Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle body replacement recommendation.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Installed the new GoWesty TB last night. Wow, what a difference in throttle response! I love upgrades that make notable driving improvements. Replacing a 30 yr old component, the bar was obviously low though.

Everything went together easily, quality looks good from what I can tell. Two items I would change:
- No dust cover on their TPS. Switch is exposed and wonder if dust/debris will be an issue over time
- TPS connector does not mount like the stock unit to the intake tube. I pulled the L bracket of the old TB and was able to press the plug into it for mounting.
Tark_CA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Installed the new GoWesty TB last night. Wow, what a difference in throttle response! I love upgrades that make notable driving improvements. Replacing a 30 yr old component, the bar was obviously low though.

Everything went together easily, quality looks good from what I can tell. Two items I would change:
- No dust cover on their TPS. Switch is exposed and wonder if dust/debris will be an issue over time
- TPS connector does not mount like the stock unit to the intake tube. I pulled the L bracket of the old TB and was able to press the plug into it for mounting.

This thread was exactly what I was looking for, as my '85 is having some serious idling issues. After trying to decide to change the TPS or TB out to what GoWesty has available, I think I'm going to go with the new TB from them. Any chance you could post a photo or two of the issues you mentioned? Just curious about mounting issue. Thanks!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662485

Still driving it!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
airsweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Holy moly, i've switched every bit of engine management hardware on this van of mine chasing a crazy high idle. I parked next to a pal's perfect running 2.1 and swapped out ecu, air flow meter, idle control valve, idle control relay, etc... no change to my idle whatsoever. The only thing I had not tried was the throttle body so this week I got one of GoWesty's brand new ones and a new gasket, not even that helped.

I've been trying to check for vacuum leaks with propane all along but never got a lead anywhere. The other day I started squirting water on stuff while it was running and whenever I squirt around the the junction of the throttle body and the plenum... bingo the engine bogs. I took the plenum off to inspect for cracks, bends, rust, etc but it looks perfect. The throttle body looks perfect too as well as the gasket. When I put it back together, I used silicone on the gasket too but the engine still has an erratic 2k idle and still bogs when I squirt water there.

So, has anybody ever seen this? I thought maybe the seam on the manifold was leaking but it really looks like the interface with the throttle body to me when I squirt it. What do you gotta do to get a good seal there?
1985 1.9 WBX Westy
1986 2.1 WBX Syncro Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Tark_CA wrote:
Any chance you could post a photo or two of the issues you mentioned? Just curious about mounting issue. Thanks!

Had to rotate the harness plug 90deg to fit into the original mounting bracket. It's wedged in there pretty tight, so I'm not too worried about it shaking loose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Have a couple hundred miles on the this unit now.

I experienced slow or no return on the TB upon letting off the gas on the freeway this morning. Go to shift from 3rd to 4th and the RPMs remained steady in the 3-3.5k range through the shift. If I left the van in gear and slowed down via braking to 2K RPM or thereabouts, the idle would return to normal upon depressing the clutch. Let off the accelerator while cruising at 3k RPM and I could tell the van was not decelerating as it should be. Depress the clutch pedal and the same thing: RPMs did not drop to idle levels. TB was not closing.

Thoughts? I'm wondering if the original tension spring isn't up to the task and needs to be bent/shortened some to increase return force on the TB.
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:

Thoughts? I'm wondering if the original tension spring isn't up to the task and needs to be bent/shortened some to increase return force on the TB.

Have you opened up the engine bay to check it out?

Check your throttle linkage to make sure that is running smooth; disconnect it and manually operate the throttle and see if it is sticking.

I have the new GW throttle body also, no more than 300 miles so far and no issues. My first test drive I forgot to connect the return spring and it still ran fine, just a very light throttle.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Mine is in my shopping cart waiting to be bought when there's a little more "disposable" in my account; but the directions on the website even give a pictorial on how to shorten the return spring to tighten the throttle feel. Did you try that?
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I'll dig into it more.

Quote:
just a very light throttle.

This is very true. Upon initial install, I barely had to touch the throttle, but it has noticeably more resistance as I depress the pedal further. This may be a sign of something hanging up as well.

I was driving to work this morning and had to get in the office. I will take a look on my lunch break.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

OK, so how difficult is it to make the "EFI wiring harness modifications" for an early 1.9L? Question
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

I don't know exactly how difficult it is, but I remember a different thread where 10cent said it was relatively easy and he didn't understand why it didn't come equipped appropriately. I think. Could be completely wrong. But, 10cent.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

All seemed to be functioning as it should after disconnecting cable and checking TB for any hang ups. Van sat in the 60-70deg parking lot at work and then I drove 125 miles to the beach and never had the issue. Woke up this morning to a crisp 40 deg and high idle had returned. Disconnected the cable and tried to get the TB to repeat the symptoms and couldn't do it. I have the stock tension spring attached from the plenum to the TB. Accelerater cable has never been changed in the 14 years I've owned the van so I may swap in my spare, but I'm troubled by the coincidence of the cable now being bad right after my TB was changed out. Would a vacuum leak when cold cause this?

Thanks everybody!
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Check your temp 2 sensor.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

What should the resistance be on the temp II?

I'm getting 1.1 ohms on a warm motor.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Temp II sensor is at 5.9 ohms cold.

I'm wondering if I've been dealt a funky Thottle Position Switch. It clicked just off idle position once and again at full throttle, but when I made the movement again, no click just off idle. Only clicks consistently at full throttle position. I may pull the TB to investigate further. TPS does not look to be adjustable when the TB is in the vehicle. Rolling Eyes

Emailed Gowesty and got a less than helpful reply: "Did you try adjusting the idle screw?" It may be time to just call Gowesty.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

I had a temp sender fail at operating temp. Took a while figure out since it checked fine at temps below 140. There are cheap and easy to replace.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Pulled the thottle body and adjusted the TPS to click just off idle as it's supposed to. Problem seems to have been resolved and I can now swap a TB in 5 minutes or less. Laughing

GW offered to ship a new TB free of charge with return shipping of the old one pre-paid. They also informed me that high idle can be a result of the TPS not functioning properly.
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

I note that GoWesty now offers a "brand new" billet aluminum throttle body. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24718
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

IoWesty wrote:
I note that GoWesty now offers a "brand new" billet aluminum throttle body. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24718

Almost every post on this page is about that unit...
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle body replacement recommendation. Reply with quote

Quote:
What should the resistance be on the temp II?

I'm getting 1.1 ohms on a warm motor.

Quote:
Temp II sensor is at 5.9 ohms cold.

It's supposed to be about 2.5-3kohm at room temp, higher if colder, and around 200-250ohm at running temp. You have a bad one or you're testing it wrong.

Quote:
I have the stock tension spring attached from the plenum to the TB.

There's an easy mod that improves throttle closure and makes spring tension lighter as the throttle opens. Make a stout wire loop, or use a hose clamp, around the top of the PCV tower, and move the return spring anchor point there. That moves the direction of pull more CCW at idle, so there is more pulling tension at closed throttle, then as throttle is opened, spring tension is progressively less, so less effort to hold the pedal down at cruising rpms.

Quote:
I don't know exactly how difficult it is, but I remember a different thread where 10cent said it was relatively easy and he didn't understand why it didn't come equipped appropriately. I think. Could be completely wrong. But, 10cent.

Yes I'v explained this before, the TBS circuit is a simple switch, one wire is 5V from the ECU and the switch merely connects that to the other wire which returns to the grounding bus inside the ECU; essentially the TB signal as the ECU senses it is to ground that 5V line. Digijet or -fant, it's just a 2-wire simple-switched binary circuit, Digijet just has each wire leg split to go to the two parallel switches. To adapt the late-style single switch to Digijet, you just connect one leg on either side of the switch, an EV1 connector can be added if the mod is permanant. It couldn't be simpler and I'm amazed that a vendor can't, or won't, explain something so elementary to customers so they could sell more throttle bodies.

EV1 connector kit:
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/943

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: