Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1835 camper engine
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Finally some progress on these builds so here goes.

Used AS41 line bored first over and thrust cut.
92mm AA hyper eutectic piston set 'A'
AA stock length cylinders
CB 69mm crank
Forged 8 dowel flywheel
Vw gland nut
Kennedy stage 1 and daiken disc
Khultek 5.4" I beams with 3/8 bolts
Web 218/119 on EP12 billet with Scat lightweight lifters with grooved oilways
Empi adjustable helical gears
Silver line double thrust cam bearings
Silver line mains and rod bearings
Shadek 26mm oil pump

Mofoco 35x32 040 fresh from Roy
Stock pushrods
Stock rockers bolt up shafts
Jaycee tubes

Shooting for 0.050” deck ~8.5:1 Cr

Pics incoming once I work out how to host on here...

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions all welcome Smile

Luke
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

1835cc in a VW bus? Just make sure to get sufficient air flow and engine cooling.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
1835cc in a VW bus? Just make sure to get sufficient air flow and engine cooling.

I'm assuming he means the AA 92 thick wall. At least I hope so Very Happy

Last November, I built a 1776 with that cam at 8.6CR with dual Kadrons and stock heater boxes in a 59 DD bus. Though I'm still dialing it in a bit, I'm very happy with this combo. Great low end, peppy around town and enough top end to quickly accelerate from 55-65 if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Ha yep well spotted, thick walls. 92mm case register, 94mm head so thiiiiiiiick walls Very Happy

40IDFs to go on here, exhaust wise... It'd be nice to go for a full BAS system, been seriously eyeing them up, not sure yet...
Let's get ty long block built!
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

BAS, and others like it, look really nice but WAY out of my price range. My current exhaust is 1.5" merged header with heater boxes. I'm on the hunt for a 1 3/8th's header which I think will be a better fit for my engine.

Looking forward to seeing your process!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Yeah I imagine a generic 1 3/8 will be used, certainly short term... We'll see, I just worked a lot of hours over Christmas and New Year Wink Very Happy
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

For a bus you want this: http://www.ahnendorp.com/Beetle-typ-1-engineparts-...-1828.html In the correct model for your vehichle of course.
- up to 15% more usable torque where you need it compared to a regular header. AND nice and quiet.
When we built an old school 1776 sgl port bus engine a couple of years back we focused a good deal on both hp to put some of the local naysayers to the wall, but of course also to get decent midrange power out of it. We used a regular 1 3/8" header and then made out own Tee for the use of 2 Citroen BX mufflers, one on each side. We spent a little time with getting the Tee correct cone from the flange to a 2" pipe to the mufflers, going back down again to 1 3/4" into the mufflers. It worked really well, but at the end of the day it - did - cost some lower midrange torque. No pictures sorry. We forgot to take some .

T

Last edited by Alstrup on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Finally some progress on these builds so here goes.

Used AS41 line bored first over and thrust cut.
CB 69mm crank
Forged 8 dowel flywheel
Vw gland nut
Khultek 5.4" I beams with 3/8 bolts
Shadek 26mm oil pump

Stock pushrods
Stock rockers bolt up shafts
Jaycee tubes

Shooting for 0.050” deck ~8.5:1 Cr

Pics incoming once I work out how to host on here...

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions all welcome Smile

Luke

Sounds like a nice combination, But consider 1968cc's:

Used AS41 line bored first over and thrust cut machine for full flow oiling
CB 69mm crank 4340 Forged Chromoly Super Race 74mm Crank
Forged 8 dowel flywheel
Vw gland nut
Khultek 5.4" I beams with 3/8 bolts CB 5.325" Super Race Type 1 H-Beam Rods from CB
Shadek 26mm oil pump with full flow remote oil filter Adapter with Steel Cover

Stock pushrods
Stock rockers bolt up shafts Scat Solid Rocker Shafts
Jaycee tubes Stainless Steel Racing PushRod Tubes
Shooting for 0.050” 0.030" deck ~8.5:1 Cr

Since the WebCam 218/119 is too much cam for a single carb consider, Dual Dells 36's with 30 or 32mm venturi's.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
For a bus you want this: http://www.ahnendorp.com/Beetle-typ-1-engineparts-...-1828.html In the correct model for your vehichle of course.
- up to 15% more usable torque where you need it compared to a regular header. AND nice and quiet.

T
Straight from the website, "The noise is very dump, but not to loud!" Think

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Why expensive JayCee tubes and stock pushrods?? Put your money where it counts; buy aluminum pushrods that you can cut to the apprpriate length for proper geometry. CB has windage tubes for about $20.

Also, cut your cylinders to get a tighter deck, like .050, and have your chambers reworked for the amount of compression you'll need (without a step). You'll benefit in power by improving squish, and unshrouding your intake valve for better cylinder filling. If the 050s don't come with it, opt to get your seats blended into the ports on the intake side.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Straight from the website, "The noise is very dump, but not to loud!" Think
- Yeah, I noticed that too. Not sure what he meant by that(?) Rolling Eyes

I kinda agree. With that cam and set up there is not really any need for fancy pushrods. Stock will do just fine.
Stock rockers, bolted shafts, fine. I would however swop to Porsche style adjusters.
0,030" deck is too risky and there is no real benefit from it... Stay at 0,040 to 0,047" That is good and safe.

T
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

I already have everything listed in the OP so no change to rods or crank, it's all balanced now too
I didn't add the full flow bits but yeah that will be going on, just not pulled the trigger on a cooler yet. I have a Gene Berg oil pump cover, is that any use?

I have some Jaycee PR tubes on the shelf... Thought why not but you're right... Needless expense. they can be saved for another or sold on...

Already have 40 IDFs too.

We'll see what the heads come out like, I have asked Roy to unshroud the chambers to the cylinder walls so fingers crossed they're ready to go Smile

Don't like <0.040" deck btw... Case has been decked so I'm expecting shims, we will mock up and go from there. If needs be I will buy cut to length aluminium pushrods but if I can get the geo on with stock that'd suit me.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Don´t use the stock PR´s with that cam. The intake side lifts higher than the tips will handle. You end up killing the tips real fast.

T
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
I didn't add the full flow bits but yeah that will be going on, just not pulled the trigger on a cooler yet. I have a Gene Berg oil pump cover, is that any use?

Oh, that Gene Berg oil pump cover will be really nice. Better! Yeah, I didn't stop and think about those push-rods the stock ones hit even on my Webcam 163 which is only .420" or so lift at the valve, they do work at my lift but the rocker is digging into the two I have on my engine just a little, not bad.

I did not run an external oil cooler and my bus engine the (1800cc Type 1) Below does not seem to need it. The MOFOCO 40 Heads should be good heads, I would have them port matched to the IDF Manifolds. Probably those heads will need at least Single HD springs etc...
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

I think I will run a cooler, just to be on the safe side seeing as the Mrs will be driving it more than me... Hope the Mofoco Heads come good! yeah I have some untouched IDF manifolds ready to match up when the heads arrive Smile
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

That's true, stock pushrods and rockers will probably bind.
it is possible in some cases to grind the rockers to allow more travel, but I think most people would not do it, besides me Laughing
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

So I've finally been making progress on those engine, got some OE 8mm head studs cleaned up and ready for action
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
And now the short block is all together I have managed to get some DH measurements to work out the CR.
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

0.72x/0.73mm on the 3/4 side.
50cc chambers from Roy and a 0.75mm barrel spacer for the ~1.475mm deck will give me 8.67:1.
I expect this to be slightly off as I've never seen a barrel spacer in spec but I'll get them ordered and see how they mic up.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
I already have everything listed in the OP so no change to rods or crank, it's all balanced now too

I have some Jaycee PR tubes on the shelf... Thought why not but you're right... Needless expense. they can be saved for another or sold on...

Already have 40 IDFs too.

We'll see what the heads come out like, I have asked Roy to unshroud the chambers to the cylinder walls so fingers crossed they're ready to go Smile

Don't like <0.040" deck btw... Case has been decked so I'm expecting shims, we will mock up and go from there. If needs be I will buy cut to length aluminium pushrods but if I can get the geo on with stock that'd suit me.

UK Luke 72 wrote:
So I've finally been making progress on those engine, got some OE 8mm head studs cleaned up and ready for action
[img]
[/img]
And now the short block is all together I have managed to get some DH measurements to work out the CR.
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]

0.72x/0.73mm on the 3/4 side.
50cc chambers from Roy and a 0.75mm barrel spacer for the ~1.475mm deck will give me 8.67:1.
I expect this to be slightly off as I've never seen a barrel spacer in spec but I'll get them ordered and see how they mic up.

That's a great photo of your head & cylinder, the chamber looks great.
I too saw the JC Jaycee PR tubes at a VW show and decided I wanted them (I haven't installed them yet.),
yes they were expensive for what they do, but I like the idea of the ability of fixing leaking a push rod tube.
I was kind of shocked to see someone suggest a .030 deck height,Shocked
your 1.475mm equals .058" deck which is good, but you know that already.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

Thanks Ach, I kinda want to unshroud the valves a little more to give me a couple of extra CC so I can have the shims ground down 0.010" or so and get closer to the 0.040-0.047" Alstrup recommends but I'll get the 1-2 side mocked up and maybe swap some bits around... The 8.6:1 I currently have seems perfect so perhaps I shouldn't get too involved and just run it at 1.475mm
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1835 camper engine Reply with quote

If the alternative is 9-1 with a tighter deck I´d take that over 8,6 with 1,47 mm deck. Then you can limit the ignition with a degree or two if it should become a problem. It wohnt as long as youre staying on the main island, but if you take it to Spain or Italy in mid summer the cooling needs to be perfect and the octane good. - They have good fuel these places so its not a problem.

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: