Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Beautiful bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Beautiful bus.

Thanks! The details to finish seem never ending, but we are closer than we were....!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:
Sub hatch trim before during and after polishing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like you over-polished the trim and removed the swirl marks? Nice bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Tom Mohr wrote:

Used a magnifying glass and no swirl marks were visable, they were pretty rough when I started. The top one in the photo hadn't been touched yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

yes, these pieces of aluminum had 'engine turning' from the factory.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:
buseric wrote:
Tom Mohr wrote:

Used a magnifying glass and no swirl marks were visable, they were pretty rough when I started. The top one in the photo hadn't been touched yet.
I can see the turning on the first piece.

I cleaned my trim very well with lacquer thinner and a rag, followed with 1 thorough pass with some aluminum polish.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

I tried like hell to save the turning. Used everything under the sun BEFORE the 0000 steel wool and polish.
Thank you for sharing !
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:
I tried like hell to save the turning. Used everything under the sun BEFORE the 0000 steel wool and polish.
Thank you for sharing !
drill press and fine wire wheel cup, map out your pattern first
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

looks like that bus found the right owner. nice work bringing it back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

DanM wrote:

X2! Very nice!!
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
DanM wrote:

X2! Very nice!!

Thanks for the compliments!
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Tom Mohr wrote:
buseric wrote:
Tom Mohr wrote:

I can see the turning on the first piece.

I cleaned my trim very well with lacquer thinner and a rag, followed with 1 thorough pass with some aluminum polish.

if you have a press drill you can easily redo the engine turning:
Here is a sample: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=17133
search engine turning on google search and you will find plenty of way to redo it super easily
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Here is a video:

Link

My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Need some visual help, I am attaching a door table to the door and prop rod. Could someone post some pictures showing the backside of the table and attachment to hinges and prop? I believe the screws may come through the top of the table and are countersunk in the top surface ?
Thank you
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

The hinges for the door table are screwed to the backside of the table and the door with the same M2.9x13 screws that are used for the wood interior panels.
The prop bracket is secured to the table with aluminum rivets. Not sure what size screws are used to attach the other end of the prop to the bottom of the door; hopefully someone will chime in with the size.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Looks like I will need a couple of the aforementioned aluminum rivets........also what is the distance from the edge of the table for the first rivet?
Thank you
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

The zero point on the tape is the door.
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Not complete yet, but enough to make its 1st show at the So Cal Treffen. Thanks for stopping by if you happened to be there !

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:
Not complete yet, but enough to make its 1st show at the So Cal Treffen. Thanks for stopping by if you happened to be there !

Hey Tom, this is Dan from San Diego, I stopped on by and forgot that I had seen your build thread! And even made a few comments. Happy to see it in person in retrospect now. Hope you get lucky with the sprinkler head by the way!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: L345 SO23 (1960) Resurrection Reply with quote

Dan,
It was very nice meeting you. Glad you stopped by. Appreciate the information you have shared. In chatting with some folks at the show they did not realize it was mostly original paint.
It was awesome weather and great people!
Thanks, Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: