Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solid state 6 volt regulator
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Here is a 6V voltage regulator for 90mm generators.
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/electricity/dynamo-and-alternator/1950/
Made for BBT and they claim it is 100% electronic.
You can switch the cover and use the original Bosch cover.
I do not have it myself so I can not say more.
Maybe someone else?

Regards.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
Maybe someone else?

Regards.

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing! For $89.40 (not counting shipping) I might have to give that a try.

My regulator is still working fine, I've not had any trouble running all lights (high beams also) at night, it only starts to dim when the engine goes to idle. Thanks for the tip on sealing the cover screw; I was unaware that needed to be done.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
OK OK but my question is still unanswered.

Stock 6V generator can produce up to 6V-45A (~270W).

When using a 30A regulator watts available drop to 6*30=180W.

This is not good; 90W are dropped out. In some condition you need all of 270w available: high beam (90W) + park lights (30W) + engine (~20W) + turn signal (42W) + stop light (42W), you have no residual current to charge battery.

If the 6V30A regulator is well working it should drop voltage when more than 30A are requested... so your 45A generator is used under of its capability.

The local starter/generator shop owner of 40 years, said after testing hundreds of 90mm generators he never saw more than 25A at 6V, not 7.2V.

I have a digital volt meter on my '66, the meter input wire connects directly to the regulator terminal with no other loads to cause a voltage drop. After the battery is charged, the voltage is 7.2V, but with the lights on (13A) it drops to 6.8V. Not good, because 6.8V does not charge the battery. I have had two engines in my '66, both generators have the same limitations.

The generator will burn up with too much current. The regulator has a current limit winding, it limits the current to prevent damage to the generator windings.

More info:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5460190

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
Maybe someone else?

Regards.

Looks like CIP1 has the same solid state regulator available now.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-903-801-C
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
Ovally wrote:
Maybe someone else?

Regards.

Looks like CIP1 has the same solid state regulator available now.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-903-801-C

I ordered one, it arrived today.

I will take photos of the inside, and install it tonight and update y'all.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Thanks, I look forward to see the photos and what your experiences are with this solid state 6V voltage regulator.

Regards.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Here it is, not much to it.

You can swap the cover out with the Bosch cover if you want.

Made by BBT, sold through JP Group.

I have yet to test it.

Cover removed.

All Potted in

Box

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Duncan

Can I suggest a couple of tests on this unit? From results I can describe how this item works, if interested. Also, it will be a test of correct working.

So, after installing it and fully wired, if you want you should:

1) Connect a multimeter between ground and double B+ regulator terminal, start engine (all electrical accessories off), to accelerate directly from the carb leverage and to measure the max voltage reached.
It should be from 6.0V at idle up to 7-7,2V at 3000rpm. Could you post exact max measurement?

2) temporarily detach the spade connector that now is on oil bulb and connect it to the "DF" terminal , so the oil light gives an idea of how regulator is shaping generator excitation.
Please confirm that you should note that:
- at engine stopped or idling green light is fully "on"
- when engine revs up green light starts to blink (or fading)?
- when engine is very fast green light is almost off
- if, when at middle revving, you turn on high beam, the green light should "enforce" its lighting.

After test n.2) remember to reconnect the spade connector to the oil pressure sensor.

Thank you in advance if you plan to make those tests.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Dear Mr.Duncan

Can I suggest a couple of tests on this unit? From results I can describe how this item works, if interested. Also, it will be a test of correct working.

So, after installing it and fully wired, if you want you should:

1) Connect a multimeter between ground and double B+ regulator terminal, start engine (all electrical accessories off), to accelerate directly from the carb leverage and to measure the max voltage reached.
It should be from 6.0V at idle up to 7-7,2V at 3000rpm. Could you post exact max measurement?

2) temporarily detach the spade connector that now is on oil bulb and connect it to the "DF" terminal , so the oil light gives an idea of how regulator is shaping generator excitation.
Please confirm that you should note that:
- at engine stopped or idling green light is fully "on"
- when engine revs up green light starts to blink (or fading)?
- when engine is very fast green light is almost off
- if, when at middle revving, you turn on high beam, the green light should "enforce" its lighting.

After test n.2) remember to reconnect the spade connector to the oil pressure sensor.

Thank you in advance if you plan to make those tests.

will do, I may need to change my generator first.

I was having charging issues (My battery would be at 6.3 volts with the engine running.) and a dimly glowing generator light that increased with RPMs, and increased while hitting the brakes.

(Resting voltage of my battery is 6.38 volts.)

All my ground connections were clean, same with the positive side, and the battery is only 2 months old.

With the regulator unhooked, I was able to get 20 volts out of my generator but only at 4000 rpm engine speed.

Yes, I did polarize the generator too.

I tried 4 mechanical regulators, all gave me the same battery voltage of 6.3 volts with the engine running, and the solid state relay does the same.

I think my generator is on its way out, and I can pickup a rebuilt one at Oreilys for $90.

Will test it out next week.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Disconnect your generator from the regulator, then run a jumper from the DF terminal of the generator to the D- terminal (or other good ground).

Connect a voltmeter between D+ and ground.

Start up the engine - at idle you'll probably see around 6v but it should go up dramatically as the engine is revved. You should easily see upwards of 35v well before you get to 4000 rpm.

Just only do this test for a few seconds, otherwise you will burn out the generator.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Disconnect your generator from the regulator, then run a jumper from the DF terminal of the generator to the D- terminal (or other good ground).

Start up the engine - at idle you'll probably see around 6v but it should go up dramatically as the engine is revved. You should easily see upwards of 35v well before you get to 4000 rpm.

Just only do this test for a few seconds, otherwise you will burn out the generator.

I did, and only got 20 volts around 4000 rpm.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

I've got 111 903 801 C NOS Bosch.

Edit: Bosch number is 0190213001
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

It's fine.

I think 35V (whitout load neither regulator) are a goal for 12V generators. For 6V goal is about a half (~18V).
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Mr.Duncan wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

It's fine.

I think 35V (whitout load neither regulator) are a goal for 12V generators. For 6V goal is about a half (~18V).

I've tested:

1 NOS Bosch regulator

2 aftermarket regulators

1 Solid State regulator.

and cant get my battery voltage above 6.3 volts while the engine is running.

Maybe the new battery I have is a dud?

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

You need to look at current and voltage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
herbie1200 wrote:
Mr.Duncan wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

It's fine.

I've tested:

1 NOS Bosch regulator

2 aftermarket regulators

1 Solid State regulator.

and cant get my battery voltage above 6.3 volts while the engine is running.

Maybe the new battery I have is a dud?

ok 6.3 volt when running, what is the batterynvoltage when engine is off, what is voltage when battery is disconnected from car? if the answer you find is 6.3 volts, then connect battery to a portable charger hooked to house current (with battery disconnected from car) charge over night, do not exceed about 10 amps charge during this time. also check to make sure the plates are covered in fluid, if low, add DISTILLED water to correct level if needed. after over night charge disconnect battery for a few hours so surface charges can disapate. (thse surface charges will give a false high reading of volts) then remeasure, if still 6.3 volts, then the battery has a problem. of course make sure your volt meter is reading correct, why not measure the voltage off another car with a good battery, even a 12 volt car, or borrow a second meter to confirm the low voltage.

sometimes a battery can be bad when purchased, rare but it happens

good luck now zap this issue!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

Looks like WW started carrying one too, I might have to try one.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113903801E
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

One of my Beetles still has the original regulator in it.

It's amazing that new is more expensive than NOS.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

I bought this solid state regulator and tested it; not satisfied. Noticed those issues:

1) it starts charging over 2000rpms, so into city traffic battery never charged

2) due to a poor design, this regulator drops 0,7~0.8 Volts from generator to battery, I think they used a normal silicon diode for the cut-off. Some power then is wasted and the generator light has always a small glow, due to the wasting of voltage.

I'm going to return this regulator to the seller.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solid state 6 volt regulator Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
I bought this solid state regulator and tested it; not satisfied. Noticed those issues:

1) it starts charging over 2000rpms, so into city traffic battery never charged

2) due to a poor design, this regulator drops 0,7~0.8 Volts from generator to battery, I think they used a normal silicon diode for the cut-off. Some power then is wasted and the generator light has always a small glow, due to the wasting of voltage.

I'm going to return this regulator to the seller.

Which one did you buy? WW?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: