Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct finish for misc engine parts
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

I'm putting together the S motor for my 64 and I'm trying to determine the correct factory finishes for some of the parts and pieces that have either been lost and replaced, painted, or rusted over the years.

I realize that a lot of people posting in this forum don't care about these details. I get that.

I'm looking for correct finishes for:

a) distributor clamp (black or zinc?)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

b) the clamps used for the intake boots to the air cleaner. (thinking zinc)

c) clamps for the boots to these exhaust elbows. I have NOS and they're a factory flat grey paint?!?

64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

The grey paint on the elbows is proper, and that goes for the early parts pictured and the later elbows, as well. It's a high zinc paint that the stock muffler systems were finished in.

The distributor clamp is an interesting question. My wife's '65 Type 14 distributor clamp was painted black, but I have a pile of those Type 3 clamps and some are painted, and some are not. I was going to go painted, including the sleeve, and use a black oxide nut.

Curious to see what others have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
The grey paint on the elbows is proper, and that goes for the early parts pictured and the later elbows, as well. It's a high zinc paint that the stock muffler systems were finished in.

How about the clamps?
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
52 BSA C11G
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

I do not know for your exact model.....but items like the distributor clamp....both from a "what I remember"....what I still have.....and how things have aged/decayed over the years.........I would say they are zinc + something else. But they do not seem to have normal zinc plate characteristics.

What is the most probable....just from how they AGE.....is that they are white cadmium with some light passivating layer over the top.

I note how they age....because over time they develop a white dusty/dull look. When they get wet and sit for long periods they bloom out with white corrosion that look like thin crusty salt.

This is characteriatic of cadmium. One thing I have realized over the years....is that if these are cadmium......that white residue is VERY toxic and will bio accumulate in your system. Wire wheeling should nit be done. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

I just finished cleaning up the clamp on my 64. It was black. The head of the bolt was black too. The nut and the tube were zinc plated. Pretty sure it's original, nobody would have bothered to paint it back in the day when it was running.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by bobnorman on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

That distributor clamp in that pic looks amazing. Like new spot on restoration. That kind of gleaming part is hard to find. Simply stunning.

The elbow clamps are rough zinc - the old ones. But Ive seen that goldish shit and chromish too. But those should be later replacement parts.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

I have seen replacement clamps that were painted black. Type 3 clamps got replaced often as owners/mechanics over-tightened them and broke off the little weld or tab keeping the bolt from rotating. On a Bug or Bus you just used two wrenches, but the location on the T3 made that impossible, so they had to be replaced or welded. So the black one could be NOS, or it could be an aftermarket or replacement part.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
That distributor clamp in that pic looks amazing. Like new spot on restoration. That kind of gleaming part is hard to find. Simply stunning.

What a d*ck! Smile
Yes. Nice job, Jason. Is there a finish on the barrel and nut or are they wire wheeled and raw?
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
52 BSA C11G
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

That style distributor clamp was originally black. I have a bag of old ones.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct finish for misc engine parts Reply with quote

Envious wrote:
notchboy wrote:

What a d*ck! Smile
Yes. Nice job, Jason. Is there a finish on the barrel and nut or are they wire wheeled and raw?

Bwaa. Laughing

Wire wheel raw. Satin Black paint.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: