Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drum brake improvements
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Drum brake improvements Reply with quote

I hope the vintage speed section is right for this topic.

I have a 59 beetle with a 1500SP, planning to build a new motor for it in the next little while. I would like to address the brakes before hand. I would like to keep it on drums.

The plan in my head it to run the type 3 rear drums on the back, and the stock size drums on the front.

What I would like to know is starting with this base what can be done to make these drums their best (not using 356 brakes).

Arcing the shoes, vents/scoops on the backing plates, wheel cylinder sizes, mastercylinder selection, metallic/semi metallic pads? and any other ideas
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brake improvements Reply with quote

I'd look to old formula vee information for drum brake improvement answers.

The single biggest improvement I ever found was making sure the shoes arcs matched the inside diameter of the brake drums.

I'm not sure the FV guys can/could re-line their shoes with better friction material or not (rules), but that is another option. I think there is still a SCORE offroad VW class that

Check out arcing shoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n02-GU_VYs

parts
http://www.quixoteracing.com/parts.htm

https://www.veesportracing.com/
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brake improvements Reply with quote

Try installing a master cylinder with a slightly smaller bore. When I installed one, it significantly reduced the amount of effort used to stop my car.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611023B

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brake improvements Reply with quote

I used to get super stop or whatever they were called shoes from Kymco. Semi Metallic. I would run one semi metallic and one organic shoe in each wheel. It seemed to be a good mix of better braking without eating up drums. Not sure where you get them any more
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brake improvements Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I used to get super stop or whatever they were called shoes from Kymco. Semi Metallic. I would run one semi metallic and one organic shoe in each wheel. It seemed to be a good mix of better braking without eating up drums. Not sure where you get them any more

Erik, did you run the semi metallic as the leading shoe or the trailing shoe?

I think Aircooled.net still sells them.

I run semi metallics and they do wear the drums faster and dust more but stop better than organic shoes. As stated above arcing the shoes, good spring hardware, and adjusting the shoes frequently is important.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum brake improvements Reply with quote

leading, but on a type 3, all fronts are leading Laughing
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Drum brake improvements Reply with quote

that's what I did indeed, type 3 drums in the rear. In the front 40mm stock drums using 23.8mm 1302/1303 brake cylinders. 19mm master brake cylinder. goodridge classic brake hoses all round. Religned the brake shoes with light competition material instead of the 'stock' friction material. Very happy with the results. I even would like to get 1 step further and use pre 63 bus brake shoes as they are a little wider... it will fit with some work... This because it is on the edge of to much brake in the rear, especially when the car is empty and only me in the car. With 2 people and some luggage, no problem due to enough pressure on the tires/axle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: