Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjdineen88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Hello All,

I replaced my heater core this summer, and in the process I think I may have broken the clock spring. I have airbag and abs/esp lights that won't go away, and the horn doesn't work.

The replacement part runs close to $500 everywhere I can find it...does anyone know of a cheaper source? I'd rather not drop $500 when I don't know for sure if it will fix my problem. Also if anyone can suggest ways to test the clock spring, I'd appreciate any tips. I plan to check the airbag harness continuity next time I take it apart.

Thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

I don't know for sure but VW has a tendency to take advantage of their vast parts bin. I would take a look at possible cross referencing it to a Golf, Jetta, or Passat & try to source it through a local pick-a-part.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Maybe take the part number and put it in Alibaba? You never know.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

At $500 - you're pretty close to just buying a whole parts van.

I'm still trying to find a cost reasonable solution - such as using one of these from another VW. The Eurovan unit, from all that I know - is unique to the van. Its shape and form factor allow it to fit into the back of the steering wheel, where as on Jetta/Golf/Passats the unit is larger/different and covered by a cowling. So there is some hope there to retrofit a different clockspring/sensor - but it may take some serious fiddling.

There was some talk on this topic before (where I've posted pics of my failed unit), here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646985&start=0
d-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Afaik the esp clock spring with steering angle sensor is unique to the T4, I spent a while looking at the parts catalogue because I need this to make my horn work!

Would love to be proven wrong on this, so please post up if you find a match. I would also buy your broken clockspring if you manage to find a replacement!

Have you checked with VCDS what faults are showing, or looked to see if there is a calibration procedure?
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

See if these guys can help you out looks like they have a whole van for parts.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/REAR-WIPER-MOTOR-LIFTGATE-F...mp;vxp=mtr

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

d-9 wrote:
Afaik the esp clock spring with steering angle sensor is unique to the T4, I spent a while looking at the parts catalogue because I need this to make my horn work!

Would love to be proven wrong on this, so please post up if you find a match. I would also buy your broken clockspring if you manage to find a replacement!

Have you checked with VCDS what faults are showing, or looked to see if there is a calibration procedure?

Yes - the unit failed internally. I was chasing codes and such as well - finally I had to open it up to see if I could fix it myself (I can't). Board level failure - traces rubbed off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I figure out a fix/replacement -- then (@D-9) I'd be willing to swap it for a power-equipped side view mirror (RHD version).
d-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Hah I'll see what I can do itsamoto
sjdineen88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Well thank you for all the replies, but I ended up taking it to my local Westy shop (Peace Vans, Seattle) due to time constraints on my end, and not wanting to be on the hook if I mangle another $500 part trying to install it... The bad news is their part cost was ~$600 and they wouldn't take an owner provided part. The good news is I have my horn, ESP, ABS, and airbag back.

FYI if you have an ESP equipped van, the part is ~$500. If it doesn't have ESP the part is ~$200. I do wonder how hard it would be to modify the non-ESP part to work...
sjdineen88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

The non-ESP part is one part number different...they might be pretty similar.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

There is hope! According to the german T4 wiki - the arrow here is pointing to the ESP device that is part of the steering angle sensor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

My 02 eurovan needs a new clock spring, will not pass inspection. The clock spring is no longer manufactured. Its the one with EPS. I have called mutliple junk yards, searched everywhere high and low, called eurovan mechanics. No one can help me. The car runs fine, do I just junk it!? I'm so bummed its valued at 6k but now it seems its value is 0 bc of this.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Won't pass inspection because it has CEL's??? I see the non-ESP clock spring is still available.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/Air-Bag-Clockspring/49106316/7D0959653.html

The NLA PN is 7D0959654. I guess if the non-ESP is suitable, you guys with ESP-equipped vans should buy one now before they also go NLA . . . .

Reading some other threads I think all you lose is the more sophisticated aspects of ESP - yaw control, engine modulation. You still have fourwheel ABS and lo-speed traction control on the front wheels.

For instance, all EVC's were imported without ESP, but still had fourwheel ABS and lo-speed traction control, airbags. I bet the EVC uses 7D0959653.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

This is an issue that will keep coming up -- as I believe the traces on the ESP wheel position sensor (clockspring) wear off over time.

I donated my failed unit to Doug at VAR PARTS to have him see if he could come up with a replacement board -- to make this a repairable situation for all of us - rather than a $500 part. He thinks he can do something to fix this.

Doug seems like a good guy with a good little business - doing mods on ECU's etc. I had an immobilizer II issue with one of my vans (broke the chip in key trying to fix it) and it was cheaper/easier to send him the ECU to do an immo delete than to get Vagtacho to read the SKU (it can't!).

Anyhow, maybe inquire with him and see if he can do a board level repair of the traces. I think if more of us contact him and he knows the demand for this fix is real -- he may prioritize the fix.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

I did look into the non esp clockspring

View Air Bag Clockspring Full-Sized Product Image
Part Number: 7D0959653
Supersession(s): 7D0-959-653

Not even close for fitmet, has anybody got this to fit
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
My 02 eurovan needs a new clock spring, will not pass inspection. The clock spring is no longer manufactured. Its the one with EPS. I have called mutliple junk yards, searched everywhere high and low, called eurovan mechanics. No one can help me. The car runs fine, do I just junk it!? I'm so bummed its valued at 6k but now it seems its value is 0 bc of this.

it shouldn't be causing a CEL...what specifically isn't your van passing inspection for? Mine needs replaced...and don't have any issues with inspection.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Actually you are correct

the lack of a decent clockspring, does not effect my inspectability
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/products/Audi/Ca...59654.html

I have no experience with this vendor, but it appears they have the air bag clockspring with steering sensor for the 2002-3 EV. Good luck!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Thanks I did go and hit that link, looks to be the last few left until they can be cloned

Sam
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

actually the part on that link is no longer available

The soviets have some it appears

sam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: