Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

This years Colorado off road adventure is happening one again in the San Juan National Forest! But, this year we are gonna bring it all the way to the SW part of the state. The route will be the usual forest roads, fun and camping.

This adventure will start on FR578, north of Durango. You will have to enter Puratory Ski Area, drive up to the upper lots and bare right to hit FR578. From here you will take your first right then first left towards Sig Creek Camp Ground (just follow the main tracks). Just across from Sig Creek CG there is a very nice spot for many buses to gather and camp, there's even a nice waterfall. This is where we will meet on Friday the 4th for a campout for those who can make it. Saturday we'll shoot for a 10 am departure time, which will be the time of the final meet up. The route will consist of taking Hermosa Park Rd (aka FR578 and CR579) all the way to Highway 145. Once at 145 we will head southwest towards the historic town of Rico. We will pass through Rico and Stoner, stopping for pics of course, then turn north on CR38 (aka Dunton Rd and 535). We will drive up CR38 for a bit and set up camp in one of the large areas of the river. There will most likely be some good fishing at or near the camp area. So bring your fly rods, if that's your thing. Sunday we will will also shoot for a 10 am departure time and continue heading north on CR38. We will drive past Dunton up and over the Meadows and drop back down onto Hwy 145. From here people are on their own to get back home. However if there is interest we could head over to Telluride and do a good bus bomb, those rich yippies would love that!

This trip is open to all VW buses or Vanagons stock height or higher, Baja bugs and any other street legal Vw that can handle off roading. This is a fun family event, so bring your kids and dogs (good dogs only please). It's all about the fun!

Dates: 8/4 - 8/6
Weather: might be sunny, might rain, might hale, might snow, be prepared!
Final departure: 9am Sat across from Sig Creek CG
Any changes, even minor ones, will be posted

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome trip.

We're moving and selling a house in April so that gives me 3+ months to get my sh$t together...
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

We'll miss it this year due to a monster road trip, but we're in for next year! Thanks for putting something cool together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Hoping to make it again this year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Once again I'm going to post in this thread because I really want to be able to make it!

I don't remember exactly when the camp is that I'm in charge of off the top of my head (that info is at work) but I'm sure it is the week following.

Hopefully I'll be able to have everything ready this year to be able to make it.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ahaughey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I'm planning to be there. Glad to hear there is a function in the neighborhood. Sounds awesome!

Last edited by ahaughey on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Awesome route, Rich! Count us in. That is one of the few areas of the San Juans that I've not explored. Should be a blast!
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Great route Richie ! Count me in !
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

If everything is done by then, We will be there. On the list to do is rebuilt tranny, rebuild or new engine. Lots to do!! looking forward to it
Thanks
Tony
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I am into it! Still working on the Syncro, if you can believe it! I am waiting on one back ordered part for the cooling system but should have by Feb. I should be ready and may even have the Split ready, maybe.

I like the route but Rich, I am not certain about that "bare right" coming up to the first night campsite. Laughing Laughing

BTW, if anyone is interested, I would be spending a few more days after by heading down to Canyon of the Ancients and Mesa Verde, neither of which I have been to in over 40 years.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Will put that on my calendar, and follow this topic.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Yesssss!
okartguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

We're planning on making the trip out from Tulsa – This will be our family trip for the summer. To say I'm looking forward to this would be an understatement.

'75 Westfalia "Project Orange Peel" https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10164122#10164122
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I'm putting this on the calendar and planning on attending. It's been far too long since I've had a bus adventure.
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Sounds great Rich!! Count us in, my girls are stoked!

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1972 Tin Top 9 Passenger Deluxe
1978 Honda CT90
1978-ish Chrysler Snorunner
and usually a couple of stragglers...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

If the stars align, I might make an appearance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

big bus mike wrote:
If the stars align, I might make an appearance.

would be great to see you!
Buskatier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

There is a group of Buskatier buses coming to Colorado from Nebraska and Kansas that would be very interested in getting more info about this event. It would be in the middle of our annual 2 week trip and we discussed a SW Colorado location for our trip this year.
Could someone provide general distance and difficulty of the drive. I see the entry point in Durango and where you end in Rico. How many folks usually make the drive? Lots of info would be great.
Terry Wolfe
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Buskatier wrote:
There is a group of Buskatier buses coming to Colorado from Nebraska and Kansas that would be very interested in getting more info about this event. It would be in the middle of our annual 2 week trip and we discussed a SW Colorado location for our trip this year.
Could someone provide general distance and difficulty of the drive. I see the entry point in Durango and where you end in Rico. How many folks usually make the drive? Lots of info would be great.
Terry Wolfe

Hello Terry,
Thanks for inquiring about the trip and I will answer your questions the best I can. I did not map out the distance of this years trip but my guess would be around 50-60 miles of driving on both forest service dirt roads and paved roads. Extra fuel will not be necessary and there is a gas station in Rico for those who would like to fuel up. As far as the difficulty of the forest service roads, they are fairly well maintained and a stock height bus/Vanagon with correct rated tires will have no issues making the trip. There is one water crossing which we should have no issues crossing in August. Once we exit the Hermosa Park road onto Hwy 145 we will take the paved highway southwest to Road 38 and head north. Road 38 is also paved for the first 9 or so miles before it turns into a dirt road for the next 20 or so miles. We will camp maybe 15 or so miles up Rd 38 on the Westfork of the Dolores River. There are many large areas to camp and we will pick one that has enough room to fit our group when we get there. Since we will be in the National Forest, camping will be free both nights. At this point we have no idea on what the weather will be. I recommend you be self sufficient and be prepared for any type of weather, after all we are in Colorado. This is the 4th year of the event and the number of buses joining has varied. The first year there were 12 buses, the second year there were 13 buses, the third year 8 buses camped and 5 buses went on the trip. As far as this year, there seems to be a good response and I would guess somewhere around 10 to 15 buses (maybe more).

This is a fun family event so bring your children along if you'd like. We'd love to have you guys join us if you can make it. If you have other question please feel free to ask.

I'm stoked to see the early enthusiasm from all who have posted, thanks to everyone!

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I'm in, how about a list? Any update on the fate of the Rico hot tub? I heard the property sold....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: