Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
okartguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

The time draws nigh, and I've been doing my best to get my bus prepped in spite of the oppressive heat (even late at night!). The last things on my list are a new O2 sensor, fresh VCGs, and a new fuel filter.

Looks like my daughter Katy and I will hit the road early Thursday morning to beat the heat. We'll head out 412 through the OK panhandle and on up through Raton pass, with plans to meet up with BusBoyJake and camp somewhere around Alamosa on Thursday evening.

Looking forward to meeting y'all next Friday!

'75 Westfalia "Project Orange Peel" https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10164122#10164122
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I decided to try out the Off Road Park at Tuttle Creek Reservoir this evening for a little practice...

I'd driven the bus down there in the past, but only when it was dry. Today we had a lot of rain so it was pretty muddy with thick, sticky clay. The trail down the hill was flint rock and not too bad.

Well, I got stuck down there for a bit! I knew the mud would be challenging as I got down there and saw just how mucky it was. So I tried what I thought would be a good turn around spot. Nope! The mud was slippery enough that I couldn't steer properly and it got stuck in some plants.

Luckily I was eventually able to reverse out of there and to a flattish spot that allowed me to get enough momentum that if I kept the engine revving, the wheels would spin enough in the mud fast enough to crawl along. Whew!

Once I made it back to the rocky part, the bus climbed up with no problem. If I hadn't switched to the AT2 tires I'd have been sunk for sure!

Because I was flustered about being stuck, I didn't bother to take any pics. But I did stop both on the way down and at the top of the hill.

As long as we aren't slogging through sticky mud, I think we'll be fine! And no more off road park in the Bus if the ground is wet and sloppy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

nice photos ! You'll be good..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Jackson is also excited! He loves camping in the bus and off-road driving! Look at that smile! (And look at that front wheel!)

I'm getting a little nervous about the camp and stuff for work, but still optimistic that I'll be able to make it! I've had to be the mean boss and yell at (not really, but I have had to be a little stern...) them to get the paperwork and client's meds in and all that so we can be all ready to go.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

WOW! This trip is going to be epic with all these busses! We're planning to head out early Friday morning, so we should be at the meet-up spot before noon. Can't wait!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

cdollar wrote:
WOW! This trip is going to be epic with all these buses!

No doubt! I'm hoping to leave my house around 9ish on Friday so I should be there when you arrive.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Volksaddict is coming in his badass 1958 DD WT !
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:

Where is the "like" button?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Serious rain and flooding here in Fremont County. Are you getting the same? Concerned about wash outs and high water crossings...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

It's been raining here just about everyday for a month now. That's one of the reasons I decided to change the start time to 9 and changed the route from Bolam less to Roaring Fork. The water crossing Is fun and really shouldn't be a problem.

How the day go with your bus, did you get it running better and the 1/2 shaft replaced?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
KCW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

mtnbus wrote:

OH MAN!!!!! I am so ready to head to Durango!!!! I plan on hitting town around noon..... Probably stop at Bubba's first... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Then cruise over to Rusty's maybe? Be at the camp spot.. Say.. Just after 4pm would be nice. Wink I imagine a bunch of people will be there by then!! Wink
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Made progress yesterday, had to install a used 1/2 shaft as the one I had done at the machine shop had a frozen end (I'm not happy). Cleaned the carburetor out so I should be ready to roll. Have to deal with flooding issues today at rental property. The real issue is getting enough miles on the engine before I go over mountains and valleys. I may end up bringing my Rat truck , its sort of Baja style. Would it be welcome?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

It has a stinger exhaust now, its pretty tough. SB pan, so clearance in stock...honest opinions please

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

OF course I'll have the good taste not travel with the Bus pack. I'll be at the end of the line (picking up cig butts and trash) as not to mess up any pictures...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Would it be welcome ...honest opinions please

That things a beast! The event is open to all VWs that can handle off road driving.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I'm out, my shit's all fucked up right now. Have a great time!!
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:
busboyjake wrote:
richparker wrote:
@warejn: Not sure whos coming from the Denver area but busboyjake, greenmtnjakes and Bulli Klinki are all coming from the Colorado Springs area. Maybe you could hook with one of them, or all of them.

You're definitely welcome to follow us down. We'll post plans when we get them together. It would be nice to get there a bit early like we did a couple of years ago and watch folks arrive.

If we're able to make, we'd like to slide in the line as well if you don't mind. We're over in the south aurora area and can meet up with just about anywhere.

I'll be headed down after our vw cruise in the springs Thursday evening. I'll be meeting with okartguy and whomever else wants to camp somewhere west of Walsenburg. We'll meet up with you guys Friday morning and we can all head west if you like. Greenmtnjakes is headed down early Friday morning if you'd like to meet up with him.

It sounds like BBM is feeding us all with his fishing skills Saturday - if I read that right.

Looking forward to this!!!!!!!
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:

It sounds like BBM is feeding us all with his fishing skills Saturday - if I read that right.

Looking forward to this!!!!!!!

Ha, that would be awesome, but bring food just in case!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I'm out, my shit's all fucked up right now. Have a great time!!

Say it ain't so Manfred.

Link

Super excited for the trip. Really stoked all the people coming from the east are gonna hook up and carabus to Durango together. Thank all you guys for rallying together for a crazy time in the mountains with a bunch of crazy VW owners.

Just want to remind everyone it's the temps will be mild and most likely rain everyday, good mountain rain though! Be prepared as you can, if you don't have it, one of us will. Can't wait to see everyone on Friday/Saturday. Thanks again everyone!

Is this the final list?!?!?

richparker/Rich P & Family/'68 tin top westy
Mtnbus/Bubba & Hugo/'59 DD camper
cdollar/Chris Dollar/'57 westy
busboyjake/Greg/'78 Westy
greenmtnjakes/Chad/'78 Westy
vwwestyman/Dave Cook/'78 TDI powered Westy
okartguy/'77 Westy
YellowCOwesty/Bill
MrGas/Vanagon
jamtonio/'71 9 seater
Buskatier + 4 Splits!!!
Eric M/'84 Country Conversions Vangon +2!!!
Big bus Mike & Poise
camit34 / '71 Westy w/a fresh 1914! / Aaron & Family
KCW + 3 / stoked to meet these guys!
Pheal/'75 Westy
volksaddict/ '58 DD WT
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

bummer Manfred..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: