Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

The trip is 4 weeks out, here's the updated list.

richparker/Rich P/'68 tin top westy
Manfred58SC/Manfred Bereuter/'69 Adventure Wagon
Mtnbus/Bubba & Hugo/'59 DD camper
cdollar/Chris Dollar/'57 westy
Bulli Klinik/Mike K/'68 Dormobile
busboyjake/Greg/'78 Westy
greenmtnjakes/Chad/'78 Westy
vwwestyman/Dave Cook/'78 TDI powered Westy
okartguy/'77 Westy
YellowCOwesty/Bill
MrGas/Vanagon
jamtonio/'71 9 seater
Buskatier + 4!!!
Eric M/'84 Country Conversions Vangon +2!!!
Big bus Mike
camit34 / '71 Westy Aaron, Wife Pam, 2.5 YO Raelyn
Scotty T/'63 Single Cab?
ahaughey?
Top Bud/Tony/'87 Syncro?
Gnarlodious/'83 Vanagon?
PB24ss/'78 Westy?
bretski?
jtauxe?
Pheal/'75 Westy?
Busaru/Mick?
warejn/if he heals?

Looking like a solid 22 buses plus. Great to see everyone rallying and making this year another great event! I was not expecting this many buses but I'm stoked to see the enthusiasm. I'm interested to know how many plan on making Friday nights camp out. Not sure if the spot I picked out can hold 22 buses. Shocked

Brain, sorry to hear you won't make it again. Best wishes to you and you'll be missed.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

I'm interested to know how many plan on making Friday nights camp out. Not sure if the spot I picked out can hold 22 buses. Shocked

Our plan is to drive down friday and back up on sunday.

camit34 wrote:
busboyjake wrote:
richparker wrote:
@warejn: Not sure whos coming from the Denver area but busboyjake, greenmtnjakes and Bulli Klinki are all coming from the Colorado Springs area. Maybe you could hook with one of them, or all of them.

You're definitely welcome to follow us down. We'll post plans when we get them together. It would be nice to get there a bit early like we did a couple of years ago and watch folks arrive.

If we're able to make, we'd like to slide in the line as well if you don't mind. We're over in the south aurora area and can meet up with just about anywhere.

Hoping this works out.

- Aaron
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I will be there for Friday night, maybe Junction Creek ( I think that is right,,,across from the north City market and west about 11 miles). I'm down to caravan with the Front range crowd as well, maybe a Salida meet up?
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Delete
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)

Last edited by camit34 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Sorry to hear that your having issues there Brian. I'm also dealing with vertigo/vision problems. I'm drinking Mezcal this morning to if that helps ...since nothing else does!!

I tried that route, Manfred... Laughing Temporary fix for me. Actually, I quit drinking, went on the Paleo Diet to lose weight (25 lbs since Dec. 30) but in March I was having trouble with my vision, especially when driving and a lot of pain behind my eyes. Went the allopathic route and was diagnosed with conjunctivitis. Did that protocol for a month with no change. Had my vision and eye glass prescription checked again and it was fine. ENT found I had a sinus infection, treated but no change.
At my wits end, I went to see a Doctor of Oriental Medicine and we have gotten to the root of the problem but not the solution yet. He has basically said, my nervous system was comparable to a bare wire with 220V running thru it. With that I was able to pinpoint when the problem started and that yes, I was so fookin' stressed out, along with the diet change, I was depleting the energy of major organs, especially in the gut (stomach, lower intestines, kidney and liver).
Slowly, I am coming back to health and less stress issues but my eyes now seem to pick up on the latter very quickly and then I lose my ability to focus and refocus along with pain below my eyes. All the smoke and bad air quality down here has not helped either.
Lately, I have been using Honey eye washes and even straight honey on the lids when I go to sleep. That seems to help some.
I see the DOM every week, so there is a possibility of enough change to make it but basically, I have resigned myself to this year being a washout.
Going to concentrate on healing, losing another 25lbs, working out and stretching.....I even broke down and began taking Yoga classes once a week along with Yvonne.
You know I have a tendency for anxiety issues and I sure as shite do not wish them upon myself anymore. It will work out in the end, just no time frame.
If I can, I will make it but not holding out to do so.
If I don't make it, you all have a great time and I will catch you down the road with a little surprise that I am doing to the Syncro. Very Happy
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Plenty of time for adventures after you get healed up Brian. Travelling when one is not well is not any fun. My vertigo has been caused by exposure to wind (common issue in older tall people). Easily fixed with ear muffs. I used to wonder why I would see older, tall guys with muffs on when they were out doors? Let the teasing begin.....I'm going to source some purple ones for my "Barney" phase. The Mezcal did not work, but it did not matter!

I reset my valves today and will attempt a short drive..wooo-hoooo!
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Plenty of time for adventures after you get healed up Brian. Travelling when one is not well is not any fun. My vertigo has been caused by exposure to wind (common issue in older tall people). Easily fixed with ear muffs. I used to wonder why I would see older, tall guys with muffs on when they were out doors? Let the teasing begin.....I'm going to source some purple ones for my "Barney" phase. The Mezcal did not work, but it did not matter!

I reset my valves today and will attempt a short drive..wooo-hoooo!

WooHoo! BTW, here you go Manfred...lol https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:...p;usqp=CAE

I must need goggles and nose plugs at my height then... Wink
Oddly enough, last night, Yvonne was looking at my face from the side as we sat on the couch and she noticed I had a eyelash growing into my right eye. She checked closer and it turned out it was 4 lashes growing into my eye. Today, I convinced her to pluck them and she did. My eye feels so much better. She is going to check the other eye tomorrow, so I may be back in. Going to give it a few days and decide if this has been the only thing causing all of the irritation.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warejn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I am down to one crutch and it looks promising.

I will be rolling in my 70' Baja Bug with a 3 year old and a 5 year old!
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Can't wait to get out of the heat down here in Phoenix! We're leaving Wednesday and coming up through ramah, nm and then onto chaco canyon before meeting up with you guys. We're then staying Sunday night in chama, nm, Monday in Abiquiu, nm, and then home. If anyone would care to join us you're more than welcome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Well I managed to back up 20 feet under its own power. The clutch needs adjusted and the needle and seat are clogged in the carburetor . Otherwise it sounds really good. I will have more time early next week to solve these issues. I'm feeling good for now. The "old guard" of VW's will represent , even if I have to listen to enormous amounts of vintage Biohazard, Celtic Frost, and Sepultura to stay on target.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I am not too sure if I can make it. I started a remodel on the house and planned on finishing it up in the summer. Then I had some fun opportunities come my way and put the house and the van on the back burner. I will see what I can get done in the next two weeks, but I may have another fun opportunity, if that's the case, I will not make it. I'll keep you all posted.
I just ran into a guy on the Arkansas river and he told me about the first year show:

FOr those of you guys in CO, you should check it out. Seems super cool. Great boating from there, if you are into that thing. http://www.bristolbrewing.com/events/buses-royal-gorge/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I am not too sure if I can make it

Go Tony Go!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

That Bridges show is right next to me, I know the organizer, he will make it a fun event. I'm committed to other activities then otherwise I would go.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Today he boy and I took the bus up FR 578 and over Bolam Pass to Rico. It was a 140 mile round trip for us and took us a total of 6 hrs. It took us 3.75 hrs to get from Purgatory to Rico, which is a bit longer then I expected. The first part is a nice dirt road slowly but surely it does turn into a rough 4X road, with two water crossings. My bus made it with no issues, it was a slow 6+ miles and I had to be smart about choosing my lines. We all are gonna have to be smart about our driving and he well prepared. Passenger car tires will not be smart for this trip, 8 ply C rated, LT of AT tires are going to be a must. The Pass was full of big sharp rocks and I stopped 3 times to more rocks and once to stack some rocks as a ramp to make a small ledge. There is a nice alpine lake about 2 hours from the campsite that has enough room for us all to have lunch break at. The decent was just as thrilling as the climb. Smart driving, good brakes and good clutch work is a must!

This 6+ mile section will be the most challenging. The rest of the trip will be mellow dirt roads and a 40+ min drive on Hwy 145.

Changes and must haves:
New Saturday start time of 9am. The Pass will be difficult in the rain.
C rated, LT or AT tires
A good brake system that is well adjusted
A good running well sorted rig. No cell service where we are going.
This is a 4X road and you're gonna need your wits about you.

Here are some pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

The camp site I'm thinking for Friday night is big enough to fit as many buses that show up. It is right across from Sig Creek campground and it the road to the left Pinkerton sign in this photo. If it is taken there are several more large sites just past this one. I'll be marking the site with a cone and a flag.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Thanks for the scouting! Looks beautiful.
KCW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I'm rounding up the troops from the Grand Junction area... I hope we can get 3 or 4 busses to go...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

^Sounds great, we'd love to have you guys come out! I signed up on the KCW site to comment on the thread there but I have yet to receive the email with the link, C'est la vie.

There is an alternate route that can be taken if it rains too much and we can make the Pass. Or if some of the group wants to split off and not do the Pass, or if there's a total upheaval and no one wants to do the Pass. That call can be made at camp. I'm down for either way, it's everyone's trip. I just want people to enjoy themselves, whatever happens is cool with me.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
pheall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I hope I can make it the 5th! Good to see you on Saturday

KCW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
^Sounds great, we'd love to have you guys come out! I signed up on the KCW site to comment on the thread there but I have yet to receive the email with the link, C'est la vie.

There is an alternate route that can be taken if it rains too much and we can make the Pass. Or if some of the group wants to split off and not do the Pass, or if there's a total upheaval and no one wants to do the Pass. That call can be made at camp. I'm down for either way, it's everyone's trip. I just want people to enjoy themselves, whatever happens is cool with me.

Rich P.

Try it now... I have to OK every one who signs up or I end up with some spamers... not smart enough to know how to correct that... that goes for anyone.. If you have signed up and haven't heard from me.. then email me and I will ok it...

Hell no... I say we do the hardest routes, bring straps and drag people out if need be!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: