Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

Anything exciting for this years Bug O Rama. Anyone know if more food trucks will be present. Hopefully an extra large swap meet.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the show. It's been a few years since I've made the trip. Anything else going on over the weekend?
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

I'll be there. Hope the weather holds out.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

Man seems like it will be a dud this year with little or no interest. I get it with the Good Guys in town, Luke Air Force Base air show and all of the spring training games goin on why go to Bug O Rama.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

I'm headed out there. No joke, I thought it was today and couldnt figure out why the place was a ghost town save a few drag trucks waiting to get in at gate 3.....Got my bonehead move for the year out of the way Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

. Please remove
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.

Last edited by OvalinAz on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

Please remove

EverettB wrote:

Pandraggers C.C.

Last edited by OvalinAz on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

The turnout was not as vibrant as in years past for sure. The swaps were still pretty good though. My gal and I noticed there was 1/2 the amount of show VW's in the grassy area than in years past too.

I'm not sure why this was other than all the other things going on in town this day. The $45 dollars for us to get in and park was borderline high. I get the costs of renting the facility. IDK, I really only go for the swaps and look at the nicer VW's.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

Yes, swap was normal size or maybe even a bit larger than last year.
I found a few things for pretty cheap.

I didn't show a car but I think it was cheaper to show a car this year?
It wasn't any extra to put a car in the show from what I saw on the website pricing.

Show turnout seemed much smaller to me when I was over there.
The grassy area wasn't green grass, which was weird, but obviously not under the control of the show promoters.

Weather was nice, AZ cold in the morning but never got super hot on the pavement like past years.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
gt1953 wrote:
Man seems like it will be a dud this year with little or no interest. I get it with the Good Guys in town, Luke Air Force Base air show and all of the spring training games goin on why go to Bug O Rama.

i'm only going for the Swap. my club is boycotting it, to me its really only been good the last couple years for the swap
im curious why your club would boycott the oldest Vw show in Az? My kids and I went and I thought the swap meet was pretty good, the car show was ok, but the drag races were better than they have been in a long time, I’ve been going to this event since ‘91 and it has definitely changed but I’m always happy to go to an event that still does it all old school with racing, a show,and a swap meet. We had a great time and look forward to next year!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

cousineddy wrote:
im curious why your club would boycott the oldest Vw show in Az?

Here in CA BOR boycott has been happening due to promoters not listening to the community. Many have been unhappy with how the shows have been run for a long time, add the huge prices to get in and the dwindling swap and people no longer think its worth it. Like politics the only way to make your opinion heard is by voting with your wallet.

I personally would not complain if the swap was good but they are not.

The BugInn folks at least are listening and tried a Prado like event, too bad it was a bust too.

What I think is that the community will support the non profit events where proceeds are going to charity, the for profit shows are a dying breed.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

From the Bug O Rama Site;

We will be having DHP VW club hand pick the “THE TOP 25” awards to be handed out. So polish up that VW and come out to compete for one of the top 25 awards. The car show area is subject to availability so get there early!

OK so who got what awards...Never even seen a registration booth, never even saw a dash plaque.
The swap was fine and if you looked you could find what you wanted.
May attend in the future, its a long ways off.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

I saw the entry flyers at the pierside booth I think. I started looking for them after I saw people posting them on their windshields. The loud speaker said they would announce the winners at 1:30, but I was at the drags so didn't catch anything.

Like it, love it, or hate it.... I took some video. Please hold the don't quit your day job comments Very Happy No one has to watch..

Car Show/Swap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6o6v7ckhs4&t=21s

Drags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h18ejXS1zHY&t=175s
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama Reply with quote

Edited

EverettB wrote:

Pandraggers C.C.

Last edited by OvalinAz on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

I guess I can understand your perspectives,I had fun,my kids had fun,The cost didn’t bother me, we got to be submerged in all things Vw for an entire day, that’s awesome! Can’t ask for much more than that.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

Bock wrote:

Car Show/Swap

Link

Cool, thanks for doing a video.
I saw a few cars I missed at the show.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

To get to the show, we left at 1AM Thursday morning and drove 400 miles to Denver. Took an airplane to Phoenix sky harbor, rented a car found some lunch and stopped at a few bicycle shops. Spent the night at some friends house.
Friday we got some groceries, tried out the swimming pool (too cold for me) and went out looking at motorcycles at the Scottsdale Harley dealership then went to some other friends in Scottsdale.
Saturday we went to Good Guys
Sunday we went to the VW show through the day then visited relatives before supper at Wandering Horse Buffet.
Monday our flight left for Denver at 4AM then drove 400 miles to get back home for a 4PM meeting.
It was a great weekend. Loved the weather!!! There was snow on the ground in Denver and it rained most of the way back to Nebraska.
1962ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

I posted some pic's on Flick'r.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgeEPvm

I hadn't gone for a couple years, but it seemed like the attendance was down, but I thought the swap was good. The food selection was way better than the last time I went.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Phoenix Bug O Rama 2018 Reply with quote

Thanks for the video and pictures.
I even found a good notchback rear quarter panel in the swap meet. I was lucky and saw a guy in the swap area from Lincoln Nebraska that had driven his truck to Arizona by way of a Snowcat show in Aspen Colorado. We got our parts back home cheap.
I hope to be back next year. Maybe see an air show. Drive a segway around Scottsdale. Take in a Royals baseball game. See a complete VW show and have a giant jalapeno and cheese pretzel with a root beer float.
Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: