we managed to locate all those cool forerunners of the Type 60, but a couple of drawings are missing. Does anybody have any drawings of the actual Reutter steel-bodied car, ie. the one that actually still exists? It is pretty clear to me that this car

was not built to this drawing:

It is way less elegant, the side windows have the droop (if you count the air intakes), the front fenders are much more sculpted, the front windshield is much less raked.

There are a lot of sketches of similar fastback Porsche designs out there, but I have not yet seen a drawing of something similar to the steel bodied NSU.

The same goes for the Drauz car no 2, which seems like a transition between the Drauz no 1, the dark and dirty car, and the stodgy Reutter car. Where are the drawings?

Any enlightenment is surely appreciated!

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Once again, I beg to answer my own question..

"Die Käfer-Chronik" by Bernd Wiersch of VW museum fame has this interesting drawing of the third NSU typ32 prototype. It was supposedly made by Karrosseriewerke Weinsberg in 1933.

So how does this car fit in? Is there a fourth car? Was it ever built? Is it the car we called Drauz no 2? It has forward hinged doors, like the car we used to call Drauz no 2, its overall profile looks a bit similar, but the rear side windows look more like the Reutter car, and the front fenders are simpler in shape. Maybe an early proposal?

Wiersch claims there were 3 distinctly different NSU prototypes, all made in composite steel and wood construction. He does not distinguish between the Drauz car (dark and dirty) which seems to be made in the DKW fasion, plywood and fake leather, and the Reutter car, all metal, or at least all metal outer skin.

Wiersch's book is not very exactly written, he mixes up the Drauz and the Reutter car, claiming the survivor is made by Drauz. I would have believed him, if it wasn't for him claiming that this car had integrated headlights from the beginning! This is clearly not the case, as we have seen in this thread. Wiersch's book is nowhere as exact as the Birth of the Beetle by Barber.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

In lieu of opposition, I dare the following conclusion. Three distinctly different NSU prototypes were made by three different coachbuilders, Reutter, Drauz and Weinsberg.

This sketch, by Karosseriewerke Weinsberg in 1933,

was modified and ended up in this car.

The reason I think they belong together, is the door hinged at the front, the slant of the windshield and general proporsions. During detail design, the side windows assumed the much more Porsche-like quarter oval design.

This sketch, by Porsche presumably,

Ended up as this car by Karosserie Drauz,

Only known from this photograph so far.

And the last car was produced by Reutter, to hitherto unknown drawings, and still exists in slightly modified form.

Drawings and more pics of the unmodified car is surely wanted!

This thread yielded a lot of information, hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I!

IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Bear in mind though that this car was photographed outside the Drauz bodyworks....

IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Note the G. DRAUZ sign in the background....

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

IIIA-0426 wrote:
Note the G. DRAUZ sign in the background....

I can't see it, but I believe you. That doesn't make sense, maybe it was taken there for reference? Do you agree it looks a lot like the Weinsberg sketch?

IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Here you see the writing in high resolution.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

Thanks, I see it now.

But I still feel there is a possibility that it is the Weinsberg car taken to Drauz for reference, but maybe it is a long shot.

To be continued...

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

I checked the geography of three coachbuilders and found something interesting.

NSU was based in Neckarsulm, only about 4 miles north of Heilbronn, where Drauz had their shop. Weisberg, where the eponymous Karosseriewerke resided, forms a triangle with the two towns, just 4-5 miles to the east from each. There is just 3.8 miles between the town centers of Heilbronn and Weinsberg. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to assume that the "Weinsberg" type 32 could be used for a trip to the Drauz workshop and be photographed there. After completion, it probably resided as a test vehicle for some time at NSU in Neckarsulm.

Porsche worked in Stuttgart. Reutter was in the same town, just across the street. There is about 35 miles from Stuttgart to Heilbronn.

It seems perfectly reasonable that Porsche and NSU decided to purchase three different bodies from three different companies, and that the two local companies relative to NSU headquarters would be asked to submit proposals.

This is all speculation of course, but it if the theory could be confirmed or falsified, we could be one step closer to the full history of the type 32!

IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

I have been studying the Type 32 on and off for over 15 years and have amassed a fair amount of documentation, photos and plans - although one can never have enough. I also have a very nice copy of the Weinsberg drawing.

The general consensus of which bodywork company built which body, according to the "experts", is largely based on a letter that was written on 12 January, 1957, by Karl Rabe to Fritz von Falkenhayn. The letter was written on the occasion of the anniversary of the Reutter company.

In the letter the key dates of the Type 32 project are mentioned, and Karl Rabe writes:

"Nach meinen Aufzeichnungen war die Karosserie bei der Firma Reutter mit Blech-Holz-Grundaufbau und Kunstlederbezug ausgeführt, während Drauz eine Ganzstalhblech-Ausfuehrung mit aussenliegenden Scheinwerfen lieferte." The letter makes no mention of Weinsberg.

The first contact with Drauz was made on 6th April 1934 and Reutter followed shortly thereafter.

The Weinsberg drawing was dated earlier (29 November 1933) but interestingly makes direct reference to NSU, rather than to a specific Porsche project. This and the fact that Weinsberg are not mentioned in the Rabe letter may suggest that they were commissioned directly by NSU.
paulymx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which one is the proper NSU type 32? Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
GArBa wrote:
allsidius wrote:
beetle killer F9 prototype from 1939

as before I agree with your post, bar this statement. The F9 surely was in every respect an improvement by DKW - Auto Union over their prior DKW utilitarian cars, but it was IMHO, rather than aimed directly to the (then-upcoming) beetle market, a mean to move the DKW marque slightly above the "provider of basic motoring" carachterization that it held up to that point (they tried that before with the not-quite-successful 4=8 ).
As I view it, DKW was expecting the beetle, at its predicted price, to slash its market share and thus trying to differentiate itself by moving upmarket with better refinement and passenger space, at the same time keeping those technical aspects that the DKW customers liked, namely the two-stroke engine and FWD.

GaRba, my bad! I should have used the word contender, not killer. I have not sat in one, but as you say it is probably a bit roomier and well appointed. Although many people like it, the engine of the F9 was probably its biggest drawback. In addition, I can imagine it was not designed for such large scale production as the beetle, hence the cost for production must have been higher. However, the cost of labor was much smaller part of the total cost as compared to cost of materials in those days. So more manhours probably did not matter that much as it does today.

The similarities are quite obvious: very aerodynamic shape, small engine, roomy interior, all metal construction.

What a great discussion this has been with an especially logical treatment of the Ganz 'controversy' (over-hype).

As an owner of a DKW F9 - and knowing the former owner of the 1939 DKW F9 prototype that now resides in the Audi Tradition Museum in Ingolstadt - I can confirm that the DKW F9 was designed by Auto-Union as a response to the Volkswagen. Auto-Union management recognised very early that they would not be able to compete with the state owned VW so needed to take a step up from their earlier wood-bodied cars and develop a competitive steel bodied cheap car of their own. They were pitched at a customer base slightly above the VW with better fittings, interior and - dare I say this - a better engine. The 898cc triple two-stroke was more powerful and economical than the early VW engine.

Another cost-cutting measure in the F9 was the planned the use Duraplast for the body panels in place of steel, which was increasingly rationed as the war became closer. The car was scheduled to go into production in 1940.

AND - very importantly - the car had the same angled headlights as the VW. They are obviously a common enough part sourced from Hella.

The British seized one of the prototypes in 1945 and shipped it home for evaluation. Their report stated "The F9 car was developed solely to meet competition offered by the Volkswagen. The Volkswagen (subsidised) was cheaper than their F8 model, and had more room and was faster. They reckoned that in producing the F9 which had a much better appearance than the Volkswagen and was about 15 kph faster, they would hold the market somewhere between the Volkswagen and the higher priced cars."
Quoted from Karl Ludvigsen's "Battle for the Beetle" page 373.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: