Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I do the first start on the new engine tomorrow! A little bit of interior work and I'm ready to roll.

I'm doing the same thing! Good luck to you. Sunday is my day of reckoning with the motor!!!

"The more walking-around money I have, the less I walk around."
-Iggy Pop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Good luck everyone who is working on motors!

Mine, so far, has been doing good since I installed the stud kit. Hopefully it will stay that way!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

jamtonio wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
I do the first start on the new engine tomorrow! A little bit of interior work and I'm ready to roll.

I'm doing the same thing! Good luck to you. Sunday is my day of reckoning with the motor!!!

Niice!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

How's that new engine Manfred? Is it as quite as the last one? Smile
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Busaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Boy, I'd really love to make this trip! I have a major trip planned in mid August so it might be tough but it'd be rad to hang with y'all and see some awesome rigs.

Cheers,
Mick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

The word is good, sounds powerful. Having some fuel delivery issues and its been very rainy as of late ( so my achy old bones really want a warmer day..granted!). Still have a bit of interior work to do, but hope to be driving it in May so the new engine is well broken in by launch date.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

That's great Manfred! I just broke 9k on my engine, still keeping my the fingers crossed though I have a bunch of trips planned and I'm hoping things last. Shocked
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

This build will hold up for you, obviously your builder is talented. The broken crank is just bad luck, I had a new cam break for no apparent reason, at idle. Tore the engine down and could not find any cause for failure, put in another cam and all good. Even VW had strange failures right off the line.
warejn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Hey Everyone, I am planning on heading over from the front range. Is anyone else making the drive?

I just rolled 500 miles on a fresh motor in my Baja so fingers are crossed.
ahaughey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Has anyone been over Bolam pass this year? I went over two years ago with my lifted 2wd westy with a Suby 2.5 and it was sketchy.
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Got my motor finished and put back in. Sticky oil pressure relief plungers have blown 2 oil coolers though. Set backs for sure, but finding solutions. This is the trip we are working towards for sure!!! So close to being ready I can smell the pines and exhaust!!! Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"The more walking-around money I have, the less I walk around."
-Iggy Pop
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

@warejn: Not sure whos coming from the Denver area but busboyjake, greenmtnjakes and Bulli Klinki are all coming from the Colorado Springs area. Maybe you could hook with one of them, or all of them.

@ahaughey: I haven't been over Bolam this year but I have done it in the past. There are some technical sections but I think we'll be ok. The section of Rd 38 between Dunton and Hwy 145 is also kinda technical and the switchbacks down to the Hwy are tight. There will definitely be some driving skills involved on this route, but nothing a well maintained bus (AC or WC) shouldn't be able to do. I hope you make it, I'd like to meet you and your Westy.

@jamtonio: That engine bay looks super clean, it won't look that way after the trip. Very Happy A couple of years back Peaceful Warrior took pics of all the dirty engines at camp on sat night, they were some awesome shots. Those Grabbers look hot!

We're about 10 weeks away from the trip now and I'm stoked! In the coming weeks I'll post a list of the people that said they were coming and we can all edit it. A list is good to have so we know who's coming and don't leave without anyone.

Thanks everyone!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

I' still planning on coming, will be driving down from Fort Collins.

Bill

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

yellowCOwesty wrote:
I' still planning on coming, will be driving down from Fort Collins.

Bill

Sweet! Good to see you getting that bus out on the trail.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
@warejn: Not sure whos coming from the Denver area but busboyjake, greenmtnjakes and Bulli Klinki are all coming from the Colorado Springs area. Maybe you could hook with one of them, or all of them.

You're definitely welcome to follow us down. We'll post plans when we get them together. It would be nice to get there a bit early like we did a couple of years ago and watch folks arrive.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Make sure you post those plans here! Especially any early-meetup plans, as I may try to join in.

Things are rolling well for me having our camp ready to go in time for me to be able to come! No promises just yet, but I'm doing my best!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
warejn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Well, I have a hiccup. I had a little crash on a bike and now I am getting some surgery on Tuesday. I am not sure If I will be able to negotiate a clutch!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

What's everyone! The trip is about 8 weeks out and I wanted to start a list of who's gonna make it. Nothing is set on stone, the list is good to have so we don't leave without anyone. This is a list I've compiled from the posts on the thread. Please feel free to update the list with your info if you're coming and not on it or on it and not coming. The names with the ? Are those who posted but did not commit, so don't be afraid to update the list.

richparker/Rich P/'68 tin top westy
Manfred58SC/Manfred Bereuter/'69 Adventure Wagon
Mtnbus/Bubba & Hugo/'59 DD camper
cdollar/Chris Dollar/'57 westy
Peaceful worrier/Brian Lewis/'87 syncro
Bulli Klinik/Mike K/'68 Dormobile
busboyjake/Greg/'78 Westy
greenmtnjakes/Chad/'78 Westy
vwwestyman/Dave Cook/'78 TDI powered Westy
okartguy/'77 Westy
YellowCOwesty/Bill
MrGas/Vanagon
Samroon/Sam Rooney/'70 Tin Top Westy
jamtonio/'71 9 seater
ahaughey?
Top Bud/Tony/'87 Syncro?
Gnarlodious/'83 Vanagon?
PB24ss/'78 Westy?
Big bus Mike/Mike?
bretski?
jtauxe?
Pheal/'75 Westy?
Busaru/Mick?
warejn/if he heals?
Buskatier/Terry Wolfe and bus crew from Nebraska?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

richparker/Rich P/'68 tin top westy
Manfred58SC/Manfred Bereuter/'69 Adventure Wagon
Mtnbus/Bubba & Hugo/'59 DD camper
cdollar/Chris Dollar/'57 westy
Peaceful worrier/Brian Lewis/'87 syncro
Bulli Klinik/Mike K/'68 Dormobile
busboyjake/Greg/'78 Westy
greenmtnjakes/Chad/'78 Westy
vwwestyman/Dave Cook/'78 TDI powered Westy
okartguy/'77 Westy
YellowCOwesty/Bill
MrGas/Vanagon
Samroon/Sam Rooney/'70 Tin Top Westy
jamtonio/'71 9 seater
Buskatier + 4!!!
ahaughey?
Top Bud/Tony/'87 Syncro?
Gnarlodious/'83 Vanagon?
PB24ss/'78 Westy?
Big bus Mike/Mike?
bretski?
jtauxe?
Pheal/'75 Westy?
Busaru/Mick?
warejn/if he heals?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Epic crew, good times!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: