Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Nice to see another Dorper on the road and being enjoyed. There are very few of this model remaining. My '72 Dorper is quite different from yours and is based on a Kombi, not a Panel. Dorpers were made in Haney, BC and sold through Westminster Volkswagen. I talked to a guy who worked there at the time and as far as he knew, Dorpers were converted for and sold through this one dealership. I have seen one other in person that still had the original sticker on the poptop, but sadly was unable to take a picture. It was called the "Touring Camper". Glad you are enjoying yours.
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Just stopping in to say I love your bus. The camper conversion is unique and very cool.
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Nice to see another Dorper on the road and being enjoyed. There are very few of this model remaining. My '72 Dorper is quite different from yours and is based on a Kombi, not a Panel. Dorpers were made in Haney, BC and sold through Westminster Volkswagen. I talked to a guy who worked there at the time and as far as he knew, Dorpers were converted for and sold through this one dealership. I have seen one other in person that still had the original sticker on the poptop, but sadly was unable to take a picture. It was called the "Touring Camper". Glad you are enjoying yours.

Very cool to learn some more Dorper info, there's not much out there. Any pictures of yours? Always interested in seeing another one.
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

An interesting side note, our bus was used in a Kijiji commercial out in BC. The previous owner told us about it, then we actually saw it on TV while we were having dinner in downtown Toronto.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwgQ7mPlrk
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

That's pretty neat! We had someone buy a photo of our Subaru once we went camping and they wanted to advertize the Park. This could be an overlooked source of income! ah! here is the ad: https://www.tourwyoming.com/play/activities/5-family-friendly-campsites.html
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Zman86 wrote:
Volktales wrote:

Very cool to learn some more Dorper info, there's not much out there. Any pictures of yours? Always interested in seeing another one.

Search is your friend, there are a few threads with Dorper in the title Wink He won't tell you, but I will, Volktales' Dorper won Class at last year's Vintage Show in Seattle. A really nice restoration in a special looking, but original, colour. Yes, I spelled colour the funny way Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579306&highlight=dorper

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Here is my '72 Dorper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just edited this, as the link above is the same. The link below is a great thread from Tcash

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6904501&highlight=#6904501

Scroll to the Dorper section and you will find some literature as well...
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Zman86 wrote:
An interesting side note, our bus was used in a Kijiji commercial out in BC. The previous owner told us about it, then we actually saw it on TV while we were having dinner in downtown Toronto.

I remember that advertisement, but did not realize it was a Dorper! Very cool your bus has TV history!
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

This post brings us up to the current day. The clutch in the bus was slipping pretty badly, adjustment was maxed out, and the engine had multiple oil leaks. Since we plan on traveling heavily using the bus, we had to do some maintenance over the winter.

Having never done any major work on an aircooled VW, it took about three hours to get the engine/tranny combo out.

The heating system is in very poor condition, and will be deleted using a set of Vintagespeed stainless headers. Also found the source of the major exhaust leak that sprung up on the last drive of the season.

Separated the engine/trans. Found the clutch to actually be in decent shape, so I'm suspecting the cable was at fault. It will all be getting replaced anyways.

After nearly a month, my engine yoke arrived, along with a order of engine stuff from cip1

It was time to get it to work and start the year down and assessment.

My initial plan was to simply reseal the engine, replace all tuneup items and have the tins/shroud powder coated. However, as I took the tins off, it was apparent the source of the oil leaks were the crankcase breather, leading me to believe the engine has a blow by problem.

I am a licensed mechanic by trade, however, I have limited experience building engines from scratch, so I'm currently in talks with a VW engine builder about building something bulletproof with a bit more oomph. Since we plan on driving this thing across country, I want to have an engine I know is going to be reliable.

That brings us up to date! I'll be updating the thread as things happen from this point forward
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Zman86 wrote:
about building something bulletproof with a bit more oomph.

WAIT! What's that.... do I hear skills madly typing a reply? Laughing

It's all looking good from here! Smile

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

For better performance, get your hands on a stock 2 litre from a newer bus and convert yours to the factory fuel injection system. Upgrade to the six rib trans at the same time. I did this to my '74 and am very happy with the result.
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Packed up and heading to the engine builders tomorrow. Opted not to attempt rebuilding it myself and leave to someone who does nothing but work on aircooled VWs and rebuilds VW engines for a living. Sending the trans to him as well for a nosecone rebuild. Had planned on doing the trans myself, but we are just too busy at work and at home. Hoping the engine builder will document it for me with some pictures so I can share them with you guys.

westys74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Hi, glad I found this thread. we met at the Waterford pumpkin fest car show. Great progress on your bus!
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

westys74 wrote:
Hi, glad I found this thread. we met at the Waterford pumpkin fest car show. Great progress on your bus!

I met a bunch of bus people there, unfortunately we had pulled ours off the road in September or it would have been there. Look forward to spending time with the Slow Rides people this summer!

No major updates on the engine, the builder has it torn apart and says it didn't look too bad internally. I'm just awaiting a quote on the rebuild cost. Has not given me any pictures yet.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Great bus with a great camper conversion. I hope your engine build goes well. It looks like the flanges for the exhaust headers are stuck in the heads. The builder will get them out. Your bus has rust in the usual places, but not bad at all and it looks like no one has hacked it. Happy trails to you! Smile
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Great bus with a great camper conversion. I hope your engine build goes well. It looks like the flanges for the exhaust headers are stuck in the heads. The builder will get them out. Your bus has rust in the usual places, but not bad at all and it looks like no one has hacked it. Happy trails to you! Smile

Ya, the engine developed a severe exhaust leak on its last drive on the left side, the problem was obvious once I got some tins off and saw the flanges snapped off. next winter it should be going in for bodywork. The goal is to have it on the road for early June this year, should be easily doable.
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Some updates! Received some stuff from Vintagespeed. Initial opinion was that it was well made and looked great.

Shifter install went smoothly

However, when I wiggled the shifter after install, it snapped off in my hand.

My email to Vintagespeed regarding the shifter has gone unanswered for the last couple weeks, so I'm probly going to have it welded since I don't have time to wait another 6 weeks for them to send a replacement.

Yesterday, I visited the engine builder to drop off the headers so he can run it on the test stand. He's got the long block assembled as far as possible, and is waiting on the tins/shroud/etc to get back from the powder coaters.

He also got the exhaust back from being ceramic coated, and it looks great!

Our first trip with the bus this year is booked for the June 8th weekend, so it's looking like we are right on schedule!
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Some recent updates. I installed a bamboo parcel shelf.

Also pulled out the shift rod for bushing and coupler replacement

Ready to install

Received this picture late last week, builder was waiting on one more part to arrive and then the engine would be ready for pickup. Received news yesterday that the part had arrived. Pick it up Wednesday, and some friends are scheduled to help install it this Sunday.

In preparation for the engine install, I gave the engine bay a quick scrub with degreaser. Cleaned up pretty good.

Hopefully the next update it will be back on the road!
Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

Engine arrived last night, looks great! Install scheduled for this weekend

Zman86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The adventures of Shamus the bus, '72 Dorper conversion Reply with quote

New clutch installed

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: