Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sallyandsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

Hi all

Just picked one up and first thing was to cut the single port manifold to fit my twin port. I have a 12v manifold heater to fit so that should sort the iceing. I can see the idle screws at the bottom but they seem to have little affect. How do I tune this carb.

Please see pictures and video below.

https://youtu.be/Xzi4BNIRMCA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

upload
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

if the idle screws are not much effective idle jets can be too big. have you checked if they are stock size or reamed larger?

a question about the filter. does it have problems with the hood? is there enough clearance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sallyandsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
if the idle screws are not much effective idle jets can be too big. have you checked if they are stock size or reamed larger?

a question about the filter. does it have problems with the hood? is there enough clearance?

Not sure about jets so will check. Clearance with filter is fine with decklid stand offs.
sallyandsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

If anyone has any setup diagrams or pictures, that would be a big help.
sallyandsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

Anyone?
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

I don't think Bugspray's have idle jet, I think they have fixed air bleeds in the top but some times guys drill them out. do you know what main jets are in it? they made the Bugspray in two sizes [200 cfm and 300 cfm], do you know which one you have?
How are the tips of the idle screws? are the sharp? some times they get tightened up too tight and break off the point in the seat or they are scared up and don't meter air well.
The are also know to have worn out throttle shaft bushings and have vacuum leaks, try spraying some carb cleaner around the both sides of the throttle shaft and listen for the rpms to speed up.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
sallyandsean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
I don't think Bugspray's have idle jet, I think they have fixed air bleeds in the top but some times guys drill them out. do you know what main jets are in it? they made the Bugspray in two sizes [200 cfm and 300 cfm], do you know which one you have?
How are the tips of the idle screws? are the sharp? some times they get tightened up too tight and break off the point in the seat or they are scared up and don't meter air well.
The are also know to have worn out throttle shaft bushings and have vacuum leaks, try spraying some carb cleaner around the both sides of the throttle shaft and listen for the rpms to speed up.

Casey

Hi there and thanks for the reply. Mines a 2100 so assume its a 200. I can feel a little play in the shaft but sprayed carb cleaner and I didn't change the revs. Not looked at the jets or idle screws so will do that next and report back. Thanks
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

Show a picture of the bottom of the carb where it bolts to the manifold
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

Many, many, moons ago Gene Berg had a very useful tutorial in their Book of Instructions. It is copyrighted, and they protect that with enthusiasm, so I won't post it here.
Perhaps if you contact them and make a product purchase they would include a copy for you.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

sallyandsean wrote:
Hi all

Just picked one up and first thing was to cut the single port manifold to fit my twin port. I have a 12v manifold heater to fit so that should sort the iceing. I can see the idle screws at the bottom but they seem to have little affect. How do I tune this carb.

Please see pictures and video below.

https://youtu.be/Xzi4BNIRMCA

hi I used to run and race the bug spray carbs heres what I found out that makes them run .lower the float I used a 5/16 drill bit under the float .the bug spray likes 1 lb of fuel pressure yes the carb does not like a lot of fuel pressure also you must use a 009 dizy or a Mallory I like the Mallory because you can set it at 12 degs. int. all in by 32 degs good luck spencerfvee

upload
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

sallyandsean wrote:
PEPPE wrote:

Not sure about jets so will check. Clearance with filter is fine with decklid stand offs.
hi again I see you have no heat to the manifold that carb on cold days will never run right .it will ice up . looks like your running a after market fuel pump. I would be willing to bet your running from 3lbs to 6 lbs of fuel pressure way to high for a bug spray carb lower it buy using a fuel pressure gage to 1lb of fuel pressure if you don't that carb will run way to rich .that's why you cant set the idle jets the idle jet should only be set at 1/2 turn out any more than that the carb runs way to rich .also the 200 cfm carb works the best on a stock motor the 300 cmf carb would be way to big for a stock motor good luck spencerfvee
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 2100 bugspray technical help needed Reply with quote

If you want to fit a velocity stack on your Bugspray one for a Kadron will fit...

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: