Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

What a great experience that must have been to spend time with Red and hear all of his stories (including the about the bus). Being able to tie the bus to the cover of FCG is the icing on the cake.

After the bus is finished it would be awesome to take Red for a spin and have him do another photo shoot. Maybe the two ladies are still around/available?

Last edited by srfndoc on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

nice work Chris,
Im gonna have to give him a ring soon,cant wait to see what he pulls out of his diary!

Last edited by andre b on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
andre b wrote:
I'm having the seat redone in a pgsg material.with the green and black material that was in it.Who's to say it's not original!
I know how to find out, just track down the original owner and ask him. Also, ask him why the inside was painted Red.
I am sure he is just some dude in his mid 90s living on a farm in upstate New York or something.

I read the entire article in FCG, and realized that the writer referred to the bus as "my camper". Then I went to the contents page of the FCG, which is the only relevant page that was not scanned and posted on thesamba, and it listed the photo credits and the author. Some quick internet searching gave me a bunch of information about Red. I passed all the info along to Andre. It was really almost too easy. When I posted the above comment last month, we already knew how to find the original owner. I have suggested to Andre that he drive it out to New York and visit Red in person.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

That's pretty rad Red shagged a tent girl... or girls... and maybe even helped Red break in the bed.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Unbelievably cool story. Hope them butter cream story works out, what a great color combo that would be vs black and white.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Lind wrote:
andre b wrote:
I'm having the seat redone in a pgsg material.with the green and black material that was in it.Who's to say it's not original!
I know how to find out, just track down the original owner and ask him. Also, ask him why the inside was painted Red.
I am sure he is just some dude in his mid 90s living on a farm in upstate New York or something.

I read the entire article in FCG, and realized that the writer referred to the bus as "my camper". Then I went to the contents page of the FCG, which is the only relevant page that was not scanned and posted on thesamba, and it listed the photo credits and the author. Some quick internet searching gave me a bunch of information about Red. I passed all the info along to Andre. It was really almost too easy. When I posted the above comment last month, we already knew how to find the original owner. I have suggested to Andre that he drive it out to New York and visit Red in person.

Is there a link to that article upthread? I looked for in both this thread and the other, but did not find...

On edit - red face - in archives as pdf
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Is there a link to that article upthread? I looked for in both this thread and the other, but did not find...

On edit - red face - in archives as pdf

It should probably be in this topic anyway.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB wrote:

There is a 8-page article inside, here are the contents of the pages with photos:

And the rest of the article text:

If you prefer a PDF of it, I added one to the Foreign Car Guide page on the site
Direct PDF link

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

He is about 2 hours North of me by car, and I also frequently drive up that way on business. At his age, an earlier visit might be better than later.

Im sure he doesn't run the camp in winter - that part of NY is known as Tug Hill plateau - and we measure snow in yards, not inches.

One weekend they received two consecutive 7 feet snowfalls.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

When I spoke to him it was snowing at the time and he said they had gotten 2 feet that day. And he had just come in from splitting a little fire wood. At 95. And still sharp as a tack.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Interesting,
found this in the gallery.its from a 1961 westy pillow..looks like the same material as the rear cushions!

andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

oh,and i started the metal work,i was going to post pics,but now a days your typical lower rust repairs is very common!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Go ahead and post them. Always nice to see how they start out and end up.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

If you get to fabric hunting... it might look along these lines.
Tufted dot chenille / boucle
Will probably be tough to source.... good luck.

andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

What did the front floor look like? Did you get the mat out?

That bus looks better everyday. You're a machine!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
What did the front floor look like? Did you get the mat out?

That bus looks better everyday. You're a machine!
front floor is Swiss cheese..il leave it for now..rear cargo is really nice!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

andre b wrote:

looks pretty butter cream yellow to me. Interesting with a little careful wet sand and polish to see what happens.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

I just realised the tarp roof garage and realised who this 23 is in the hands of! Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...;start=180

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...;start=120

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409857&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You get your way through some pretty top shelf busses Sir! Dam I bet if YOU stripped of that westy paint you'd find some killer soft drink logos or something! Very Happy

[/quote]

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Sadly the bus sat for a long time with no back window,cousing some rot on the luggage tray. So im gonna be in search for some material to make a rear mat over the engine compartment,its very similar if not exact material to the center bug 1959 to 62 floor mat, Its the dark grey pebble rubber mat like these.Any leads on the material would be awesome.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2015103
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1766349

perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1958/59 Foreign Car Guide Westy! Reply with quote

Those materials have nothing in common to the early grey mat..will post a picture ASAP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: