Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A4 mounts for my ALH engine.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

It’s been a while I wanted to have these mounts on my ALH. An attempt to reduce resonance.
Main focus was not to modify OE mounting points or fittings. The Mod should be a add-on so that problem faced I should be able to replace these back to OE ‘TD’ mounts with ease.

I started of with the right side custom fabricated Bracket. Much easier to work with. Smile
By carefully measuring A4 mounting point plus adding A4 mounting bracket wall thickness, M9 hole was drilled on to the engine bracket.

A4 mounting bracket details,
-A4 mounts are from Audi Quattro 2.0 L(fits 2005 to 2008). Make:- Meyle.
-A4 mount dia is app 4”. Mounting stud dia, M8.
-Mounting bracket plate thickness, 6mm.
-Main fasten stud is of high tensile threaded to the bracket plate, later it’s end was Mig welded to the plate.
- An additional two M8 bolts for the plate, more security to the bracket.
-Self locking nuts were used for securing.
-Difference in hole between TD mount top stud centre & A4 mount top stud centre is close to 13mm.
Overall you will need 22mm flat surface on the mounting bracket to have both TD & A4 mount holes.

Yes I know, Visuals are the better way to explain.

Right side mounting Visuals.

Mid pic shows a Buffer attached. In case the mount bottom bolt snaps, the buffer gives a cushioning for the mount & a bit of time before the mount is replaced.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Pic shows Mount direction option. I opted for the second.

I want your experience for me to choose which is better or correct? Thanks for the input in adv.

Bracket assembly before getting back to the engine.

Engine right side resting on A4 mount. The fit was drop in perfect.

Pic is taken at an angle to have the whole bracket view in the pic.

Next, left side modification to replace TD mount with A4 mount .
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Nice job! I have the earlier generation of these mounts on my van, they work great. I believe the top is shaped the way it is just to lock it in position so you can turn the nut without the stud spinning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Looks like a great option for folks running with the '83 and later carrier bars. I'm also using an earlier version of those mounts on my 15 degree ALH build. I'm kinda worried that they may be too stiff, so I'd love to hear about how you like them over time.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Nice job! I have the earlier generation of these mounts on my van, they work great. I believe the top is shaped the way it is just to lock it in position so you can turn the nut without the stud spinning.

Thanks xoo00oox, I’m your fan.
The mount direction, there are two ways to fit. That’s the Info I want.
I have cut the top guide(mounting plate is to wide to have these guides). Bottom pin can hold it in place.

Thanks Zeitgeist 13, I will leave a feed back once Mod is finished & cover few K miles on it.

A4 mount for the left side engine bracket.

Here, I decided to fabricate a new engine bracket(replace ‘direct fit’ TD bracket).
A small flashback,
TD bracket didn’t allow the ALH exhaust manifold to fit. The ALH Turbo was abstracting the bracket. To over come that, I used the TD manifold & modified the Turbo of both. Cut the TD Turbo neck & welded it to the ALH Turbo(ALH Turbo separated from it’s manifold). This Mod was able to push the Turbo back & allow the access for the bracket.
Present,
After putting on 20K km the TD neck cracked. The welded point gave away. Welding cast Iron is very tricky. Since, I had clamped a lever from Turbo to the Block for safety, I was able to make back home(130km away) minus Turbo boost.
This setback forced me to go for the new bracket & have a ‘OE’ ALH manifold.

First, I went ahead with the bracket modification.
I kept the TD bracket as a reference. Point ‘A’ to point ‘B’ will be the same, arm route will be different.
Made sure all details match the TD bracket expect the arm.

Bracket details,
-Bracket arm Tube, 40mm/60mm with 2mm thick.
-Block mounting plate, 6mm ms plate.
- the cantilever mounting flat:- 50mm wide, 155mm long & 6mm thick.
-The offset of the TD bracket, from block to mounting point, 50mm.
- the mounting flat cantilever app 100mm.

Visuals as usual,

Development details.

Finial check for the Mount fitting height(the arm length & mounting height matches the TD bracket).

Please note:-TD left bracket has flat surface space to have A4 hole.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

The original bracket located the mount more centered under the load. Your design solves the turbo clearance problem, but do you think the A4 mount will be happy with the loads offset to one side as shown? I believe those A4 mounts are designed to carry the load directly over them. Thank you for sharing. mark
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.
Yes there is a bit of concern. The finished part will have stiffeners at all critical points. The cantilever flat gets a support at the top & bottom. Max over hang will be 40mm at the mounting point.
TD bracket does have a offset of 50mm,

Keeping my fingers crossed for a trial run. If nothing works I can always go back to TD mounts. Smile
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Bracket finial progress for A4 mounting.
Had few sleepless nights to perfect the engine bracket. Made sure the engine height & position match the old ‘TD’ bracket(I lost count on removing & refitting work).

Visual details,
A:- The bracket gets a Co2 weld. The bracket should hold engine weight & vibration. B:- Finial product after the weld & the grind. Time to get a coat of paint.

Checking the mounting height with the TD bracket. Arrow shows the line matching each other mounting point.

The Bracket looks Glamour’s. Stiffeners(arrow shown) were added to all critical places.

-ALH getting it’s new wing. Few more days to get the van on the runway.

The bolt on the left is for 'optional' extra clamping to the block’s front top.

It’s time to replace TD mount with the A4 mount for the left side too.
o-town
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

that looks like a stout bracket, well done.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Your Right Side motor mount bracket is very similar to mine (red instead of yellow Very Happy ). My welder grabbed a piece of 3/4 " rebar for the arced brace.

Your Left Side motor mount bracket would not accommodate my exhaust set-up.

For what its worth, I started with hydraulic mounts but went back to the OE rubber mounts.

Also, I've been looking at ways to improve the Transmission mount......... would be nice to be able to use the OE Jetta motor mount.

I like your work ..... thanks for sharing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Thanks o-town, for your thoughts.
This helps me to share more.

Thanks Andy,
Yes, bracket is much similar to yours. Down side of it when the bracket needs to be removed, AC hose has to be disconnected.( This kind of work is very rare).
Replacing mount, no need of removing the bracket.
The A4 mounts used are designed for 2.0L engine. The one I have is of heavy duty. The Transmission mount is OE ‘TD mount’. The rubber mount was replaced by power flex mount.
The exhaust route is much similar to TD. 5” extension pipe was added to the Turbo flange neck after replacing to the ALH manifold. In fact I have used TD pipe.
In my next post I will add pics of the present exhaust route.
New brackets can take both 'TD' or 'A4' mounts.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

That's good that your design is such that you can use either MM. I like that. I had to do some drilling to accommodate the OE MMs.

Yeah, I used bolts to hold the right side brace in place. So, it can be removed to work with AC system.

Yes, I'd like to see photos of exhaust set-up.

Thanks for sharing..
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Exhaust rerouting.

Yes, engine’s left side is still resting on ‘TD’ mount along with the new engine Bracket.

-A 5” long extension pipe was added to the flange neck. This was needed due to the Turbo unit moving further back when ALH manifold was fitted.
-A slight change in flange angle to match the ALH turbo out.

The exhaust pipe runs towards the back of the engine Block & comes outside the carrier bar running back parallel to it. Rest is of old setup. The Cat & the Muffler hangs on to the chassis with a single point rubber mount.

Rerouting of exhaust pipe.
EX:- Extension pipe. TD:-Donor. TDI:- Donor. The exhaust mount fitting is bolted to the chassis.

Exhaust end pipe.

Now nothing is going to stop me in fitting the left A4 mount. Smile
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Wow!

Nice work! I like the exhaust system. It fits well with your Left Side Motor Mount Bracket!

See, I believe "mounting the ALH" engine is part of the reason there are fewer of them than other engine swaps. There is just no engine mounting "kit" available that I am aware of. The info for the electric aspect is widely available.

So, maybe your work will inspire a few more ALH TDI (not M-TDI) conversions. There are more and more donor cars becoming available as they get older and cheaper. A well maintained engine should last beyond 400k miles, including the Turbo (my 2000 Jetta, basically OE, has over 360k miles on it).

As I may have stated, I'm working on a "lower" profile oil filtering system and modification of the accessory bracket to "rotate" (lay over) the Injection Pump for additional clearance for the OE cover. That, together with lowering the engine mounting by about 1 inch (26mm) should provide ample clearance to use the OE engine cover....
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I’m longing to see your new project.
As I have noticed, each ALH fitting is different from other. In mine, most of Donor & TD parts were used(Single window spare parts Smile ).

Small update on A4 mounts.
I drew few miles with left ‘TD’ & right ‘A4’ mount.
I could make a lot of difference in this drive. Felt lot smoother take-off.
Once left mount is finished, I’ll give it a real test.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: A4 mounts for my ALH engine. Reply with quote

Finial work on the A4 mounts.

The approach of left side mounting bracket was different. Here, I eliminated use of bolting type bracket for the A4 mount.
The ‘TD’ carrier bar’s mounting Base plate was used to develop a bracket. Here too, option of using ‘TD’ mount or ‘A4’ mount was considered.

Mounting bracket development details. Flat for extra strengthen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: